News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Charger Tie rod ends and sleeves- use 74 Newport parts?

Started by johnnycharger, February 04, 2018, 11:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

HI Guys,

I am planning to rebuild a lot of my front end on the 70 Charger. I have been reading a lot of the threads and in regards to the tie rods and sleeves. I see that a lot of people are upgrading to the 74 Newport parts. I am looking at getting these by moog  Inner - ES 355 RL Outer  - ES 352 R. I am not having luck finding solid sleeves for them. I know PST and others have their dedicated ones but it seems like Moog tie rod ends are great quality and low cost so I would like to use them. Has anyone else found sleeves for these? How did they work out?

Ryan.C

I used C-body moog tie rod ends sourced from rockauto and bought the solid sleeves from PST. Worked out just fine.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

johnnycharger

Quote from: Ryan.C on February 04, 2018, 02:41:23 PM
I used C-body moog tie rod ends sourced from rockauto and bought the solid sleeves from PST. Worked out just fine.

Thanks Ryan. Did you go with the aluminum one?

Ryan.C

I bought the solid aluminum tie rod sleeve. Quality piece, I would purchase again.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

JR

Funny, I just did this last week.

Tie rod end part numbers are:

Moog ES352R
And
Moog ES355RL

For the solid adjustment sleeves, I used QA1 part number 52324 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/QA1-52324

All of these parts are for the later C body, with 11/16th diameter, instead of the original 9/16th.

Here's a comparison of the stock one I took off vs the c body parts you're looking for.

It adds a minor weight penality of 1.5 lbs or so, but you'll never feel that difference from the driver's seat, and I feel it's a worthwhile improvement.

Proforged is another manufacturer of the sleeves. Dino put these on his car recently, and they look like really well made sleeves.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

johnnycharger

Awesome information JR. Thank you. Dino- can you please give me the part number for the 11/16 proforged ones you used?

BIGBLCK11

Dino can confirm, but found these listings.  1 review and it's negative, not threaded properly.  They do look nice.

http://proforged.mycarparts.net/products/Proforged-105-10049?brand_id=3512

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pof-105-10049/overview/

You can see on the proforged application guide at the bottom of the link, they are both 7.10 long, for 70 Charger and 74 Newport.  

Edit:  fixed proforged link

johnnycharger

Thank you very much. I have found these parts on amazon and get the free 2 day shipping. :).
I need a pitman arm as well. Is Moog the best choice for that also?