News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Undercarriage

Started by MoparMike68, January 28, 2018, 11:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMike68

Hey 👋;
I'm not sure to either undercoat or paint.I'm only driving in perfect weather.
I like the look 👀 of paint but cleaning would be the issue.what are some pros and cons of undercoating vs paint? :shruggy:

Highbanked Hauler

What stage is your car at now and how smooth is the underside ?  Mine is sandblasted and in primer now with some patches welded in and since this car is being setup as a driver I am thinking about using body colored bed liner :popcrn:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69bfan

It all depends on how correct do you want the car to be.  If it was in fact a undercoat car from the factory, and your looking to go that way great.  The thing that I have found out through the years is that the undercoating has the rough texture which allows any dirt film or soap residue to get trapped in.  The only way to clean this is basically pressure wash and rinse very thoroughly.  In regards to the factory style primer and paint overspray, the surface is slick and can be easily wiped down or sponged off.  On the higher end restorations where correctness is of the most importance, the primer will not be slick like paint and is thus slightly more difficult to maintain.  But these cars rarely see any severe weather elements and see a pretty pampered life.  Most restorers are now using a paint that mimics the factory color of the primer / body dip.  This is the best case scenario in that you get the appearance of factory correctness for non factory undercoat cars with the ease of keeping the floorboards fresh and clean looking.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

MoparMike68

Hey 👋
Thanks for advising I'm at the disassembled stage ready to be blasted,both options are on the table.
However the car is not #s matching and I will be doing a restomod
I'm upgrading suspension and installing awesome rims other then that everything else will be stock looking.
Love the look of the 68 charger just looking to enhance its beauty