News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD ATOMIC

Started by mopar0166, January 25, 2018, 08:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

I'm trying to do a little research on the MSD ATOMIC Fuel Injection unit for my 440.

I currently am using the MSD ignition stuff and it seems like a good idea to add the MSD atomic and have them both work in conjunction.  for timing and tune.  The MSD directions for the Atomic say this is possible but wanted to see what folks here are thinking.   I'm currently running a 850 Holley double pumper classic. 

John_Kunkel

I don't see the Atomic doing anything that the FI Tech can't do for less money.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Or the current 850 imo.

mopar0166

OK, I didn't see a whole lot on here about the atomic.  Thought it'd be good to ask but through my searches I did see other relative posts that gave some nice info on other brands.

Especially on getting a tank pump etc. 

In your opinion what is greatest advantage to spending the money to upgrade to a FI unit etc?  I would think it would help with performance a little bit, and the over operation of the engine.

Love to know your thoughts.   Thanks in advance   :cheers:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 25, 2018, 10:10:16 PM
Or the current 850 imo.

The 850 Holley will control the timing curve?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 29, 2018, 06:43:22 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 25, 2018, 10:10:16 PM
Or the current 850 imo.

The 850 Holley will control the timing curve?

No, but a properly weighted and sprung distributor will.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: mopar0166 on January 29, 2018, 11:05:08 AM
OK, I didn't see a whole lot on here about the atomic.  Thought it'd be good to ask but through my searches I did see other relative posts that gave some nice info on other brands.

Especially on getting a tank pump etc. 

In your opinion what is greatest advantage to spending the money to upgrade to a FI unit etc?  I would think it would help with performance a little bit, and the over operation of the engine.

Love to know your thoughts.   Thanks in advance   :cheers:

If your current setup is properly tuned to a T, then you will see no worthwhile advantage going to a throttle body injection system in my opinion. If you cant tune a carb or curve a distributor and are looking to put something together, then its up your alley. I can think of alot more things to spend 1,000 dollars on. I can go out in the dead of winter and fire my pigs up with milled off choke plates and ridiculous camshafts, yet i see stock cars that wont start or run worth a hoot.
   In my opinion, and it is just that, tb injection is not worth it unless you are a laptop tuner in leu of old school abilities. And i do not say this as an antitechnology nitwit. I program plenty of laptop programs, i tune many modern style setups for people.  But nothing beats the feeling of a crisp responsive carb. I will put my carb up against any fitech cruiser in terms of crispness, hot and cold starts.

mopar0166

Yeah I was just saying that I currently run a 850 holley.  MSD claims to be able to hook up a 6al box and atomic together, which would then control the tune and timing. 

Well I guess that is what I was after, I love carbs and how my 440 currently runs.   As we all know theirs always room for improvement, that's why I started reading about the MSD option and questioning whether this is a feasible option for my car.    I highly appreciate the comments, I wont consider my self someone that would try and tune my car on a laptop.   I guess for now I'll stay with my setup and move on to other improvements. 

:cheers: :cheers:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 29, 2018, 06:57:24 PM
If your current setup is properly tuned to a T, then you will see no worthwhile advantage going to a throttle body injection system in my opinion. If you cant tune a carb or curve a distributor and are looking to put something together, then its up your alley. I can think of alot more things to spend 1,000 dollars on. I can go out in the dead of winter and fire my pigs up with milled off choke plates and ridiculous camshafts, yet i see stock cars that wont start or run worth a hoot.
   In my opinion, and it is just that, tb injection is not worth it unless you are a laptop tuner in leu of old school abilities. And i do not say this as an antitechnology nitwit. I program plenty of laptop programs, i tune many modern style setups for people.  But nothing beats the feeling of a crisp responsive carb. I will put my carb up against any fitech cruiser in terms of crispness, hot and cold starts.

Ah yes, and there are those that lament the passing of buggy whips.  ::)

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 31, 2018, 04:46:33 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 29, 2018, 06:57:24 PM

Ah yes, and there are those that lament the passing of buggy whips.  ::)

Nothing wrong with riding a horse from time to time  :rofl: ... but as i said, i enjoy modern fuel injection and old school carbs. I am good at tuning both. I enjoy driving both. I just dont feel fi tech holds any worthwhile advantage over a carb setup for the money spent.

John_Kunkel

You can lead a horse to water but..............

c00nhunterjoe

But if the water is green and stinks.....  :cheers: