News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Upgrade transmission

Started by q8charger, February 10, 2018, 07:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

q8charger

Hello,

I want upgrade my 727 Automatic transmission, I believe i have first Generation of transmission.  I like street racing and daily driver. Where i should start?

c00nhunterjoe

1st gen as in push button? What engine? What is done to the engine?

67tbird

Previous posts show he has a '77 440, doubt if it's a push button tranny.

c00nhunterjoe

Ah, good point. A quick search of your previous posts tells me you have a basicly stock car with a  77 440 with a very small cam. If this is correct, i would reccomend keeping the stock converter and assuming the trans is in good working order, just installing a shiftkit.

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

q8charger

Yes I have the push button and my Engine 440 I believe from 1976 and have small cam . The transmission working in good condition

q8charger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 11, 2018, 08:27:24 AM
Ah, good point. A quick search of your previous posts tells me you have a basicly stock car with a  77 440 with a very small cam. If this is correct, i would reccomend keeping the stock converter and assuming the trans is in good working order, just installing a shiftkit.

What kind of shift kit ? Can I have the link please?

John_Kunkel

The cable-shifted 727, if original, has a 19-spline input shaft which make converter selection pretty slim. These are candidates for lots of upgrades, the list is long.

If a shift kit is all you intend to do, the Transgo TF-2 is the best bang for the buck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TransGo-TF-2-Shift-Kit-Automatic-Type-Chrysler-Torqueflite-Full-Race-Shifts-Each-/390977884116

Since this kit covers many years, a lot of the parts in the kit won't be used in earlier transmissions.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Im curious to see a push button setup in a 69. How and where did you incorporate the shifter? Is this a later slip yome lush button or the earlier ball and trunion?

68CoronetRT

I DD my 3500 stall PTC converter and Cope Reverse Manual Valve Body.... :shruggy:

Love it!

q8charger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 11, 2018, 04:13:33 PM

The cable-shifted 727, if original, has a 19-spline input shaft which make converter selection pretty slim. These are candidates for lots of upgrades, the list is long.

If a shift kit is all you intend to do, the Transgo TF-2 is the best bang for the buck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TransGo-TF-2-Shift-Kit-Automatic-Type-Chrysler-Torqueflite-Full-Race-Shifts-Each-/390977884116

Since this kit covers many years, a lot of the parts in the kit won't be used in earlier transmissions.

What about this  ??

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-tf-3

c00nhunterjoe

The main difference in the tf2 to tf3 is automatic of full manual shifts. If this is a daily driver, the tf2 would be better.

q8charger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 12, 2018, 12:40:52 PM
The main difference in the tf2 to tf3 is automatic of full manual shifts. If this is a daily driver, the tf2 would be better.

Thank you very much

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 11, 2018, 05:37:50 PM
Im curious to see a push button setup in a 69.

If you're real lucky you might find one of these from days past.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.