News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 vinyl top

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, February 01, 2018, 10:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

Installed my vinyl top today and can see a little of the lead filler under the top between the roof and quarter. Looked at my old pics of the original top and can see the same thing. I restored the car to original condition but not sure I like this correct imperfection. I knew the body had the filler there but it did not dawn on me to have the body guy correct this. Torn on what to do. I want the car original but everything else on the car is pretty nice except for this vinyl top area at the sail panel. I can see it under the fluorescent lights with the shineyblack top. Will the shiney top dulldown soon with a little age?

DAY CLONA

I'll assume your describing "telegraphing", a bulging where the qtr meets the roof/C pillar, if so this is a common problem due to a multiple of reasons, until it's corrected it will always be present, sometimes it only gets worse with use/age of the vehicle  

Sixt8Chrgr

Yep that is it. I slept on it and am going to leave it alone. If it bugs me bad enough in the future it can be fixed, but I doubt it will. That is just part of these old cars persona.

Sixt8Chrgr

This what I am talking about. I want to see it in the sunlight not just under the fluorescent lights but my guess it is going to look crummy.
I also added a photo of the car outside before the top installation. This was prior to torsion Bar adjustment so is sitting a little low in the front. Has since been corrected.
Love to get opinions on the vinyl top. Live with it or remove fix and put another top on it.

Charger-Bodie

In my opinion. Redo it or it all you will ever see when you look at the car. Nows the time.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

303 Mopar

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on February 04, 2018, 11:32:32 AM
In my opinion. Redo it or it all you will ever see when you look at the car. Nows the time.

I agree. It's bothering you now and it will forever, do it now.  It is also amazing how much different the red looks outside vs inside.  I would've bet its not the same car.   
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

stripedelete

Yep.  Re-do it or it will drive you nuts.

Btw, what color is that?  Looks great inside and outside!

Sixt8Chrgr

R6 Red. The original paint on the door panel that had never seen the sun matched perfectly. I really like the color.

Bobs69

Nice colour and an awesome looking charger.  I hate to say it but I'd want to have it fixed. 

green69rt

Quote from: Bobs69 on February 04, 2018, 02:28:34 PM
Nice colour and an awesome looking charger.  I hate to say it but I'd want to have it fixed. 

Agree, really sharp looking car.  That line under the vinyl would pester me every time I saw it.  Is it possible to peal back the vinyl in that area just enough to make the repair?  Doesn't sound likely but may be worth a try.  If it doesn't work then just strip the whole thing off. :'(

Sixt8Chrgr

I am going to fix it. I have already contacted the body man.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on February 04, 2018, 05:24:08 PM
I am going to fix it. I have already contacted the body man.

Dig out all the filler/plastic, even any old lead, either have it re-leaded, or weld in a metal filler strip, either way opt to have it all metal as much as possible, avoid filler at all costs, make sure the C pillar seam is completely welded, not just tacked like the factory did it...

Mike

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

alfaitalia

yeah...you've got to sort it. I know I could not live with it......not to mention the know-it-all's pointing it out every time you are out with the car.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

bakerhillpins

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 05, 2018, 12:25:52 PM
Dig out all the filler/plastic, even any old lead, either have it re-leaded, or weld in a metal filler strip, either way opt to have it all metal as much as possible, avoid filler at all costs, make sure the C pillar seam is completely welded, not just tacked like the factory did it...

Mike

I thought that was the general consensus on the solution. Thanks for posting that up!

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 05, 2018, 07:47:40 PM
Love me some R6 !!  :drool5:

Seriously!  :2thumbs: :drool5:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Sixt8Chrgr

Got the sail panel sorted out, top on and about finished

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Stellar! One day if I get the nerve up my R/T will go back to its original R6.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 08, 2018, 04:51:26 PM
Stellar! One day if I get the nerve up my R/T will go back to its original R6.

Thanks!

And thanks for the help on the ac brackets and other tips. I need to put the brackets on the engine.