News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

todays ziebart undercoat

Started by charger_fan_4ever, February 08, 2018, 10:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

The original undercoat on the old mopars was ziebart correct ? i wonder how the new ziebart compares to the old stuff ?

My charger every panel was rotted off. The floors rotted out as water got in from the top side. The frame rails after scraping off the undercaot still had b5 blue paint.

Makes me think if i had a car new enough with no rust underneath be worth it to have it coated if its the same stuff.

Troy

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on February 08, 2018, 10:29:08 AM
The original undercoat on the old mopars was ziebart correct ? i wonder how the new ziebart compares to the old stuff ?

My charger every panel was rotted off. The floors rotted out as water got in from the top side. The frame rails after scraping off the undercaot still had b5 blue paint.

Makes me think if i had a car new enough with no rust underneath be worth it to have it coated if its the same stuff.
I don't believe so. I had a 68 with factory undercoating that was also Ziebarted. The Ziebart process drill holes in the body to squirt something in there then they cover the holes with little plugs. The factory sloppily sprayed a tar like substance on parts of the underside. They also dipped the bare unibody (partially) in a tank of, essentially, epoxy primer. Any water coming from the top down would rust the car any way but it seems like it was a bit protected from underneath. The undercoating also acted as a sound deadener and scratch/dent protectant inside the quarters and underside of front fenders. If you paid more they'd coat most of the underside. Again, it seems like these things rusted from inside out so if the undercoating is failing it's likely because it doesn't have any metal to stick to.

If I were doing anything today on a modern car it would definitely include spraying something into the body/frame cavities (oil, etc.). On my old cars I'm using the Eastwood frame spray - especially on parts I've welded which would have burned off the factory primer from the dip process. I also use a product called Chassis Saver on area I can hit with a brush. On my truck frames I've been using KBS products since they have UV protection and am starting to coat them in the winter with Fluid Film. I recently found frame rot on 2 trucks which basically killed their resale value (and safety). I live in the Midwest where we oversalt the roads in wither and it's humid most of the year.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Troy on February 08, 2018, 11:18:22 AM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on February 08, 2018, 10:29:08 AM

I don't believe so. I had a 68 with factory undercoating that was also Ziebarted. The Ziebart process drill holes in the body to squirt something in there then they cover the holes with little plugs. The factory sloppily sprayed a tar like substance on parts of the underside. They also dipped the bare unibody (partially) in a tank of, essentially, epoxy primer. Any water coming from the top down would rust the car any way but it seems like it was a bit protected from underneath. The undercoating also acted as a sound deadener and scratch/dent protectant inside the quarters and underside of front fenders. If you paid more they'd coat most of the underside. Again, it seems like these things rusted from inside out so if the undercoating is failing it's likely because it doesn't have any metal to stick to.

If I were doing anything today on a modern car it would definitely include spraying something into the body/frame cavities (oil, etc.). On my old cars I'm using the Eastwood frame spray - especially on parts I've welded which would have burned off the factory primer from the dip process. I also use a product called Chassis Saver on area I can hit with a brush. On my truck frames I've been using KBS products since they have UV protection and am starting to coat them in the winter with Fluid Film. I recently found frame rot on 2 trucks which basically killed their resale value (and safety). I live in the Midwest where we oversalt the roads in wither and it's humid most of the year.

Troy

Ahh so the factory stuff wasnt ziebart.

Do you know what it was ? i mean damn after 40 years that stuff was still baked on there. Had to heat it and scrape it off.

I havent seen any product like this around in this day and age. Closest stuff maybe bed liner ? VW used a heavy undercoat but it will bubble off and then moisture gets under it and actually makes it worth than having nothing.

The stuff you used on the frame does it bake on for years like the factory mopar stuff did ?

My next pick up (cummins) id like to have the underneath and frame done with something like the factory mopar stuff since im in the rust belt.

Troy

It's asphalt. You can buy a very good substitute from RestoRick:
http://www.restorick.com/products.asp?cat=11

I believe there are several brands of "rubberized undercoating" but I don't know the long term performance. Lots of guys use a 2 part (epoxy) bed liner these days. Then you can spray a little of the black stuff over top for effect.

Troy

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Troy on February 08, 2018, 12:10:31 PM

I believe there are several brands of "rubberized undercoating" but I don't know the long term performance. Lots of guys use a 2 part (epoxy) bed liner these days. Then you can spray a little of the black stuff over top for effect.

Troy

Asphalt that explains why it was soooooo tough.

This must be the KBS you mentioned. looks like we have a winner. I noticed there is a water and a solvent based asphalt coating. wonder what the difference is and which is better.
Thanks

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/UnderCoat-Solvent-Asphalt.html

Troy

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on February 08, 2018, 12:15:34 PM
Quote from: Troy on February 08, 2018, 12:10:31 PM

Troy

Asphalt that explains why it was soooooo tough.

This must be the KBS you mentioned. looks like we have a winner. I noticed there is a water and a solvent based asphalt coating. wonder what the difference is and which is better.
Thanks

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/UnderCoat-Solvent-Asphalt.html
Nope, I'm not putting anything rough that attracts gunk on the truck frames. I'm trying out the Rust Seal product - but there's a couple other products that go with it. I didn't even know they had an undercoating. I can get these locally if I run out. The Chassis Saver I have to order.

There are lots of "Paint Over Rust" type products but it seems like they are all basically the same thing that's been used for 100 years (and no, you rarely want to actually paint over rust). The goal is to keep oxygen away from the metal. You want a tough, scratch/abrasion resistant, that has a good bond to the metal. Most can be top coated for looks or UV protection. On truck frames it seems I'm always doing touch up so I picked the one that can stand alone. For cars my choice may be different. I've only used KBS for this year so I can't say if it's any better or worse than anything else.

Troy

pipeliner

Chassis Saver is good stuff. I put it on my trucks frame and it still looks good. As far as undercoating I hate that stuff rather it's from Ricks or who ever. If it's a full on Concourse restoration I could see maybe using it but the stuff attracts dirt and you can't clean it. I used tintable bed liner on my car when I had it on the rotisserie with an undercoating gun. You can adjust your air pressure to copy the undercoating texture right on the money and that's it, you're done.

charger_fan_4ever

The original mopar stuff was rough and probably caused dirt to stick, butttttttt it looks like nothing made it threw the undercoat on the original stuff. Thats basically what id like to put on the underneath. The rubberised stuff seems to crack over time (VW undercoating) then its a real mess and actually traps moisture and salt under there.

72Charger72

I had my car acid dipped but then used Eastwood Frame sealer for the internals comes with a nice 4 way spray nozzle not much else you can do for the inside and for the whole under side Im spraying with Raptor Tintable bedliner.