News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sears & Roebuck

Started by Paul G, January 17, 2018, 11:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Buying a watch in 1880

If you were in the market for a watch in 1880, would you know where to get one? You would go to a store, right?

Well, of course you could do that, but if you wanted one that was cheaper and a bit better than most of the store watches, you went to the train station!

Sound a bit funny?

Well, for about 500 towns across the northern United States, that's where the best watches were found.

Why were the best watches found at the train station?

The railroad company wasn't selling the watches, not at all. The telegraph operator was.

Most of the time the telegraph operator was located in the railroad station because the telegraph lines followed the railroad tracks from town to town.

It was usually the shortest distance and the right-of-way had already been secured for the rail line.

Most of the station agents were also skilled telegraph operators and it was the primary way they communicated with the railroad.

They would know when trains left the previous station and when they were due at their next station.

And it was the telegraph operator who had the watches.

As a matter of fact, they sold more of them than almost all the stores combined for a period of about 9 years.

This was all arranged by "Richard", who was a telegraph operator himself.  He was on duty in the North Redwood, Minnesota train station one day when a load of watches arrived from the East. It was a huge crate of pocket watches. No one ever came to claim them.

So Richard sent a telegram to the manufacturer and asked them what they wanted to do with the watches.

The manufacturer didn't want to pay the freight back, so they wired Richard to see if he could sell them.

So Richard did.

He sent a wire to every agent in the system asking them if they wanted a cheap, but good, pocket watch.  He sold the entire case in less than two days and at a handsome profit.

That started it all.

He ordered more watches from the watch company and encouraged the telegraph operators to set up a display case in the station offering high quality watches for a cheap price to all the travellers.

It worked!
It didn't take long for the word to spread and, before long, people other than travellers came to the train station to buy watches.

Richard became so busy that he had to hire a professional watch maker to help him with the orders.  His name was Alvah.

And the rest is history as they say.

The business took off and soon expanded to many other lines of dry goods.

Richard and Alvah left the train station and moved their company to Chicago -- and it's still there.

YES, IT'S A LITTLE KNOWN FACT  that for a while in the 1880's, the biggest watch retailer in the country was at the train station.

It all started with a telegraph operator:Richard Sears and partner Alvah Roebuck!

Bet You Didn't Know That!
OK, Maybe you did; I didn't!

Now that's History.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

LaOtto70Charger

And know you the rest of the story.

68X426

Sears and Roebuck will soon be history.  :flush:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

birdsandbees

Sears last day in Canada was Monday past !
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

LaOtto70Charger

I always liked Sears.  Wish they would have done better on their internet sites and started doing ship to store at the small local stores.  Once they started selling stuff other than their own merchandise on the website it became a pain.  One thing I like about Walmart. 

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 68X426 on January 17, 2018, 03:50:13 PM

Can't wait. Rot in Hell, Sears Inc.

DeltaV

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on January 18, 2018, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: 68X426 on January 17, 2018, 03:50:13 PM

Can't wait. Rot in Hell, Sears Inc.

Totally agree. If only they would have a grave upon which I could dance.
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

68X426

Quote from: DeltaV on January 27, 2018, 09:19:25 AM
If only they would have a grave upon which I could dance.

They do - it's their empty stores that are grave sites.

Deservedly so.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Kern Dog

If you ever wanted to shop at Sears....HURRY UP.

JR

The last 30 years of Sears will go down in history books as a textbook example of how not to run a business.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

DeltaV

Quote from: 68X426 on January 27, 2018, 11:14:55 AM
Quote from: DeltaV on January 27, 2018, 09:19:25 AM
If only they would have a grave upon which I could dance.

They do - it's their empty stores that are grave sites.

Deservedly so.

A cremation is in order!
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel