News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which air filter do you use and why?

Started by comet_666, February 07, 2018, 06:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

I was using a standard K&N 14x3, but now I got a 14x2 so I can put a cool carb spacer in, I was also thinking of going with the K&N top plate https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-66-1401 to finish it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpsydS8JXI

deepockets

That changes what I may have ever thought.

comet_666

Yah, not much room under my hood to pull in air from the top...

c00nhunterjoe

Ghoste

I had the K&N top plate on my 67 because I was limited to what I could get in height for the filter.  Like you, I wasn't getting much in the top with that car but I was prepared to take whatever I could get in it.  This car has an oval paper element.

Challenger340

This is really hilarious for me because we get to test the Customer's Air Cleaners for their new Engine on the Dyno all the time !

Everybody invariably shows up with the "newest, latest, greatest" A/F assembly they just bought, and usually paid a TON of money for under the rationale of you GET what you PAY for, which may very well be from an Air "filtration" standpoint(I have NO idea about that), but from a POWER perspective.... it can be ROFL event sometimes ?
Even worse when their $100 deal KILLS 40 hp.... then for comparison we pull out our top secret/007 $15 Drop Base 14 X3 element deal and gain back the 40hp PLUS 10hp more !
Long story short here...
a LOT more depends on the particular Engine/Power level and Carb ! than the Video would suggest ? And based on that, I would dis-agree with their assessment of Drop Bases in general as well as for practical purposes in underhood clearance applications.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

68pplcharger

K&N round tapered filter. because it's the only thing that fits the Procharger F1C.  :D

flyinlow

K and N  4x14 because a 5x14 won't fit.

JR

I keep meaning to do six pack hood with a taller filter for this reason.

I can easily tell the power loss when the drop base assembly is installed.  But it's necessary with a stock hood and a performer intake it seems.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

A383Wing

Running stock style paper filter in all my cars

I read somewhere a while ago that the K&N top plate filter actually made the horsepower readings worse when installed

Bryan