News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The real future of hot rodding - a '68 Mustang gone electric

Started by Mike DC, January 21, 2018, 09:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70B5Cuda

Quote from: HPP on January 22, 2018, 10:25:01 AM
Electric cars to carry a certain safety issue with them as their silent running does not alert pedestrians to their presence. As their numbers go up, expect car/pedestrian incidents to go up as well. Of course the remedy to that is to give them simulated engine sounds, a hum, or worse yet, some sort of beeper.

This reminds me of a classic episode of THE OFFICE (episode called "The duel") in which Dwight and Andy are in a feud because they are both dating the same lady. They set up a time to meet in the office parking lot after work and fight it out to see who gets the girl. Andy attaches a note to the fence for Dwight and while Dwight is reading it (with his back to the parking lot), Andy drives up silently behind Dwight in his PRIUS and pins Dwight's legs against the fence. It was hilarious.
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

alfaitalia

Quote from: JB400 on January 22, 2018, 08:12:05 PM
Sorry, but there's no phobia to pin it on.  It's the way the world works. Once a new idea catches on and becomes mainstream, something else is going to get phased out.  The stables got phased out and replaced with garages when the horseless carriage become mainstream.  The Kodak camera got the ax when digital cameras become mainstream.

Just wait until a electric skateboard is perfected.  Then, you can 3d print your car in your choice of configuration and drive it. 

True but they did not ban use of the old Kodak....you can use it today if you wish in the same way you can still ride a horse! When the electric law comes in here in 2022 they wont ban petrol or diesel cars....they are just going to let the natural death of old cars occur and number will reduce naturally. I'm sure it would be the same there if/when it happens. The way electric cars are selling here already there might not be so many oil powered cars by 2022 anyway!! Over 130,000 electric cars where sold in the UK in 2017 (only 3500 in 2013!)....out of about 2.5million total sales. So not a lot (about 5.2%) but its growing super fast and will be near 10% this year.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mike DC

Agreed.  Economics will do more to cause the changeover than artificial restrictions. 

Some research is already saying that the total cost of ownership of EVs is beating gasoline now.  Electrics are dramatically simpler than gas drivetrains, mechanically speaking.  There are some big components that cost thousands of dollars . . . but that's it.  Those parts take a long time to fail.  Not much else needs maintenance.  Not much labor costs for any of it.  Etc.   

I love a rumbling gasoline engine as much as the next guy but its era is almost over.   

INTMD8

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 23, 2018, 09:15:21 AM

I love a rumbling gasoline engine as much as the next guy but its era is almost over.   

I wonder if they said that in 1884 when the first production electric vehicle was released for many of the same reasons cited here.  :scratchchin:
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 23, 2018, 09:15:21 AM

Some research is already saying that the total cost of ownership of EVs is beating gasoline now. 

Yes, research by proponents of electric cars.   No bias there, or anything. 

HPP

Anyone ever see a cradle to grave comparison of  electric vs petrol?

They may not produce emissions like a gasoline vehicle, which can be great for many urban areas, but they do, IMO, simply transfer the the carbon footprint from one place to another with electric generation, and create a different waste stream than a traditional car. Is it truly better or does it just make people feel better about it?

JR

Quote from: HPP on January 23, 2018, 09:53:51 AM
Anyone ever see a cradle to grave comparison of  electric vs petrol?

They may not produce emissions like a gasoline vehicle, which can be great for many urban areas, but they do, IMO, simply transfer the the carbon footprint from one place to another with electric generation, and create a different waste stream than a traditional car. Is it truly better or does it just make people feel better about it?

The electric cars still have a smaller carbon footprint over the life of the vehicle.

-As gasoline cars age, and components fail, it's common to see emissions equipment become inoperable. So the average 10 year old vehicle (especially in non emissions counties) likely pollutes significantly more than it's electric counterpart. With gas cars, were dependent on millions and millions of individuals to keep their cars running clean.  (We know how this turns out.)

- With electric, the power plants are responsible for the carbon footprint. But each and every year, plants become more efficient, and we develop and refine new ways to harvest electricity. Solar/hydro/wind/biomass etc, all are sources of clean energy, and if they are powering electric vehicles, the carbon footprint is significantly reduced.

-Overall, electric vehicles produce 9 times less C02 than gas powered ones. Source.

http://www.lightsonsolar.com/emissions-and-efficiency-in-electric-cars-versus-gasoline-cars/

But again, no reason why we can't have both. Let mom and pop have electric cars to drive to work, and save the gasoline and fun cars for us. There is no reason we can't enjoy both.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mike DC

QuoteYes, research by proponents of electric cars.   No bias there, or anything.  

They have always made the claim but it's not just them anymore.  The feedback from more mainstream sources is growing.  

QuoteAnyone ever see a cradle to grave comparison of  electric vs petrol?

I don't disagree.  I'm just pointing out that pretty soon EVs are gonna beat us on immediate practicality/performance alone, aside from the environmental stuff.  They are mechanically much simpler and they waste less energy between the throttle and the tires. 

Lawmakers can argue and dick around with subsidies for a while but the raw physics will eventually win out.  It's coming.  Big electric motors under the hood are becoming the better mousetrap.  

timmycharger

I am a huge Formula 1 fan and in the last 5 years or so there has been a push to make the engines more of a hybrid type which to me personally is awful as they are unreliable and make the cars sound like crap compared to the V12s, 10's and 8's that I remember. 

To take it even a step further, they have a new(ish) racing series called Formula E which is fully electric race cars. Very strange to hear/watch, and despite having a field of many former (washed up) F1 drivers, I am not seeing lots of hype around it.

Aero426

Quote from: timmycharger on January 23, 2018, 11:16:58 AM
I am a huge Formula 1 fan and in the last 5 years or so there has been a push to make the engines more of a hybrid type which to me personally is awful as they are unreliable and make the cars sound like crap compared to the V12s, 10's and 8's that I remember.  

To take it even a step further, they have a new(ish) racing series called Formula E which is fully electric race cars. Very strange to hear/watch, and despite having a field of many former (washed up) F1 drivers, I am not seeing lots of hype around it.

Manufacturers (Audi, Porsche, Jaguar) are literally FALLING OVER THEMSELVES to be involved with Formula E.     They have to change cars in mid-race because the cars can't make the distance.     It's a joke that does not appeal to most traditional race fans.      There is no way I will ever watch this.    It is the answer to a question that no one is asking.  

Mike DC

Electrics still suck at that (and may always suck at it).  Long ranges.  

A tank of gas is a better way to store a ton of energy in a small lightweight package.  The best batteries are still very big & heavy in comparison.  

Aero426

I see a number of old car enthusiasts posting more and more positive comments about electric cars.   It seems to me that if you really like your old cars,   you are being the enemy of yourself. 

alfaitalia

The more people they like electric cars (myself not included!) the better for everyone on the long term. Cleaner air aside....the less fuel they burn the more for us..lol! Our cars will be even more special when internal combustion engines are a novelty. The only issue (here in the UK at least) becomes when dino fueled cars become so scarce that the demand for petrol makes it uneconomic to refine. They probably won't happen in my life....but my son might struggle to get gas for his cars!

Electric cars..bring it on.
Note.....a customer of mine gave me a lift in his Tesla X.......I was very impressed. Nicely built with massive torque. .....and a ridiculous price.lol.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 23, 2018, 01:47:33 PM
but my son might struggle to get gas for his cars!

I am not so sure that will be the case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGabrorRS8

or if you prefer diesel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njIYHtFmcSs

The catch is that you need to have electrical energy to do the conversion process.  However, that could come from renewable solar, wind, water power sources...

Or even my favorite power source: Nuclear....

Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Chad L. Magee

As for the regular complaint of heavy batteries on electric cars, there is research in reducing the weight while increasing the amount of charge each can carry:

https://newatlas.com/solid-state-magnesium-battery/52386/

combined with:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18269-plastic-bags-recycled-into-nanotubes/

and this:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/29/samsung-graphene-ball-battery-fast-charging/

might yield what is needed.  The key to getting it to work right is in the correct combination of nanomaterials working in tandum....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

DAY CLONA

Quote from: JR on January 22, 2018, 07:55:21 PM
Quote from: JB400 on January 22, 2018, 06:20:15 PM
It's going to come to a choice some day soon.  Either enjoy your Charger as garage/ museum art, or convert it and enjoy it.

The choice is yours.

Im sorry, but that is a bit hyperbolic. I'll never understand the "they're coming for our V8s!" phobia.

No one took horses away when the car came along. No one is going to take away your classic car if electric cars become common place.

I think one day our gas powered vehicles will become like "horses", sure you can have one, just not on the public roads...

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Aero426

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 24, 2018, 09:19:46 AM

I think one day our gas powered vehicles will become like "horses", sure you can have one, just not on the public roads...

Red Barchetta

alfaitalia

Really?.....you cant take horses on the road in the USA???

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on January 24, 2018, 09:42:01 AM

Red Barchetta
" The Motor Law "
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

JR

Quote from: JR on January 22, 2018, 07:55:21 PM
Quote from: JB400 on January 22, 2018, 06:20:15 PM
It's going to come to a choice some day soon.  Either enjoy your Charger as garage/ museum art, or convert it and enjoy it.

The choice is yours.

Im sorry, but that is a bit hyperbolic. I'll never understand the "they're coming for our V8s!" phobia.

No one took horses away when the car came along. No one is going to take away your classic car if electric cars become common place.

100 years ago, there was an almost even distribution of electric, steam, and gasoline powered vehicles. Of course, gasoline won out, but no one then or now ever said you couldn't drive a steam powered vehicle on public roads. You are allowed to register a Stanley Steamer for road use just like any other vehicle.

Im confident, one day gasoline vehicles will be considered the same. A relic of the past, but perfectly legal to own and use if you want.

Again, big oil lobbies millions and millions of dollars in Washington every year. There's no possible way they'd let Washington outlaw their major Cash cow. Money talks, and the U.S. is owned by the oligarchs.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

timmycharger

I always joke with my car buddies that in the near future we will be fighting over gasoline like the Mad Max "Road Warrior" movie.   I can see it now, pulling beside a gas tanker on the highway and having someone jump out and syphon the gas while its moving  :rofl:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 24, 2018, 09:58:56 AM
Are there horses frequently cruising the roads in the UK???

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Troy

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 24, 2018, 09:58:56 AM
It's rather amazing what you can actually take on the roads here without a nanny state. Horses included. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/JungleVT/videos/2218104321664731/

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Aero426