News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why are many drivers side headlight door stops broken?

Started by mopar4don, February 03, 2018, 05:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

Is there any reason that the plastic bump stops are broke on bothe sets of drivers side headlight doors that I have?
I also looked on ebay and noticed that most drivers side doors are broke also?
Is it a adjustment issue or what?
Also how can I fix this area using acetone and ABS shavings?

JB400

Considering both of mine are broke as well, I'd consider it a design error. :P

Just 6T9 CHGR

I'd attribute it to the extra weight of the emblems on the drivers side door... :Twocents:

Like JB said...a design error ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mopar4don

Does anyone have a picture showing what they hit on? I'm just wondering if they need to be fixed, or should I let them be broken?

bill440rt

It's just a design flaw. After decades of slamming shut against plastic that is brittle from age it's going to break. The extra weight of emblems in the drivers side door may very well be a contributing factor.

Having said that I've repaired a few of these already. First I made a template of the tab from thin cardboard, you can make this using the passenger side door as a pattern, then just reverse it. I then transferred the pattern to steel and cut it out. The tab repair piece made from steel is much stronger of course than plastic. I made this repair piece so it extends downward along the sloped part of the door. There, I attached it with pop rivets and panel bond adhesive. Once dry, I ground the rivet heads flat. With some bodywork and flat black paint the repair was undetectable.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar4don

Quote from: bill440rt on February 04, 2018, 08:53:54 PM
It's just a design flaw. After decades of slamming shut against plastic that is brittle from age it's going to break. The extra weight of emblems in the drivers side door may very well be a contributing factor.

Having said that I've repaired a few of these already. First I made a template of the tab from thin cardboard, you can make this using the passenger side door as a pattern, then just reverse it. I then transferred the pattern to steel and cut it out. The tab repair piece made from steel is much stronger of course than plastic. I made this repair piece so it extends downward along the sloped part of the door. There, I attached it with pop rivets and panel bond adhesive. Once dry, I ground the rivet heads flat. With some bodywork and flat black paint the repair was undetectable.
Thanks Bill, I will look into fixing it the way you described.
Still looking for a picture showing what the stop actually hits.