News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what tire brands?

Started by misty440, January 18, 2018, 04:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misty440

Hey guys,
Looking to purchase new rims "Basset" 15x7 front 15x8 rear. want to fit 295/50's in back and 235/60's in front. I had BFG Radial T/A's and looking for options for what brands you guys run for those sizes? Will only be driven on occasional nice days and weekends. Not a daily driver. 3.23 rear and slightly modified 440c.i. 727 Trans w/3sp full manual. Will mostly see city driving with some occasional highway miles. Are BFG's the most common brand or has something new come along. I have 20yr old tires on her now. She has been in hibernation that long.
Thanks for the advice,
Chris
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

lukedukem

I had BFGs but they began to yellow on the lettering. I went with cooper tires and the lettering has stayed bright white. If the lettering is if no concern then either is good.
I too am thinking about going with the basset wheels for my super bee.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Nacho-RT74

What could be the reason Firehawk Indy500s were discontinued? They are/were to me the best ones!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

Cooper cobras. Equivalent to the bfg, but 15-20 per tire less.

HPP

Mickey Thompson SR is the latest street radial carcass design out there. H speed rated, softer compounds, decent tread design. This tire is available in 15-20 diameters. Maxxis Marauder is another newer carcass design with a tread reminescent of the Goodyear Gatorback. Also H speed rated, but harder tread compound than the MT.

Cooper Cobra and Mickey Thompson ST are twins of different names. Better than BFG and probably the most similar.

There are other off makes out there still from Dean, Mile Master, and a couple others if you want absolutely street oriented, S or T rated tires.

Numerous companies offer d.o.t. approved drag tires in 15" diameters.

BFGs are still available from some outlets if you really like them.

Lennard

Good information HPP, thanks.

misty440

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I will be choosing the Cooper Cobra Radial GT's. I was searching for a tire shop that can balance the Bassett rims as the rims are supposed to be mounted to a flange and balanced off of the bolt circle and not the hub and cannot find anyone that still has those flanges. If the Bassett rims are balanced from the will they not be road worthy?

HPP

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the balance. Through the  90s when I raced oval track, we never searched out flange balance vs lug balance and never had any issues with balance. Heck, for that matter, on occasion we never used more than a bubble balance as on site tire/rim swaps didn't allow dynamic balancing during an evening of racing.

Are your Bassets are not d.o.t. approved? If not, do you have the matching lug nuts? The race versions have different seat angles than d.o.t. versions.

misty440

thanks HPP,
have not bought them yet. they are DOT approved and i will be buying the lug nuts from them as well.

68ChargerJMP

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (345/30/19)

sccachallenger

Quote from: misty440 on January 21, 2018, 10:03:40 PM
thanks HPP,
have not bought them yet. they are DOT approved and i will be buying the lug nuts from them as well.

Yes, race stock car wheels use a 45 degree seat, stock Mopar steel wheels are 60 degree seats, best not to mix 'em.
I haven't tried any, but see some Mastercraft tires in 15" sizes too.