News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about fuel injection

Started by comet_666, January 30, 2018, 03:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

This is my 512
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,124503.0.html

Was tossing around the idea of going with fuel injection because last year I had some hot start/run issues/ and black spark plug problems that I am going to track down this year hopefully.
I heard good things about Fi-Tech however it is close to the 600 HP max of the one kit. I know they offer an 800HP kit, curious if anyone has used that one?

303 Mopar

I too am tossing around the idea of FI on my 505 stroker.  I have read a lot of issues and unhappy tech support problems with FI Tech recently.  Holley Sniper seems to be the choice of many as they are getting better and better, even supplying their own parts such as fuel tank and in-tank pump.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

JR

I've posted numerous times on this board about it, but EFI is the best thing I've ever done to my car. Two years and 10k miles later, I love it.

Just go with an in tank fuel pump instead of the separate, underhood surge tank.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

comet_666

I am going to see if I can first get this thing back in tip top running order and if I am not satisfied with it I will start the search for FI for sure

INTMD8

Quote from: comet_666 on January 30, 2018, 03:34:42 PM
This is my 512
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,124503.0.html

Was tossing around the idea of going with fuel injection because last year I had some hot start/run issues/ and black spark plug problems that I am going to track down this year hopefully.
I heard good things about Fi-Tech however it is close to the 600 HP max of the one kit. I know they offer an 800HP kit, curious if anyone has used that one?

I emailed FI tech 2 weeks ago asking a few questions about their dual 4 barrel system. Emailed again through website.

No response. 

If they don't respond to make a sale I'm pretty sure after sale support would be non-existent as well so I'm going to pass.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

will

I have the 800 Meanstreet on my car. I bought it because I was approaching the limit hp wise and didn't want to fall short. I put it on the 383 to get it going and I haven't had any problems that weren't self-inflicted. I'm happy with it so far, a lot of the problems people seem to be having is with the fuel command center. I haven't had a problem, I guess they are hit or miss. I haven't stuffed the stroker in the car yet, but hopefully when I do it's just tweaking the inputs and go. It starts easily, no more smelling like gas, I can breathe with the windows rolled up.
   I followed the ignition advice I received from Mr. Kunkel and have diodes available if you decide to use the ballast resistor system that we have. Pretty easy to just solder the diode between the terminals, minimal impact and barely noticeable. Has worked so far, I have to make another one because we all know how ballast resistors can put you on your hooves.

Mopar Nut

Here's a sixpack EFI.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Ryan.C

This is freaking cool  :coolgleamA: 

Thanks for posting that  :2thumbs:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Dino

Consider a Holley Sniper system instead of Fitech. You may get better customer service and support. unless something better comes out, that's what I'll be going with.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

pipeliner

I'm still seeing problems with all of these Fi systems and it just isn't command centers and so forth, do the research on the other forums. I love the idea of Fi and if they ever make one thats worthy to put on my car I'll buy it. As for now I sent my 850 Proform non-choke to Thumperdart and this is the most Amazing Carb I've ever owned so I don't ever see myself going Fi anytime soon.

1BAD68

I installed FiTech's 600hp last year and other than some return to idle issues, it's been awesome.
Most problems are linked to the engine, not so much the FiTech. It's important to remember that if you have a vacuum leak, weak battery or charging system, etc. Things that the carb will still run just fine with, efi will not.
I had a crap alternator that caused a few issues with the FiTech that I never noticed with the carb. Once you get the bugs worked out, it runs excellent and has way more power down low than my carb ever did. I chose a Robbmc PowerSurge for fuel delivery rather than an in tank pump because I thought if I ever got stranded by the fitech I could swap my carb and bypass the PowerSurge and be on my way. No problems so far with it. Everyone seems to have nothing but problems with fitechs command center.
:drive:

c00nhunterjoe

I challenge anyone who thinks tb injectjon is the key to come for a ride with me.

Troy

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 04, 2018, 11:09:51 PM
I challenge anyone who thinks tb injectjon is the key to come for a ride with me.
And you 4 mpg? :D

Honestly, I chose EFI for many reasons and performance wasn't one of them. The primary reason is I really don't like opening the hood and futzing with the carb(s) every other trip. And that's mostly due the the secondary reason which is that I love to drive and drive often. I bought my cars to get out on the road not pretend to be a race car mechanic. For people who enjoy tweaking and tuning for absolute max performance then a carb is probably the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am not one of those people.

My 2015 Scat pack has 485 hp (and traction control so it's actually useful) and I routinely get over 30 mpg on the highway (umm, maybe 10 if I'm actually using all that power between stoplights). A bolt on TBI isn't going to do that of course BUT I'd say the technology is certainly proven.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Troy on February 05, 2018, 10:31:23 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 04, 2018, 11:09:51 PM
And you 4 mpg? :D

Honestly, I chose EFI for many reasons and performance wasn't one of them. The primary reason is I really don't like opening the hood and futzing with the carb(s) every other trip. And that's mostly due the the secondary reason which is that I love to drive and drive often. I bought my cars to get out on the road not pretend to be a race car mechanic. For people who enjoy tweaking and tuning for absolute max performance then a carb is probably the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am not one of those people.

My 2015 Scat pack has 485 hp (and traction control so it's actually useful) and I routinely get over 30 mpg on the highway (umm, maybe 10 if I'm actually using all that power between stoplights). A bolt on TBI isn't going to do that of course BUT I'd say the technology is certainly proven.

Troy

My car did not get 4 mpg because of it having a carb on it.... fuel injection would not change that number. Your scat pack got 30mph because it has 2.80 rear gears, a high overdrive, and multiple displacement.
  As to constant tinkering. I never adjust the carb, i never have to tinker. Fire it up and go. If you are constantpy adjusting your car everytime you take it out, something is wrong.

comet_666

I would like to not spend the $ on a FI injection system, My problems I believe are related to timing/ rich carb/ fuel supply currently, If I get that squared away I will keep the carb, if I keep having to mess with it I will make the switch.

69Chrgr

I've installed a FI Tech and an Edelbrock FI system and will be installing a Holley HP Multiport on my 512. Just got the 337 intake back from Larry at Flow Tech for the Max Wedge ports. Also bought the Holley distributor that is setup for the HP system. The good thing about the multi port setup is that you gain another inch in hood clearance which is critical for those of us who like our stock hoods on a 69 Charger.

303 Mopar

Quote from: 69Chrgr on February 05, 2018, 08:59:34 PM
I've installed a FI Tech and an Edelbrock FI system and will be installing a Holley HP Multiport on my 512. Just got the 337 intake back from Larry at Flow Tech for the Max Wedge ports. Also bought the Holley distributor that is setup for the HP system. The good thing about the multi port setup is that you gain another inch in hood clearance which is critical for those of us who like our stock hoods on a 69 Charger.

Do you have a parts list and estimated cost for this set up?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: comet_666 on February 05, 2018, 04:07:52 PM
My problems I believe are related to timing/ rich carb/ fuel supply.

All of which can be handled from the comfort of your drivers seat with FI Tech or Holley Sniper.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

You still have to set up the fuel supply properly, and you still have to set up the distributor with the fuel injection. Even if you go crank trigger, you still have to phase the distributor. So if you cant handle the basic setup on a carb system, whats the difference setting up the basics on fuel injection? The basics come before the laptop...... just saying.

comet_666

It would be great to be able to adjust timing from handheld control! I am sure getting this thing installed and tuned right would be a really big hastle for me...maybe in the long run it would be worth it. I think right now i'm going to fiddle with what I have. I am close on hood clearance so I switched my 14x3 to a 14x2 K&N filter now I will try the cool carb thing and either non ethanol gas or race fuel....I think my compression is 10.75:1..not sure if I can run that on 91 ethanol free (higher boiling point) fuel or not.

c00nhunterjoe

I ran a closed chamber iron head, 11:1 engine on 93 octane pump gas. E whatever is at the pumps with no problem. Coolcarb spacer, egr crossover blocked, stock mechanical pump for years. Make sure fuel lines are away from direct heat and especially not touching the valve cover or intake.

comet_666

Just to make sure about the heat crossover...I am running edelbrock rpm heads and an edelbrock rpm intake..I assume this combo has no heat crossover?

69Chrgr

Quote from: 303 Mopar on February 06, 2018, 03:30:08 PM

I can provide that for you. What are you wanting? A Throttle body type EFI or Multiport?

Draco

Is the Holley Multiport up a custom set? I can't find any info for big block Dodge. I would love to go with a multiport assembly.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Draco on February 07, 2018, 08:57:51 AM
Is the Holley Multiport up a custom set? I can't find any info for big block Dodge. I would love to go with a multiport assembly.
Quote from: 69Chrgr on February 06, 2018, 09:30:58 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on February 06, 2018, 03:30:08 PM

I can provide that for you. What are you wanting? A Throttle body type EFI or Multiport?

A parts list and cost on a multiport set up for a 440 please.