News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Bullitt Mustang kept in hiding revealed.

Started by 375instroke, January 15, 2018, 01:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

Mustang guys have always known about the Bullitt hero-car ending up in a midwestern family's hands.  It's not a surprise that it still exists, it's just a surprise that they finally came out of the closet with it. 

It had been used as a regular car for a while.  It makes sense that it may have gotten repairs at some point.

BTW, Steve McQueen wanted the Mustang to look a little scuffed up (before the chase) as part of the Bullitt character.  Some of the dents were intentional weathering.

The stunt-car Mustang that turned up recently was a real surprise.  

375instroke

They say a smoke machine was used when McQueen did the reverse burnout during the chase.  The ducting for that is still in the trunk.

VegasCharger

Quote from: ECS on January 19, 2018, 03:54:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qd6yirl2dg

Here's another video on the same subject. You have to sit through the music part of it but it shows some good shots of the Charger and Mustang. Worth watching IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JqHgfTYrEk

:cheers:

keepat

Quote from: ECS on January 19, 2018, 03:31:53 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on January 19, 2018, 03:23:21 PM
There were two cars used for filming.    One performed the majority of the stunts.   The other car (this one) was the beauty shot car.  

The other car was supposedly found in Mexico.  This was the car deemed as the "exact" same car to used in the movie.  For the record, that front end shot is PRIOR to the chase scene so there wasn't any damage from the chase.  Now it's being "disclosed" that the car was "redone" by Warner Brothers prior to him getting the car.  Chrome rocket panels have been added as well.  They claimed this was the "exact" used in all the "hero" scenes and "original" to 1968 but refurbished by Warner Brothers.

The movie cars had the aluminum rocker moldings, they were just painted green so they would not reflect light back to the camera.  The movie cars also had an unusual side mirror that was painted green is well. It was also lowered so not to block or shine back at McQueen.
Pat

bill440rt

Just learned something from a friend about this car that's VERY interesting.
This car was purchased by a family from in 1974 from Madison, NJ. The son was using it as just a regular commuter car, and would have it parked at the train station in Madison during his commute to work in NYC.
My friend told me, also who lived in Madison and unbeknownst to him at the time, but he would park right next to this very same car at the train station during his commute into NY as well. He would often just say hello or good morning to the Mustang's owner, without even realizing what the car was. Remember, this was probably in the '70's when it was "just a car" and Bullitt haven't even reached cult status like it has in recent times.
I was blown away when he told me this story.
Just thought I'd share.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

6bblgt

"Bullitt" filmed spring of '68 was released in movie theaters 10/11/68 & was the 5th highest grossing movie of 1968

5 years later it made its TV debut on CBS' Thursday night movie 11/1/73, by then the '68 Mustang would've been just a "used car"

the 1973 OPEC "Oil Crisis" began in October '73.

Aero426

A TON of information, documentation and back story on the Bullitt car here.     Pull up a chair.   

http://www.bradbowling.com/jan-14-18-bullitt-mustang-discovery/

72Charger72

I thought I saw an episode of Pawn Stars where Rick had bought McQueens bullitt?
Did he get taken lol?  :slap:

erndog

hemi-hampton