News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater Control Valve

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, January 22, 2018, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I am in the process of starting my car for the first time since restoration. We did not have a lot of time tonight to get it running and up to temp but it did fire off. We were having a hard time getting fuel to the carb, and by the time we had done so we had flooded it by putting fuel in the carb and then ran out of time. Will start the car tomorrow. I noticed my HCV is dribbling coolant around the perimeter of the bottom tube in the engine compartment. Oh the joys of car restoration :brickwall: I did not restore the HCV...wish I would had but really did not know to do so. Anyway was wondering if there is a way to repair the dribble with the HCV in the car, or if the car comes up to temp will the copper tube swell to a point to seal off the dribble?

Bronzedodge

Is this an AC car?  If so, your carpet is already wet on the pass side.   :brickwall:  There's no quick fix, it needs repair or replacement.
Mopar forever!

Sixt8Chrgr

Yes an ac car. A new restoration. I will remove the control valve.

ALBSURE1091

What year? 68 & 69 HCV have a cable for temp control and the 70 has a vacuum control. They do not repo them so you have to rebuild or find a used one online. They can get pretty expensive if in good condition. I've seen them for $200 and higher. They sell a rebuild kit. Getting the valve out is a bit difficult. Very hard to fish the capillary tube from under the heater box through the firewall without breaking it. It definitely can be done. You just need to be patient and very careful. It's also a little tricky getting the valve apart but definitely doable if you take your time and be very careful not to break the tabs that hold it together. I had same issue on my 69. I elected to buy a rebuilt one for $225.00. I sold my old one for $100.00 so that absorbed some of the cost. Here is a link for rebuild kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DMT-Mopar-B-Body-1968-68-1969-69-AC-RANCO-Heater-Water-Valve-Repair-Kit-Seal/291465391227?fits=Year%3A1969%7CModel%3ACharger&hash=item43dcb0ec7b:g:oTgAAOSwONBZBAHZ&vxp=mtr

good luck.

Sixt8Chrgr

I had my original restored at Classic auto air. Looks great and works as it should. Totally happy with it. Except it cost me $200

ALBSURE1091

There is currently a guy on Ebay that will rebuild your valve for $111.00 With free shipping back. You just have to ship your valve to him and he rebuilds it. 24 hour turn around. I've seen his work. It is excellent!! Just type in search the factory valve part# 2837845 and you will find it.  I buy & rebuild used valves when I find them at a decent price. I list on Ebay for $200 and they usually sell within a week or two so $111.00 is a Very fair price for his service. His Ebay user name is delcojoe and he does excellent work.

Sixt8Chrgr

That is good info for sure. I sent mine to Classic Auto Air and they replated the base rebuilt the valve. It looked brand new. Paid $200

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ALBSURE1091

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on April 28, 2018, 05:36:13 AM
That is good info for sure. I sent mine to Classic Auto Air and they replated the base rebuilt the valve. It looked brand new. Paid $200

Based off what you are saying $200.00 is an EXCELLENT price for that.

Sixt8Chrgr

I thought so too. They did a really nice job. Valve works great, finish is very nice too.

ALBSURE1091

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on April 28, 2018, 07:41:06 PM
I thought so too. They did a really nice job. Valve works great, finish is very nice too.

How long ago did you do this?

Sixt8Chrgr

I got it back about a month ago. It took them a month to do rebuild it.