News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

why are block cylinders tapered

Started by DanielRobert, January 27, 2018, 05:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Quote from: DanielRobert on February 03, 2018, 07:24:37 PM
Found a cheaper machine shop that didn't use torque plates for boring and when I asked why? he said it's only if you want to squeeze the most hp you can from a motor. He didn't seam too concerned about not using them.  BTW I'm not building a bracket racing motor , but don't want a shop thats not paying attention to the thousandths  of an inch that blow motors.

It matter's not a Bracket RACE motor, or just a good solid street engine... that has best longevity and sealing over Time.
It may be helpful for you to simply google search "Why use a Torque Plate" for yourself ?

Knowledge is essential to good decisions, and at least you may then gauge for yourself yes or no as req'd for what YOU want.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

DanielRobert

Thanks for the reply. I asked because I wanted real world advice. I coulda Googled the torque plate thing but I'm lazy and this site is easier to get live answers to and not an article to read. Better knowledge in my opinion.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

justcruisin

I am far from an expert but my current engine was rebuilt to stock with a 0.040" overbore (no plate). After only 3000 miles I pulled the engine as i wasn't happy with the performance. Had a torque plate fiitted up to measure and the machinist claimed  0.002" out of round, and said the bolts were showing a bulge to the cylinders although I don't recall how much, he advised to bore it. I took the block back and measured the bores - perfect, then fitted up some RPM heads and measured from underneath, I got less than 0.001" out of round. Just a street car so I fitted the new pistons with just a light hone to the bores, JE file fit rings. After a thousand miles I did a cold leak down and was at 7% with 185psi cranking. If I thought it needed to be bored I would have the plate used though, If you are going to the trouble of boring it I can't see why you wouldn't.

Bronzedodge

Hot Rod ( I think) did a more recent article in torque plates where they honed a block without plates and illustrated the distortions.  It was a noticeable difference.
Mopar forever!

Challenger340

I've personally Bored/Honed probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 600+ BB Mopars over the last 40 years ? Race... Brackets.... Street..... even Industrial applications.
And over the last 25 years I've had the opportunity to actual DYNO test the finished products as well ?

I would not even think about NOT using a Torque Plate on a 440 Mopar ?... even it if was just for my Wheel-Barrow !

As is said... "excuses satisfy only those who make them", so attach whatever rationale YOU want in justification as to why YOU don't need a Torque Plate while Boring & Honing YOUR Engine ?

But that said...
all I am saying is this.... Don't anyone tell ME there ain't a significant difference in Engine Blow-by, sealing, power and longevity in ALL applications.
Unless of course,
you yourself have also Bored & Honed 600+ BB Mopars over the decades, and DYNO'd lots of the results..... in which case we can then agree to dis-agree.

Only wimps wear Bowties !