News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 TF No 3rd gear

Started by Monziac, January 22, 2018, 07:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monziac

Hi, I just did a fresh rebuild on my 68 Charger 727 TF tranny. This is first Mopar as I am used to GM TH350 and such. I bought Carl Munroes book and followed it. It was a good reference and the tranny was very easy to go through. I took it out today and it feels very good. I have reverse, 1 and 2 but it will not shift or even try to go into 3rd. I know it's not the clutch because I have reverse. I suspect it's in the valve body but while I drop the pan is there something else I should look for? I did double check the front band is 72"lb and backed off 2.25 turns. Thanks, Jon

c00nhunterjoe

Not to 2nd guess you, but it definatly has no 3rd? If the kickdown is not adjusted properly, the 1-2 shift will be almost immediate and the 2-3 shift can be mistaken for the 1-2. Just clarifying before you dive into pressure readings and teardown.

Monziac

Yes, no 3rd. I can feel 1-2 and I have adjusted the linkage to account for the kickdown. Plus if it was in 3rd it wouldn't feel like 411 gears behind it. 😀

Thanks,
Jon

John_Kunkel

Disconnect the linkage at the trans lever and let the lever come full forward; if it still won't shift to 3rd the problem is internal, possibly governor related.

Just because Reverse is OK doesn't mean the front clutch isn't the problem, in Reverse the line pressure climbs to over 200 psi so a faulty front clutch will sometimes apply in Reverse but not 3rd.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Monziac

Finally got some time today and pulled the valve body. So far I have noticed it is missing the large check ball and the front pump check valve. Would either of those have an impact? 

Thanks,
Jon

John_Kunkel

Absence of the large check ball will cause the exact symptoms you're experiencing.

"Front pump check valve" in a '68? :confused:

Monziac

Thanks John, I read about the check ball in another thread and was hoping it was the issue. I initially bought the B&M shift kit not knowing about the Transgo tf2.  That kit said to leave out the 11/32 ball. I bought a TF2 kit this time. As for the check valve I was going by the pics in the Carl Munroe doc which showed the exact same valve body as mine but it showed a check valve. It said it was the early 66 year I think. This is my first Chrysler so I am learning as I go. I have since learned it's not used. Thanks!

Monziac

Update: After cleaning and assembling the valve body using the Transgo kit and installing the right check balls I have 3rd gear. Ahhhhhhh.... Shift points are very early, but I remember reading that adjusting the rod on the carb to the tranny raises those points.  Thanks guys! JON

John_Kunkel

Yes, lengthening the top rod will make it shift later for any given throttle setting.

Monziac

Thank you. You have been very helpful John!