News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear window curve vs plug

Started by oldcarnut, February 08, 2018, 01:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I have a question about the window fitment to the plug.  I have a glass window with Chrysler marking in it that I placed in my Janek plug.  There's about 3/16" gap towards the center of the plug from where it touches at the sides.  How did the curve of window match the steel.plugs of oem Birds?  When anyone replaced or reassembled the window back in what did you use to seal it.  I usually used a ribbon bead seal in my other b-body but don't recall a gap like this. I'm think maybe 3/8" dia ribbon with some of the liquid seal added in for this.  Any body else run into this with your rear glass?

oldcarnut

These are the glass markings.  Don't know if it's aftermarket or what.  Bought long time ago before the recent repops came out.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: oldcarnut on February 08, 2018, 01:30:39 AM
I have a question about the window fitment to the plug.  I have a glass window with Chrysler marking in it that I placed in my Janek plug.  There's about 3/16" gap towards the center of the plug from where it touches at the sides.  How did the curve of window match the steel.plugs of oem Birds?  When anyone replaced or reassembled the window back in what did you use to seal it.  I usually used a ribbon bead seal in my other b-body but don't recall a gap like this. I'm think maybe 3/8" dia ribbon with some of the liquid seal added in for this.  Any body else run into this with your rear glass?

Could be the plug?, your install?, the glass your using?, the list goes on, but like any plug install, repro or all original parts, you need to test fit and make adjusts accordingly to ALL components before final install

FYI this is the car Janek used to mold most of his SB parts off of.... so that could be contributing to your issue

oldcarnut

Could be the plug?, your install?, the glass your using?, the list goes on, but like any plug install, repro or all original parts, you need to test fit and make adjusts accordingly to ALL components before final install

FYI this is the car Janek used to mold most of his SB parts off of.... so that could be contributing to your issue
[/quote]
Yep it's a list of variances that could be off.  There wasn't a lot of flex in the plug I got and as far as I can see it sits a good flush surface with the body for the install.  I know most people use the lexan window in the clones and it will contour to the plug shape as it's flexible but I used a glass window. Maybe it's the glass shape or the plug might be molded off a little for real glass.  I don't have anybody here near me with one to double check.  Not much I can do about it now but curious how the oems were.