News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear axle re install

Started by AmadeusCharger500, February 03, 2018, 11:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I have a long term project, 73 charger with 8 3/4 rear 742 case.
I had the rear totally rebuilt and together a long time back. The car has sat for several years, long project.
Long story short I had to change the brake support plates and removed both axles to do it.
Problem is I can't get the axles back completely. The splines engage on the differential but having trouble seating proper. There is about 1/2 inch of space and they simply will not go in any further, both sides. I did not switch anything except the backing plates.
There are no instructional videos discussing this problem and the factory manual says to simply tap with a rubber mallet to seat the bearing cups.

Thanks for any advice.

John_Kunkel

Look down the housing tube at the splines in the differential, there is an inner and an outer spline that often become misaligned. You can usually realign the splines by installing the axle shaft and turning it with a long bar while pushing in on the shaft. The yoke must be immobilized while doing this.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks for that info and great pic! I did look into the housing shafts as you suggested and I saw that both sides of the thrust button had fallen apart and shifted position. I was able to pull them both out and found the pin and thrust button on one side were bent and unusable. I am going to guess they cam apart with the axle pulling out perhaps the grease sort of glued them to the end of the axles. I probable bent the one side when trying to reinstall the axle.
Anyway I guess I just need to get the new part.

I was looking elsewhere on the internet and found it might be possible to due without the thrust botton?

Thanks again!

Heath

birdsandbees

You must have that thrust button in if using the correct (OEM) tapered bearings. Not required if using straight rollers.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487