News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2018 RM23V0A162301 sold for $275,000

Started by RealWing, January 22, 2018, 08:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealWing

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-PLYMOUTH-SUPERBIRD-214303

Lot #1326 - This Superbird is one of only 408 that were produced with the 440ci 6-Barrel engine and automatic transmission. It was a North Carolina barn find with 36,000 original miles (mileage not indicated on the title) and received a full restoration in 2017. It retains all of the original sheet metal (which is clean and rust-free) and its original metal nose cone. The straight body has been finished in factory-correct high-impact Limelight Green over a new interior that features a factory AM/FM radio and Rallye gauges with a tachometer. The weatherstripping, window seals, vinyl top and chrome bumper were all replaced during the restoration and many new parts were used, including a new alternator, wiper motor and master cylinder. The air cleaner, "Beep Beep" horn and hood insulation were all restored, and the jambs, motor and trunk compartments were all painted. The trunk includes a bumper jack for the rear, scissor jack for the front and a Polyglas spare tire on a matching Rallye wheel. Detailed restoration documentation, photos and the original Broadcast Sheet are included with the car.

(Price Includes Buyer Commission)
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

Aero426

Bench seat.  Column auto.  Many incorrect details.   

There is a reason they give you all those free drinks at the bidders bar. 

Kowal

Drivers door kept hanging up on the B-J driver trying to get in, looked like a latch alignment issue.   The door latches were all painted (lack of detail).

Big money.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

hemi68charger

Wow, this increased the value I place on my Superbird......... Being a 4speed and my anal-eye for detail, I could rank right up there with mine when done....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

wingcarenvy

This one was nice but again not nearly perfect. Especially at that price.

Kowal

B-J is a funny place.

A yellow, 70, Hemi Road Runner went for over 200, a yellow Challenger T/A went for something like 150.   A quick look at Hemmings shows comparable cars to each for 2/3rd the price.     Yet, the orange 70 Hemi Challenger struggled to get over a 100.

I have been going to B-J for years.   Really depends who is in the room, time of day and how many drinks have been had, and normally how pretty the car is particularly with the hood open when it is in the staging area (forget accuracy).

There was a 442 W30 convertible that was restored by Thorntons (the absolute 442 experts), it went for a 100 which was low and it was perfect, a pretty looking red hardtop W30 went the next day (Saturday) for 150 and it was nowhere near as accurate.

Crazy stuff

superbirdtom

I think the w-30 was still not the rarest of that body style-I think the olds H/O convert was an they go for 500k+.    anyways that 3 on the column auto went for crazy money- my friend with the 4-speed I posted as finally finished a month ago on here is happy to hear that and I know for a fact is way nicer.  These cars will go up until about 30 years from now and then meet the fate of the 30,s and 40,s cars and come down as the people who are now rich and drove them in high school will be dead-and no more demand- except rarest or rare.

Kowal

Totally agree on how all of us interested in these cars will "age out" of the hobby some day, getting the price to drop.

Amazing what 50's and earlier cars have been dropping to in price at auction.    Even 409 Impala SS cars.

Aero426

Quote from: Kowal on January 24, 2018, 08:37:49 AM
B-J is a funny place.

A yellow, 70, Hemi Road Runner went for over 200, a yellow Challenger T/A went for something like 150.   A quick look at Hemmings shows comparable cars to each for 2/3rd the price.     Yet, the orange 70 Hemi Challenger struggled to get over a 100.

I have been going to B-J for years.   Really depends who is in the room, time of day and how many drinks have been had, and normally how pretty the car is particularly with the hood open when it is in the staging area (forget accuracy).

There was a 442 W30 convertible that was restored by Thorntons (the absolute 442 experts), it went for a 100 which was low and it was perfect, a pretty looking red hardtop W30 went the next day (Saturday) for 150 and it was nowhere near as accurate.

Crazy stuff

Barrett-Jackson is reality for what is happening in that room on that day.    But even tho it will be cited as the standard all others are measured by,  it is one sale and not representative of the rest of the world.     Those prices on the 6-bbl Birds would be impossible to duplicate on the private market.    Congrats to the sellers for hitting a home run.   

superbirdtom

Quote from: Kowal on January 25, 2018, 07:24:28 AM
Totally agree on how all of us interested in these cars will "age out" of the hobby some day, getting the price to drop.

Amazing what 50's and earlier cars have been dropping to in price at auction.    Even 409 Impala SS cars.

I am happy for the owner for sure who sold it more power to him or her.   I see the huge car collections of major car collectors from the 30,s 40,s who spent small fortunes restoring each car (add cost to store them for decades) This
amounts to more than 3 times in many cases what they spent to restore them.The good news is you can get a really still cool giant classic american car fully restored for a great price that you could never duplicate due to today's real world restoration costs -