News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help from Dodge experts 68 RT

Started by aussieguy71, January 29, 2018, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussieguy71

gday to all from down under Australia just wanting some advice from anyone that has extensive knowledge on 68RT chargers. I'm looking at purchasing such a vehicle being a 1968RT charger 440 . I have recieved a number of photos of the vehicles serial numbers . I have been reading a lot of posts and doing research on authenticity on these cars.

First numbers I have been given is the engine block 2536430-10 above looks like maybe a 3 spot weld 26 spot weld 68 . The other tag being XS29L8D3#####. I also under stand that there are transmission numbers , dana rear axle numbers and trunk numbers under the rubber seal , head numbers . I have a build sheet picture from the car as well, but its very hard to read maybe the weather has effected it.
I have forwarded detailed pictures to the owner and requested these serial numbers. Can any one tell me what numbers should match each other. Another thing its in reasonable condition being original paint with the owner asking $60,000 US for the vehicle is this too much for such a car if its all original drive train and engine ? .
There is an interesting story about this car and the owner and the love of American Muscle cars that I have. I know its a dodge forum and yes please don't hold this against me  :eek2: I first purchased a number of cars in the Phillipines about 12 years ago , my first car was a 55 Chev be lair 2 door , this was to make money importing it into Australia , the second was a 1969 corvette roadster 427 , and the third was a 1969 ford cobra jet mustang 428. Yes I know its a ford and it was only to make $.
I had the corvette for my personnel car and loved it but sold it due to family commitments. So I'm looking at a 68RT charger and would suit my family being a four seater.
The owner who owns the RT charger is the same owner I purchased the mustang from. The phillipinos are very hard to negotiate with and they don't like the vehicles leaving the country. The reason that there are cars there is from when the Marines had a base in Angeles City about 5 hrs drive from Manila.
I have seen some great cars whilst there .
Another issue I have is the location of the car  :o :o :o after emailing the owner her numerous times she informs me the car is in the southern part of the phillipines . I did a search on the location to check out any ports close to the vehicle. This is were it gets difficult , out of the main city is provinces poor areas of the area and in the south the religion is muslim , which the owner is. My government and USA government warnings in relation to the area for westerners not to venture having extremist in the area  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brick wall: so I will have to consider not travelling to the area to inspect the car. Just photos and having the vehicle transported to the port or Manila.
The owner has informed me that the charger is in better condition than the Mustang I purchased from her many years ago. Once I have all the serial numbers and photos of the car if original would it be worth the money ? Would much appreciate your comments.

JB400

Welcome to the forum   :cheers:  Interesting story.  Can't wait to see pix. :popcrn:

Lennard

The car is in reasonable condition and they want $60,000 US for it? For that kind of money it better be in great condition.

aussieguy71

Ok thanks I will post the pictures once I receive them and get your opinion on what I should be paying thanks again

Lennard

Just for the record.... I'm not an expert. There are other people on this forum that can give you better advice on the value.  

JB400

Why didn't you dig around Australia for a car that is already there?  I know there are plenty for sale there.  I just checked and they're similarly priced as well. :popcrn:

aussieguy71

Ive thought about there are only a few not any RT's at the moment but Ive seen one which was for sale for a number of years he wants $140,000 Aus for it thats crazy money .

Troy

Is this car a 4-speed? Otherwise it is unlikely to have a Dana rear axle.

The casting and stamped dates on the engine seem reasonable. The VIN number should be stamped on the engine and transmission. Location might vary (especially depending on the trans).

The body numbers (radiator support, trunk lip, etc) will match the bottom right sequence on the fender tag (rectangular metal plate with several rows of letters and numbers on it).

As for price, if it's a numbers matching 4-speed with original sheet metal I doubt you could buy one cheaper here - and certainly not in Australia! The condition (I believe) and color will have more impact on the price than the numbers but if you're paying a premium you should expect everything to sorted out.

There's nothing wrong with any of the other cars you mentioned! :)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: aussieguy71 on January 29, 2018, 06:57:09 PM
The owner who owns the RT charger is the same owner I purchased the mustang from. The phillipinos are very hard to negotiate with and they don't like the vehicles leaving the country. 

I think we have a phillipino member by the name of socalcharger, he hates  :RantExplode: cars leaving the country too.  :lol:

aussieguy71

Hello all , I have had a few more pictures sent from the Philippines waiting for more here is what I have atm

1. Transmission number on the lip being PK2801541K 2398 4597.
2. On the radiator frame B8XI 82944.

I'm trying to decode the transmission but no luck on the internet maybe someone could help me. Also does the radiator stamping need to match any other numbers on the vehicle ?

The owner also states the vehicle is a Blue color but I'm waiting for the fender tag to confirm.

PP1RT

Pk2801541 is the part# for the 1968 727 used behind the 440.

6bblgt

PK - Kokomo, IN transmission plant
2801541 - 1967-'68 727 for 440 HP
K
2398  = Tuesday February 20, 1968 assembly date
4597 = transmission unit number

B = Hamtramck MI assembly plant
8 = 1968 model year
X = Charger
I82944 = Shipping Order Number (S.O.# 182944)

the last 8-digits of the VIN should be stamped on the top bellhousing edge
the VIN should be a Charger assembled in HAMTRAMCK - 6th & 7th-digits "8B"
the S.O.# should be on the bottom line of the fender tag

aussieguy71

Thanks very much for your info it really helps me out also I got a picture not sure what the serial number is on what part of the car it reads like this

KCP this has a oval shape circle around this then it has DD
                                                                                CID     2466801  then looks like 6 3 9 un even next to each other then a lot of raised square boxes.

Any idea what this number represents ?.

I can attach a picture if required

6bblgt

sounds like a 727 tailshaft housing - by all means, attach pics

aussieguy71

Just posting a few pics

aussieguy71

aussieguy71

aussieguy71

another 1

aussieguy71

Once I get more I will post it was difficult just to get these ones trying to explain what I wanted  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brick wall:
I need  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

aussieguy71

Just checking the steering wheel would it be from a cornet ? or the engine block ?

6bblgt

can you post larger pics or is that all you got?

the early '68 model year (Aug./Sept. '67 production) cars got '67 steering wheels - that's what that looks like .....

when was the subject Charger built?  if it is  "XS29L8B3xxxxx" it's not early, can you share the VIN?

6bblgt

air cleaner would be correct for a very early car also, lots can change in 50 years

the steering wheel  & air cleaner pics look like brochure pics  :scratchchin:

do you have pics of the car?  nothing above would lead me to believe there is anything like a $60K car being discussed  :Twocents:

aussieguy71

yes I will re post the pics I received they are only little due to the size being aloud
the VIN reads XS29L8D311345

Yeah I thought the pictures were grainy  but the pics are from my belief a video camera as stated by the owner as the reason the pixels are not the best for the engine bay and interior. I'm waiting for further pics and the fender tag 

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green