News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Charger vehicle weight over the years

Started by odcics2, February 09, 2018, 09:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteI'm going to change the A/C in my 70 from a factory style to an all electric Classic Auto Air setup. The water pump housing will now be aluminum. I'm curious about how the car's weight will be different. The stock HVAC box looks much bigger than the CAA unit. I'll weigh the car before and after to know for sure.
The heat and air has not worked in all of the time that I have had the car. I had felt that it was not necessary in a car that I drove so infrequently...BUT maybe with a functional heat and air system, maybe I'll drive it more ?
An a similar note...

BTW if you're going to have that 2nd-gen HVAC box for sale any time soon then I'm interested. 

matthompson

I drove my Charger on the scales a few years ago. 69 with 318, 727, 8 3/4 rear, full interior, full tank, & fully undercoated on both sides of the floors ( under the car & inside). Roll bar & wide push barfor the General Lee parts, & the aluminum rims. It came up to 3760 lbs.
I don't have any of the A/C stuff in my car though.

odcics2

The guys on the C Body site are posting weights for a Fury.
One guy posted the AMA specs. Even shows front/rear weights.
Check out the options.  A 318 to a 440 is about 232 pounds.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DixieRestoParts

Wow, those big cars weighed less than I would have guessed.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

brad mcintyre

i would have guessed 1st gen.would have been heaver than 2nd gen

c00nhunterjoe

Just scaled my car tonight. 69, 440 with alum heads, intake, water pump housing. Elec water pump. 22" alum rad. Headers into 18" collectors. No further exhaust. Standard 727. Dana 60. Stock suspension, factory aluminum manual steering box, disc front, large drums on rear. 2x3 .083 box frame connectors. Full interior with factory sound deadner. Aftermarket front seats, estimated 10 lbs lighter then stock. No heater box. 12 gallon plastic fuel cell. 15x7 vectors on front with 205/75. 15x10 vector rear with lightweight 30x9 slicks. Weight was taken with 0 fuel in cell.

Kern Dog

I understand the numbers but the words are hard to read/understand. Is the first number with no fuel, then with 5 gallons? That  much fuel weighs 31 pounds?
Is that word "Driver?"

JR

Yup. Gasoline weighs between 6 to 6.5 pounds per gallon.

A full (19 gallon) tank of fuel would weigh around 120 lbs.

Which means coonhunterjoes car would weigh 4100lbs wet with a stock fuel tank.

B bodies are heavy. I'd expect most second gens with their cast iron heads/intakes/water pumps and exhaust manifolds to weigh over 4200 lbs with driver fairly easily.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

c00nhunterjoe

Yes, with all of the missing stock parts, mine is 3720 with no fuel, 5 gallons of fuel and my fat carcass brings my race weight to 4011 lbs

odcics2

1969 Nascar stock cars weighed a minimum of 3,900.  (including a Daytona)

Race hemi - 4 speed iron case, full cage, reinforced heavy duty race suspension, tire/wheel assys of 75# each, 22 gallon fuel cell. Lots of 14 ga. used under the cars for strength.

Most cars came under the weights and needed lead to bring the weight up!

c00nhunterjoe

If my car had the stock seats, 906 heads, stock intake, radiator, heater box and components, it would easily weigh over 3900 lbs without a driver.

Challenger340

I am going to weigh my '69 R/T SE as soon as the weather allows, and then dig this thread back up.   

It's all stock original and unaltered, even the dam Exhaust System still factory, so it might be a good barometer ? but beforehand I am guessing 3850 W/no driver.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 20, 2018, 11:23:25 AM
I am going to weigh my '69 R/T SE as soon as the weather allows, and then dig this thread back up.   

It's all stock original and unaltered, even the dam Exhaust System still factory, so it might be a good barometer ? but beforehand I am guessing 3850 W/no driver.

We should take bets on it. I will take 3950.

cdr

It's a none AC car , so I am gonna say 3892 w/o driver  :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

odcics2

AMA specs for 1971.

odcics2

No comments on how light a 318 base model can be??   :shruggy:

3400!!!!!!!!!!

metallicareload99

I don't really believe those AMA numbers. And I think any 2nd generation Charger below 3600 must be pretty stripped down, a lot of glass body parts, lexan instead of glass, small block, no heater, etc.

I weighed my car in two configurations on a scale with 20 lbs resolution:
- 1968 XP Charger, 440 aluminum heads, intake, water pump and housing, manual steering, no A/C, manual 4 wheel discs, A-833 with iron bellhousing, Dana 60, XHD leaf springs, subframe connectors and torque boxes, full tank of gas without driver

3810 to 3820 lbs

First time I weighed it was with iron heads and it was only 20-40 pounds heavier. That was the only real difference from the above mentioned configuration. Needless to say, I was disappointed by the weight loss with aluminum heads
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

alfaitalia

Something wrong there surely.....I've not weighed a steel head against an alloy one....but it feels like a huge difference in weight. Maybe my arm scales need recalibrating!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

odcics2

Quote from: metallicareload99 on February 23, 2018, 03:37:15 AM
I don't really believe those AMA numbers. And I think any 2nd generation Charger below 3600 must be pretty stripped down, a lot of glass body parts, lexan instead of glass, small block, no heater, etc.

I weighed my car in two configurations on a scale with 20 lbs resolution:
- 1968 XP Charger, 440 aluminum heads, intake, water pump and housing, manual steering, no A/C, manual 4 wheel discs, A-833 with iron bellhousing, Dana 60, XHD leaf springs, subframe connectors and torque boxes, full tank of gas without driver

3810 to 3820 lbs

First time I weighed it was with iron heads and it was only 20-40 pounds heavier. That was the only real difference from the above mentioned configuration. Needless to say, I was disappointed by the weight loss with aluminum heads

I watched guys weighting stuff to come up with AMA numbers. Why would anyone lie about it?  This isn't  Washington, DC. !  lol..

Anyways, the 1971 3rd generation numbers I posted are very well in line with the 2nd generation figures you gave.  Keep in mind how much gas weights!

metallicareload99

Quote from: odcics2 on February 24, 2018, 03:10:33 PM

I watched guys weighting stuff to come up with AMA numbers. Why would anyone lie about it?  This isn't  Washington, DC. !  lol..

Anyways, the 1971 3rd generation numbers I posted are very well in line with the 2nd generation figures you gave.  Keep in mind how much gas weights!

Yeah? The C-Body stuff still doesn't sound right to me, but if they actually weighed em, how can I argue with that? Further I can kinda of see their methods in that the weights of the cars is apparently for a very basic stripped down car. They then list the additional weight of the options which you add to the basic weight. Some of those options would be almost universally equipped.

I'm still kind of at a loss as to why my car weighs so much. I suppose it has to do with the iron bellhousing, Dana 60 and the chassis reinforcement
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Mike DC

The Dana 60 is right about 50 lbs heavier than an 8.75 rear.  I recall a magazine article weighing both one time. 

Kern Dog

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 10, 2018, 12:48:43 AM
I weighed mine in 2000, then 2002. 1970 Charger, 318-904-8.25 axle with 4 wheel 10" drums. 3650. Later with a iron head 440-727-8.75 and 11" front discs, I was at 3850. Since then I have changed to aluminum heads but then added torque boxes, subframe connectors, gussets to the K member and lower control arms. I went with lighter seats but then moved the battery to the trunk. The longer wiring and cables added weight. I do wonder if am under 4000 lbs as it sits now.

I was able to get to the weigh station today. The car weighs 3940 lbs.

It had about 3/4 tank of gas.

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 21, 2018, 05:57:13 PM
I weighed mine in 2000, then 2002. 1970 Charger, 318-904-8.25 axle with 4 wheel 10" drums. 3650. Later with a iron head 440-727-8.75 and 11" front discs, I was at 3850. Since then I have changed to aluminum heads but then added torque boxes, subframe connectors, gussets to the K member and lower control arms. I went with lighter seats but then moved the battery to the trunk. The longer wiring and cables added weight. I do wonder if am under 4000 lbs as it sits now.

With you in the car ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

No, I weighed the car by itself. I am 190 lbs.

JR

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 21, 2018, 05:57:13 PM

So if you add 215 lbs or so for the driver and the extra 3 gallons of gas, your car weighs 4140 wet. Add in 75 lbs or so, for whatever a/c would add, and you're around 4250lbs.

So with that said, I'll be expecting your apology for this comment you made a few months ago , where you suggested I was fat. :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 17, 2017, 08:39:02 PM
Quote from: JR on December 17, 2017, 04:12:40 PM
You're underestimating the weight of a b body.

A stock, full steel, RB powered b body weighs around 4250 wet.

Maybe with YOU sitting in it.
My 70 weighed 3850 without the back seat. It is all steel except for aluminum heads and intake.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green