News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I called Orignial owner of my 69 Charger and...........

Started by Bad B-rad, February 11, 2018, 02:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

So I have the paper trail of my car from sold new on 7/3/69.(in Cali from 1969, till 12-2016)
And I tracked down the original owners phone number and a few members of the family phone numbers.
The original owner sold car to his nephew in 2006, and then he(the nephew,) sold it right away to a guy who did nothing but store it for ten years and sell it to me.
My car is #'s matching 383 4Bbl auto a/c PS/PB car, and has 7,000 miles but was hit in rear 1/4 in early 1980's.
SO I tracked down info on the nephew who saddly was a young man of about 36 when he passed away in 2014, so I can not talk to him.
I called the land line of orignial owner and it was no longer in service, but with a little more poking around I was able to get a new number for him(he still lives at the same address as on the reg from the 70's), and  phone number of a few family members.
I called the new number for orignial owner, and no answer, but I was able to leave a message, so I left my name and number and reason I wish to speak with him. And I hope he will call me back.

So after that, I went down the list to one of the org owners son's, I dial up that number and it rings a few times and then a young man anwsers, I ask for Keith, and I get a hold on a min, and he yells "dad, Phone,
SO now I am excited, because I have the correct number(for keith anyway) and I will soon have answers to the questions I have about my car.
I am now a few momments away from talking to someone who know this car from almost new!!!!!(HOW COOL IS THIS!!!!!)
"Hello", says the man on the phone.
"Hello" I say, and then I begin with "My name is Brad Kelly, I am from New York and I have a green 1969 Dodge Charger, that once belonged to Ron, and I was wondering if I could talk with him about the car I am restoring". I am so excited I can't stand it.
"How did you get this number?" He shouts, and before I can answer he adds "I am not giving out any ones phone number!!, I am gonna hang up now!!"
(Now I already have what I think is Rons phone number, but I can see he is kinda angry already, and I do not want to piss him off, I just want answers to help fill in the mystery of my car)

"Well I am not asking for you to give out any ones phone number, but if you could just take down my number, and maybe pass it along to Ron, so I could maybe talk with him about this car I am restoring, That would be great" I said to him, as polite and curtious  as I can be!!

"How did you get my name and number", he shouts.
"Well," I said," I have bought this Charger, and I have a ton of paperwork on the car, and your name came up as a family member, and I figured you may be able to help me.
I have a bill of sale from orignial owner to the nephew, and newphew passed away in 2014, so I can not talk with him about the car, so, the next in line would be the org owner, and you came up as a contact number for him.
I wanted to talk with him, about the low mileage of the car and how it got wrecked?
Was it wrecked by him or the nephew?, and was it put away right after it was hit as I was told?
I just had a few questions about the car I am restoring and I wanted t try and talk with some one about the history of it.
Maybe even you can answer the questions,I have ?" I said, again trying to be polite.(I know he is already upset and I want to keep him calm)
"Well you are talking about some very private and cold, big things/ events  that happened in our familly and I am hanging up now!" CLICK!!!

Now I changed the names (in the story)as to respect the privacy of the guy I seam to have offended.

SO this only adds more to the mystery of my cars history.

I feel like calling him  again would not be the best idea!
I may still get a reply from the number I left a message on(of the orig owner), or I guess I could maybe have my wife reach out to the nephew's wife, in a few days and see if she has anyluck?
I dont want to piss anyone off, but now I want to know MORE!!!!!!!
I also thought about maybe writing a letter to the son of owner, the guy who I talked to, and sending photos of the car and just explain again how I have no ill will to anyone, that this is not a scam, I just was trying to fill in the blank of this cars history.
This car has a story to tell, and like it or not the story involves this guys father, and nephew.
Now this guy dosent owe me anything, and I respect that, but I feel like most people would not mind talking about there old mans car for a bit?

My father bought a 1995 GMC top kick low pro with IMT crane and body on it with a CAT engine in it,BRAND NEW, that my evil step mom stole upon my old man's death and if some dude called me about it, I would talk about it for a few,I wouldnt freak out, and my old man had given me that truck, before she screw me and my brother.
But that is just me.

So anyway I posted this to gauge some advice on the next step I should take, if that should be to call, write a letter, try someone else, or let my wife give it a shot, as maybe a female voice may sound less of a threat?(She sound very young, like talking to a nine year old girl)Or even to just let it be, and mind my own bee's wax!!???

I somehow fired this guy up in a bad way and that was not what I was trying to do, I also get the feeling maybe this car has been the center of a family issue, being that the orignial guy had it untill 2006(with 7,000 miles, and a minor crash in the early 80's)) and in 2006 sold it to his nephew, who turned around and sold it right away.
What would be your advice if you were I?
This maybe the center of some family issues he dosent want to relive or stir up again

6bblgt

sounds like some bad blood in the original owner's family, probably over the "who was supposed to get the Charger"

you really don't think that car has 7,000 miles on it , correct?    :rofl: 107,000 at least

Bad B-rad

As far as the mileage anything is possible, but I have paper work from in 1979 and the car had 1700 miles on it, then.
Now the car may have 7,000 miles but it was not always stored in a climate controlled storage, LOL!!!!The story I got was orignal owner had it garaged, and in 2006 when 2nd guy got it it sat outside for a bit.

Anything is possiable, it could have 107,000 miles, but I got her running, and most everthing works!!!(The A/C has no refrigerant in the compressor, and a few vacuum lines were dry rotted  at the brake booster, and the sun destroyed the top and carpet, and some of the top of door panels, have small sun/ age cracks)
The window wipers are TIGHT, the rubber on the brake and gas are mint(a lot of times they have wear on the corner of the brake, from being hit so much)
The doors shut TIGHT, with just a light swing, The seats are mint, head liner has small, small tear.
Car has all factory paint(except what I have repainted on the engine)

All factory brake and fuel lines are present, but all drive belts were replaced, as were top rad hose, and one of the heater hose set of clamps.
I broke the lower rad hose spring clamp, when messing with it.
Also all numbers match as far as parts that would be on a 69 Charger built in april, more then just the vin on the engine and trans(distributer #'s, Carb#'s, Intake manifold#'s, water pump#'s alternator #'s and so on)
And most of the old Mopars I have had, so far(68,000, and 50,000, mile cars) have a bunch of repacement parts on it from sitting or service, but also this is first Cali car I have ever owned.

I am not a fool, but all things point to it being a super well cared for(for most of the cars 49 years any way!!)
As the car is almost 100% complete(even jack is in place) Spare is gone, but I have the orignal deep dish wheel covers.

The car needs work, but as of now I am more interstead in trying to get some history from the family to help figure out if it is a true 7,000 mile car or not.

spoolinhard

The guy obviously wants to be left alone. I would respect his wishes; he doesn't feel the same as you about having a discussion. I don't think you (or your wife) are going to change his mind.  As far as the nephews widow is concerned, proceed with caution. In the grand scheme of life, a car is not really important. It's nice to have documentation. You are not entitled to it.

Bad B-rad

That's why I am asking for members thoughts on the matter, because sometimes when your are so close to something,like this, you need to step back to get a clear head.

I am not trying to piss anyone off or make anyone angry with me.
and maybe he will think it over and call me back.
I don't want to make any more moves with out a clear head as far as I feel I may not get a 3rd chance at this.

Moparsaver

Quote from: Bad B-rad on February 11, 2018, 08:04:21 AM
That's why I am asking for members thoughts on the matter, because sometimes when your are so close to something,like this, you need to step back to get a clear head.

I am not trying to piss anyone off or make anyone angry with me.
and maybe he will think it over and call me back.
I don't want to make any more moves with out a clear head as far as I feel I may not get a 3rd chance at this.

Why is there such a "need to know" on any information?   It is your car now, enjoy it.   And stop stalking prior owners!    :Twocents:

Bad B-rad

Why is there such a "need to know" on any information?   It is your car now, enjoy it.   And stop stalking prior owners!    :Twocents:
[/quote]

I didn't see the harm in reaching out to the original owner, as it would be cool to know more about it, how and when it was in the crash, and why it was so important to save the car in such good shape after the crash, if they weren't going to fix it?

As I said he does not owe me anything, but I have gotten cool stuff by talking with former owners of cars.

I bought a first year Jeep Wrangler, that was a low mile example, and it was rolling on 3 of the original four stock rims.
One day I got a knock on my door, and it was a guy who owned the Jeep a few years ago, and wanted to know if I wanted the "Missing" rim, he still had it.
So I got the last rim for it and got to know the history of the Jeep a bit more, but more importantly, I gained a friend, I still do all the repair work on his and his sons cars and trucks, and I plow his driveway(no charge, friend price,LOL) Just last week he dropped off a almost brand new portable basket ball hoop set, the kind you fill the base with water, for my two son, so sometimes you never know!

Again, they don't owe me anything, and, as of now, I have not yet turned into a stalker, LOL!!
I just figured before I proceed, anymore, before I cross any lines, I would get some advice, from you guys.
Maybe some of you have been down this road before.
Like I had said if someone called me up about a car I used to own I would be ok with that, but I understand people are different and that does not make him a bad guy.

I think best bet is to just leave it be, and maybe sent him a letter with a few photos of the car explaining  my posistion and include a gift card to the outback or some restaurant for him to enjoy, and let him know I will not be bothering him anymore and I am just a dude who loves old Mopars and wanted to know a bit more of this cars history.
And hope he decides to reply to me.

Bad B-rad

Maybe there is some crazy CHRISTINE type story with this car, and I have an evil possessed demon car in my garage, that would explain the tin foil wrapped hamburgers on the dash, the name Artie Cunningham on the key fob, and the reason why the guy hung up on me and acted like I just crapped in his corn flakes!!!

My wife thinks maybe the issue was in the way the nephew got the car(that maybe the issue itself, that he got it)and sold it right away, after they had held on to it for so long.

As of now I am gonna let it be, and go bleed the brakes on the Charger,and hope I get a return phone call.

69CoronetRT

Fwiw....I agree with you.

I was fortunate to find and correspond with the original owner of my car. I was able to compile a complete ownership trail back to the dealer and get a letter from the owner detailing a little more history on the car.

Humans are generally curious beings. Researching the history of a car is like searching for your ancestry. Every thing and person has a story. We like to know where things come from and their background.

Good luck on your search. I'd suggest a short, polite letter including your phone number. I'd also encourage finding other potential contact links in case this one is a dead end.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

BeeOrange

I have a somewhat similar story:

I traced my 70 Super Bee back to the original owner. I spoke with him and had a great conversation. The car was sold new from Motor Sales and Service in Ames Iowa. I decided to try and find history on the dealership. I traced it back to the owner when the car was sold (the car stayed at the dealership for a year and I was wondering if they used it for some reason) via the town hall. Found a few people with the same last name as the dealers owners and started making calls. I reached the owners nephew. He was very polite, telling me his aunt (owners wife) was still alive. Then said I am asking you nicely not to contact her as the business closing caused much grief for her and he didn't want me to cause her to relive it. I had her name and number via the internet, just had called the nephew first. I told him I wouldn't call her and thanked him for his time. He thanked me and that was it, I never called her.

People who are not into cars don't get our natural want to know our cars history.

Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs be. No sense stirring up bad memories over a car, no matter how cool or special the car may be.

My two cents
70 Super Bee FK5 383 4-Speed
68 GTX RR1 426 Auto
70 Cuda FC7 440 Auto

Psalm 37:5: Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.

triple_green

I have to agree, the guy you talked to was pretty clear about not contacting them.

Not everybody is excited about these cars as we are.

The original owner of my car died of cancer in her 40s. Her husband held onto the car until his late 60s when he was remarrying and moving. Even after I had the car mostly restored, I called him once and offered to show it to him, he was polite but I could tell not really interested.

Sometime in the early 80s, a grandson had been given possession of the car it had a couple of stickers - local HS parking permit. He had done some things like try to recaulk the trunk lid. (Didn't understand that the back window corners were rotted out). But the Grandpa told me the grandson had misbehaved and he took the car away from him and put it back in storage.

Anyway, I always wondered if that grandson was going to come up to me at a car show and chew me out.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Bad B-rad

WOW 69CoronetR/T, that is great news, you have all that paperwork and info on your car!!!!!
You are a lucky man!!!

I look at it kinda like you do.
How many of these cars are still unrestored and in good shape?
And how many have paper trails from day 1?
And to have stories and of photos of the car at the begining of its life, and/or all along it's journey, that sweet!!!
I would have to say that a most of the regular cars(not rare one of one Hemi cars, or a 6BBL cars)but regular cars, Cars bought by regular people their history is gone, lost forever, not that the car cant have a great future with out knowledge of the past, that's not what I am saying.
Different strokes rule the world(or so the song goes), and I love to read the car books for the tales of the cars complete life, not just, I got her all rusty and worn out and I fixed everything up, new again.
I love to hear the car was bought by a guy who did such and such, and he drove it until "X" and then he gave it to his kids to drive and then they sold it to buy a new family car, and then the next guy who bought it  turned it into a drag car, until he parked it and so on.
I love Mopar muscle cars, and I love to hear as much of the cars life story as I can, that is interesting to me.
If given the chance I think most of us would like to know a bit our cars past.
I live in NY about 25-30 min from the 1969 woodstock music festival site, and in 1997, I bought a 1968 Coronet 440, the guy I got that car from had told me the car had been to woodstock in 1969 and he personaly took it to the woodstock in 94, I thought that was cool,the car had been to both woodstocks.
If that Coronet could TALK!!!!!

Bad B-rad

I also must say, I do LOVE hearing your guys stories of your past experience with similar situation.

I maybe hard headed, but I know I was polite on the phone,and the feeling I got from the guy was, A) He thinks this is some sort of scam and I was trying to get some personal info out of him, or B) the car crash or the nephew selling the car was a very sore subject that may have been a source of a family feud.

And if he hung up because he thought I was a scammer then there maybe some hope, if it is because the car is the center of a family issue, and it has bad JU-JU- attached to it for them, then I probably have reached the end of the road with the issue.
I just wish I knew what side of the coin the guy thought I was, because in  scenario "A" it is just a misunderstanding, and scenario "B" I am an asshole if I call him again!!!

Again I do love at least hearing your stories, and I will be letting sleeping dogs lie for now.
    Thanks for advice and your stories!!!!!!
Keep them coming!!

Challenger340

I had never known much about my Charger's prior history in the 1970's.
Then just by a fluke conversation with a guy one day that I can't get into here, I was given a "name" of a family just down the highway about 30 miles of all places !
I looked in the phone Book.... and Presto... there it was, so I called !

I had a really great conversation with the guy's wife, she was really excited to hear from me, and a very pleasant lady when I said I was calling about the old Charger her husband used to own ? Apologized for any intrusion, and hoped she didn't mind me calling, but I was just trying to find out the Charger's history ? how it was still in such great shape ? somebody must have really looked after it ? etc., etc., ?
* "oh he is not home right now, but he will be so glad you phoned"
* "he absolutely loved that Car"
she then proceeded to fill in the Charger's history in the 70's until early 80's
* "I have our wedding photo's with that Car".... "I'll get you some copies made"
more questions from me....
* "No it was in absolutely beautiful shape, no rust, we only sold it to buy a house after the wedding"
* Nope, he never touched that Car mechanically, no need, it ran great and was very reliable, and I would know because I looked after ALL his money"
and on and on...
she was a really nice woman, very pleasant, and loved reminiscing about the Charger.  I suspected their initial romance may have.... ahem....  "blossomed" in the Charger ? LOL

Then she said something that explains why since that day's phone call to her, now NOBODY will answer the phone or return my messages ? And why the widow I bought the Charger from was very strangely "vague" at best about the Charger's prior history ? or feigned she didn't know ? (I thought she was hiding something)
* "you know he was trying to Buy the Charger back for many years, even after ***** passed away, but there was some contention in price between him and the widow"
Like I said...
now nobody will answer the phone or return my messages ?
I figure when he came home and she related I had called.... all hell broke loose !  
Such a nice lady, I hope I didn't get her in too much trouble with the husband, who very clearly still holds some ill feelings around NOT being able to re-acquire the Charger back from the widow where I bought it ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

DixieRestoParts

Back before everybody got privacy crazy, I was able to track down the complete sales/ownership history of both my R/T's through my home state. They even sent copies of MSO's. With that information I was able to track down the original owners. Couldn't find any other owners, but did get the original ones. This was circa 1995.

On my R6 car, the guy still lived in the same house with the same phone number. He originally ordered it F8 Green, then changed to R6 Red. He bought it as a supertrak pak to race. He was very successful until someone cut his fuel line and he had an engine fire. He fixed it and traded it in on a RR. Said he regretted it ever since. Once it's restored, I'd like to take it to him and show it.

On my F3 car, the guy had moved but lived in the same area, he invited me to his house and I spent time with his family showing them pictures of the car as I had owned it and talking about the history. He originally wanted a 4spd with a/c. Mopar said  you have to choose, no 440 4spd's get a/c. So, he chose the 4-spd. Very cool.  He chose the 440 because Hemi's were still rare and he was afraid no one could work on it, if it broke down. He chose F3 Green because he liked it. Very nice guy and enjoyed visiting with him.

I was lucky both guys were open to talking. In your case, I'd probably leave the guy alone. Maybe send him a letter requesting some of his time and even offering to pay for it. Something like sending him say $50 via paypal for an hour of his time. That would show your sincerity, but if it's a bad emotional thing, it probably won't work. Keep the offer open and give him multiple ways of contacting you.

Good luck in your resto, sounds like a neat car. How about posting some pics?  
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

DAY CLONA

Personally I don't get or know what the fascination is with knowing a vehicle's history, or history of owners, contacting past owners can open up a can of worms, bring back bad memories of events they may have finally left in the past or perhaps still dwell on?, I've been in the same boat, past or original owners showing up at my door after tracking me/their old car down, to inquire if it''s for sale, or give me their "grief" that I altered the vehicle from it's original self, or looking for one last "joy ride"... last thing I want is to entertain them, or even be bothered period!

A few years ago I bumped into the original owner of my Challenger (friend of my step father) that I bought off him 40 years ago, after exchanging "pleasantries" he joking asked if I still had his old Challenger, I said "yes I do," (he would have cringed if he knew it was still in pristine condition) after that the first words out of his mouth were " That was my first new car, I bought it off the showroom floor, then a few short years later I sold it to you because of my fucking divorce, you knew that right!" the look on his face clearly opened an old wound...

Personally, the only history that matters to me about owning an "old car" is the history you make with it, if you let it go, it's gone, I wouldn't want to be contacted by the latest owner of any of my toys I had to sell....

Kern Dog

Another guy that..."bought it new off the showroom floor..."  ::)
Showrooms must have been a revolving door in the 60s and 70s. EVERYONE seems to have bought their car new off the showroom floor.

lloyd3

Interesting. I tracked mine back to who I believed was the original owner (all this before 9/11 effectively wrecked the easy opportunity to do so). Sent him a long letter full of questions, which I got back marked "deceased-return to sender".  Oh well.  Mine is coded as an "ordered" car with the strip-delete option checked.  This fellow's address in the Summer of 1968 was just a few blocks away from Offutt Air Force Base, home of the Strategic Air Command.  I suspect it would have been neat to hear that story.  I always speculated that it was ordered by some B-52 bomber jock Air Force Officer (who didn't want the stripe to blow his cover).

Simonic

Some interesting stories and opinions here,i've enjoyed reading them all.
My  :Twocents: is,i only bought my present Dodge last year and I've tried for many of the reasons listed above to contact the previous owner,however,the dealer I bought the car off have 'lost' his details,the local DMV refused me a title history as I didn't have 'just cause',i wrote the guy at his address with no luck,tried his phone number(disconnected)even contacted some of the local car clubs to see if anyone knew him....No luck whatsoever.
I've about given up now.......However if anybody is near to Richland MI and would like to do me a favour......... :2thumbs:
Mopar owner in the UK..

Kern Dog

My car was passed around like a party whore. Lucky for me, it was a 318 car so it wasn't modified. It was mostly original. Two owners back, the guy had it stored for 12 years. The guy I dealt with had 2 cars but could only keep one. He chose a Mercury Cougar to keep. LUCKY for me!

Bad B-rad

I also love these stories!!!
Kern Dog, the guy given the choice between the two, choice to keep the COUGAR!!!!!
HOLY CRAP, you are a lucky man!!!!!
I hope you bought a lotto ticket that day, DANG!!!!!!

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 11, 2018, 06:19:22 PM
Another guy that..."bought it new off the showroom floor..."  ::)
Showrooms must have been a revolving door in the 60s and 70s. EVERYONE seems to have bought their car new off the showroom floor.

There are individuals who insist that the model on the showroom floor was the one they wanted, my step Father was one of those, he payed cash, never financed (never needed to) he always preferred the showroom models, as that was the one that was usually optioned out/ordered by the dealer for promotion, or may have been customized in some way by the dealer, I remember him walking on deals many times when he was refused the showroom display vehicle, he would never look at dealer stock on the lot, he either ordered it, or if he saw something on the showroom floor he bought it...

On another note, my Uncle owned an AMC dealership from the late 50's up to the early 80's, I spent some time there during the late 60's into the mid 70's, high end luxury models and performance models were the only thing on the showroom floor, the buyers with cash walked into the showroom to make a purchase and these vehicles were aimed at that kind of buyer, the folks that needed financing, or talk trade and turkey, milled about the lot looking at the grocery getters waiting for a salesman

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 11, 2018, 05:54:42 PM
Personally I don't get or know what the fascination is with knowing a vehicle's history, or history of owners, contacting past owners can open up a can of worms, bring back bad memories of events they may have finally left in the past or perhaps still dwell on?, I've been in the same boat, past or original owners showing up at my door after tracking me/their old car down, to inquire if it''s for sale, or give me their "grief" that I altered the vehicle from it's original self, or looking for one last "joy ride"... last thing I want is to entertain them, or even be bothered period!

A few years ago I bumped into the original owner of my Challenger (friend of my step father) that I bought off him 40 years ago, after exchanging "pleasantries" he joking asked if I still had his old Challenger, I said "yes I do," (he would have cringed if he knew it was still in pristine condition) after that the first words out of his mouth were " That was my first new car, I bought it off the showroom floor, then a few short years later I sold it to you because of my fucking divorce, you knew that right!" the look on his face clearly opened an old wound...

Personally, the only history that matters to me about owning an "old car" is the history you make with it, if you let it go, it's gone, I wouldn't want to be contacted by the latest owner of any of my toys I had to sell....

I am 100% the opposite. I like to know the history of all my cars. Usually cool stories come along with the old car. Different strokes for different folks.

71 SE3834V

Another guy that..."bought it new off the showroom floor..."  ::)

I got the same story back in '79 when I bought a '64 Olds Cutlass. Wasn't highly optioned as the only options I can think of are 330c.i 4bbl high compression engine, ps, pb, bucket seats and yellow w/black top paint scheme.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

I bought my car from a friend's mother. His father had brought the car up from Tennessee to Michigan for him to drive in high school. He went off to college, the car got put in the garage and there it sat for some 20 years until I found out about it! He said "I never knew if my father might have won it gambling as he played in some high stakes poker games."
Sadly his father is no longer with us so that info is lost forever. That would sure be a story!
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

cdr

I bought my Charger in 2011, I was able to trace down my cars owner history to 1974, the guy that owned it from 1976 to the 90's is now a friend on Facebook, he enjoys seeing pictures of his old car, he sent me a big stack of old car magazines from the 70's.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Troy

I really don't ever try to trace the history of my cars. Usually because I'm afraid I'll say something like "WTF did you do here?". I must buy a lot of cars owned by crappy mechanics and/or bad drivers...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Kern Dog

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on February 12, 2018, 07:38:46 AM

I got the same story back in '79 when I bought a '64 Olds Cutlass. Wasn't highly optioned as the only options I can think of are 330c.i 4bbl high compression engine, ps, pb, bucket seats and yellow w/black top paint scheme.

My point is that this phrase gets thrown around like the 383 Hemi, the 440 six pack, the "exhaust manifolds flow as good as headers" stories. People just sometimes ramble on without thinking anyone is going to call them out on what they say.
I sold cars in the 80s. Showrooms were not that big in Sacramento. You'd be lucky to get 3 cars on the floor. Of ALL the guys I met at car shows that said their Dad/Uncle/Cousin bought their car new off the showroom floor , I seriously doubt that more than 3 in 10 buyers actually bought a showroom car.
Sorry for the rant, I just equate this to urban guys with the ..."no whut I'm sayin? and other verbal quirks people have.

Nacho-RT74

I don't have to dig out a lot for the story of my car. I'm second owner. First owner changed his Charger on every year. Bought his first one on 71, then got the 72, 73 and last the 74. Never bought another car after that and simply kept the 74. He died on 95 or 96 as far I recall and I bought it on 97 to his son what it was a school friend of mine.

Shame I'd never know what happened on its life to some stuff. It got some small dents under the frame, a patch on front frame rail where the K frame nut goes and some other dents here and there. But still factory everything... paint, vinyl, stripe.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

69CoronetRT

Or the phrase "my car was special ordered".

Most likely, you car was simply "ordered". That's what happened then. People ordered cars to be built how they wanted them equipped. Dealers did not have lots full of inventory. There were showroom cars to show you what was available then you ordered one from a that example and the data books.

My car was ordered. The buyer went to the dealership, sat down with the order form and checked the boxes of how he wanted the car equipped.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

fizz

I get the motivation. In 2011 I bought a 1945 indian motorcycle from an 85 year old guy who traded it in for a snowmobile at his dealership in 1971. He mentioned that it was traded in by a guy from the town I was living in, but didn't remember the name. In bullshitting about it with a friend, he said one of his employees talked about his Dad trading a Indian in for a snowmobile in the early 70's. So I made a call, and the widow of the guy who traded it in and the two sons came over to look at it. Sure enough, it was the same bike, they brought over the original shop manuel and parts manuel, along with the title transfer paperwork from 1948 when he got it, and found it was originally bought new by the Chicago Tribune during the war. Then one of the Aunts came up with a picture of him riding it in 1948. Good story, guy was 18 when he wwent to visit his cousins in Chicago, bought the bike and rode it home. And, providence is worth something.

Charger-Bodie

I understand the draw to wanting the info,but I also understand that the other people involved may not want to be disturbed about it. Sure some will be fine and even excited, but some are gonna feel violated by the intrusion.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

lloyd3

With how the mass-marketers work these days, folks are always suspicious about being contacted by a stranger.  Robo-calls and junk-mail are so much the norm anymore that none of us really want to be bothered.  I don't answer any of my phones unless I recognize the number or, at least I'm expecting somebody to call. My answering machine is now used mostly to just screen my calls.  This was a far-more innocent (& helpful!) country when I did my search almost 20-years ago. You really need to be law-enforcement to do it effectively now.

Ghoste

Very true, telemarketers have created a lot of mistrust over unwanted phone calls and phone scams have done even more damage within some of the older people who are too frequently the victims of these clowns.  Unfortunately the original owners of these cars fall into that very age category.  But I do find the majority of people are excited to know some special car from their past is still aroound and they are anxious to talk about it.

74Rallye

I've never been able to afford a car that came with a story. When ever a seller spent over a 1/2 hour talking about the awesome times they had in the car, it seemed like the price became just as awesome.

Bad B-rad

Every car has a story, it just may be a boring story.
Someone bought it drove it, sold it, next guy drove it then paked it outside for 30 years!!!
I am wondering why, some one who has a car that is 12-15 years old, and then crashes it,(and at that time I am sure most people would have called the car done and junked it, then stores it, in beautiful shape for another 25 years or so, to do nothing with it?
I also sort of want to know how it got hit?
And if I never find out so be it, I will still have fun with it,and bring her back to life.
But I would like to know!!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: lloyd3 on February 11, 2018, 07:12:56 PM
Interesting. I tracked mine back to who I believed was the original owner (all this before 9/11 effectively wrecked the easy opportunity to do so). Sent him a long letter full of questions, which I got back marked "deceased-return to sender".  Oh well.  Mine is coded as an "ordered" car with the strip-delete option checked.  This fellow's address in the Summer of 1968 was just a few blocks away from Offutt Air Force Base, home of the Strategic Air Command.  I suspect it would have been neat to hear that story.  I always speculated that it was ordered by some B-52 bomber jock Air Force Officer (who didn't want the stripe to blow his cover).

I was born at Offutt, as my Dad was stationed there  :coolgleamA:

BDF

This Friday I'm having lunch with my father (original purchaser) and am going to ask him lots of questions about the car. Everytime he sees or talks about it he says "what a beautiful car", "what a sexy machine", and "I love that car".
And I agree with him more!  :cheers:

BDF

70 sublime

Had the last owner of my car stop in yesterday to see it since he sold it to me
I never met him in person the first time and just bought the car over the phone and internet pictures
He drove 6 1/2 hours to get here and was heading to a sports tournament farther up the road
He had the car from 1984 to 2014
Opened the shop door to have a look at the Charger and he was grinning from ear to ear
Got a few more stories on it that I had not heard before like the spare tire he brought with them to pick the car up with ended up not getting off the plane when they did and went to Hawaii and back
By the sounds of it I do not think I will have any more luck going back any farther on ownership as it was a little old lady he got the car from back then

Good luck B-rad with your history quest

Wish everyone that has a former Charger of mine would call as I would like to know how all the cars have turned out  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

TexasStroker

I definitely understand wanting to know the history of the car...In this case it sounds like you have done all you can do with that lead.  You might check around for any Mopar clubs in the area, or performance shops that may have been familiar with the car.  Even if it was just parked, locals will remember it and provide more details...details that will come without the risk of upsetting someone. 
The last thing you need is to rile anyone, especially as they have your name and info now.  You are 50/50 if you get someone receptive to this stuff, or angry.  Often times the more you know that you don't know, the stronger your desire to try and figure it out...I'd bleed the brakes and explore other leads, lol.  You've got the car...make it a good history in NY  :2thumbs:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Bad B-rad

I know, that's my issue, now that I know the orig, owner is still alive, and his family is aware of the car, and there is some family history, I REALLY WANT TO KNOW the story!!!!LOL
More now then, before I made the call!!!!!

I am most curious as to the story of the 1/4 panel damage, and as to why and where is was stored for so long, without any attempts to repair it?

The thing is I am dealing with a guy who got angry with me due to: A) he misunderstood my intent, or B) dosent want to talk about the car.
But he was owners brother, so just because he dosent want to talk, dosent mean his brother, or other family members will mind talking about it.

But reguardless I feel like I must tread lightly with the next move, as if he dosent want to talk over the phone, I can only guess how he would react to me sending out letters or calls and involving a bunch of his family members.

For now I am just gonna leave it alone.

But dam, do I want to get to the bottom of this!!!

ANYONE here from Kelseyville CA 95451???
It is in Lake County?
If so PM me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's orig/prev owner stories, they are GREAT!!!!!
Thanks, and keep them comming!!!!

Edelbroke

Scrolled all the way to the end looking for pics of a 7,000 mile Charger. Nothing

BDF

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 12, 2018, 09:06:45 PM
Quote from: 71 SE3834V on February 12, 2018, 07:38:46 AM

My point is that this phrase gets thrown around like the 383 Hemi, the 440 six pack, the "exhaust manifolds flow as good as headers" stories. People just sometimes ramble on without thinking anyone is going to call them out on what they say.
I sold cars in the 80s. Showrooms were not that big in Sacramento. You'd be lucky to get 3 cars on the floor. Of ALL the guys I met at car shows that said their Dad/Uncle/Cousin bought their car new off the showroom floor , I seriously doubt that more than 3 in 10 buyers actually bought a showroom car.
Sorry for the rant, I just equate this to urban guys with the ..."no whut I'm sayin? and other verbal quirks people have.
Well, I had lunch with my father today and he started musing about the car. It seems he had his eye on a bronze one w/ white top in Riverside, CA. It was about $4K he said, a LOT of money at the time and big payments for him. He said he went to get it and the salesman had 'low-balled' him and said he had talked to the manager who wanted $500 more than he had been quoted. So my dad said he didn't think so and went to San Bernadino and bought the F6/V1W/V88 instead and added he was "glad I did, that's a special car."
He then told me about his brother's car, 1968 orange w/white top & interior & 426 HEMI. I told him that I remembered the car and riding in it to the 1st NASCAR race at Ontario Motor speedway.
Then I asked "so you bought it off the lot, it wasn't ordered"? He looked at me and emphasized "NO! I drove it off the showroom floor!"
That's his story and he's sticking to it... :cheers:

Bad B-rad

Great story!!!
Well in 2003, I was 23 and just had a 1 year old son, I called up local Dodge dealer and asked about an electric blue Pt cruiser my wife wanted(I know, I know, I wanted a Magnum R/T, took 5 years but I got it , anyway)I called and asked about the Pt cruiser she had been bugging me about, and we met the salesman at the dealer, about 7:30, 8 pm that night, and he had pulled the Pt cruiser into the show room, we looked it over, sat down at his desk, right next to the car, and we cut a deal, and she drove it home that night..............................OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR!!!!!!

Now I know the car had only been pulled inside about 1/2 hr before we arrived, but hey at least I got a "off the showroom floor" story!!!!!!!!!!!

(very depressing that my story is about a Pt cruiser, and your pop's had a sexy 69 Charger!!)

DAY CLONA

It was a novelty back in the day to hear, or an individual to say "I bought it off the showroom floor", or it was a "special order", when truth be told, it didn't really matter, it was still just production line trash...it could be equated to today's nomenclature spewed forth like: "it's numbers matching" or "it's all original", or "it's a survivor", or "it's one of 5072 red and black striped 68 RR's, and 1 of 4978 with a 4 speed, and 1 of 378 with single rear speaker, and 1 of 1 with a cigar lighter delete option, and my pops bought it off the showroom floor!"...IMHO what makes one's vehicle special, is when it stands out and above the "crowd" of others, pedigree means nothing

BDF

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 27, 2018, 03:51:39 PM
It was a novelty back in the day to hear, or an individual to say "I bought it off the showroom floor", or it was a "special order", when truth be told, it didn't really matter, it was still just production line trash...it could be equated to today's nomenclature spewed forth like: "it's numbers matching" or "it's all original", or "it's a survivor", or "it's one of 5072 red and black striped 68 RR's, and 1 of 4978 with a 4 speed, and 1 of 378 with single rear speaker, and 1 of 1 with a cigar lighter delete option, and my pops bought it off the showroom floor!"...IMHO what makes one's vehicle special, is when it stands out and above the "crowd" of others, pedigree means nothing
Mine stands out and above the "crowd" and it is a 1OF 1 car, it's the only ONE I have.
:woohoo:
The 'show room' thing didn't mean much to me but judging by my dad's tone of voice it did to him. :cheers:

BDF

PS: ...and my pops bought it off the showroom floor!  :nana:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: BDF on February 27, 2018, 09:09:31 PM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 27, 2018, 03:51:39 PM
Mine stands out and above the "crowd" and it is a 1OF 1 car, it's the only ONE I have.
:woohoo:
The 'show room' thing didn't mean much to me but judging by my dad's tone of voice it did to him. :cheers:

Like I had mentioned earlier in this thread, my step father was enamored with buying showroom models only, his reasoning was the car was better prepped, and any problems were rectified before it was displayed, where the lot stock out back was pretty much as delivered, in some instances he was right...

BDF

Bad B-rad

It would be great, if I had the money, and if I could track down the original dealer ship where my car was sold, and try to by the original show room floor,(carpet,tile, wood, what ever)  that way when people say I bought it off the show room floor, I can say,OH YEAH!!!! Well I bought the actual showroom floor, so suck it!!!!!

And good call guys, mine is a 1 of 2, but it is the only 69 I have!

bill440rt

I bought my '70 R/T back in the late '80's, and it came with every bit of paperwork since day one. I had a list of every owner's name, including the original owner who was on the bill of sale.
I also had the window sticker, so I knew where the car was sold. Rumor had it the original owner was in his mid-50's at the time of purchase, so I never bothered to contact him thinking he might have been long gone.
It wasn't until about 6 years ago that I decided why not look them up, if anything just to trace a little more history about the car.
Being the 5th owner, I already knew the 4th. Owner's #2 & #3 were dead ends. I Googled the original owner's name, thinking I might just find a relative. All I had was his name, and the town. One popped up in the same town where he was from, and where I bought the car in the '80's. The car remained in the same area since new until I bought it.
On the first call, and elderly woman answered the phone. I asked for the gentleman's name, she asked why & I told her I was tracing a car's history and his name is on the paperwork.
The man said hello, & my heart was pounding. I told him my name, and that I was researching a car I own with his name as the original owner. He asked what kind of car, and I told him a purple 1970 Charger R/T. "Oh yes, I had one", he said. I had found the original owner.
Even though I had tons of paperwork already, the amount of information and stories he told me about his adventures in that car were priceless. He, his wife, and entire family were elated to hear the car still existed and was restored & well cared for. We exchanged pictures, and he even sent me vintage pictures when he owned the car and the day he bought it. The similarities between his stories and mine were so similar it was eerie.
We wrote each other back & forth for quite some time & became very good friends. Haven't talked to him in a while, though.
And we live on opposite sides of the country.   
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Kern Dog

Bill, that is a nice story to hear. Being a car guy, I can appreciate that. I usually do not want to know from people that have bought cars from me. In most instances, the car is in worse shape and I hate to see that.

Bad B-rad

Well I got in touch with the BROTHER of the nephew, who bought it from the uncle, who owned it and crashed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He seams like a GREAT GUY, and he is looking into it.
He said what he remembers is his uncle hit a telephone pole with it, and always wanted to have it repaired, himself because it had no miles on it.(thats why in storage from about 1982 till 2012) when he sold it to this guys brother!!!!!

Oh man this  is a HUGE step. I hope he comes thru with some more info, or even hooks up the uncle with my number!!!!
This is very, very big to me!!!!!!
Not everyone can get this kind of history!!!
And on a car that was 11 years old when I was born, and wrecked when I was two!!!!
It is a GOOD DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DixieRestoParts

Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia

Bad B-rad

Well the nephew was a man of his word, about an hr ago I got off the phone with the original owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the 2nd owner, I was told he was the first owner, but speaking with him he set me right.
He bought the car just about when he got out of high school from a guy(who's name he gave me) and car only had 2, or 3,000 miles, on it.
He said all the paper work from all service work(oil changes, fuel fill ups) was in a little folder in the glove box when he bought it.
He said car was in mint shape when he bought it.
He used it as an everyday car for a few years, then went to San Fran for a few years, (Left on a motor cycle, car was at brothers house) and at first his buddy would drop by and start it every so often, then it was his sister, then when she could not do it anymore, he came home one weekend  and filled the cylinders with kero, and left it.
When he returned home from 'Frisco(sound like I am in Vanishing Point) He drained the oil, pulled the spark plugs, and fired her right up. He drove it for a bit, and then tagged a tree!!
He continued to drive it like that, with the 1/4 smashed, for approx. one to two years.
Then the car went into storage again.
In 2006 he said his nephew(NOT the kid I spoke with) was on his case to sell him the car, he said he really wanted to drive it and restore it. He said they just watched Vanishing Point on TV and when they were chasing each other, the nephew convinced him to sell it to him so he could fix it up.(I am gonna guess the V.P. remake with Jason Preastley)
SO he let his nephew have it for $500 bucks.
He said he knew it was worth more then that(this is 2006 now remember)but he was doing a family favor, and gave him a bunch of extra parts with it, including the folder with all of the orignial owners service paper work, and his service paper work in it.
And a set of blue bucket seats from his 70 Charger SE(that were in the car when I bought it!!)
So on his way home from work TWO DAYS LATER, he spots the car on a trailer(same trailer he helped his nephew load it on, to take to the shop for resto work) bound for San Berdino CA. And the Nephew sold it for $9,600.00 BUCKS.

He expressed some anger, and hurt over that, and said he really could have used the cash, at the time but was trying to help the kid out, and the nephew had no intention of ever restoring it, it was just a quick flip.

So, when he sold the car to his nephew,in his words, the car looked to be in good/vr good shape,besides the 1/4 panel smash, paint was good, still has the vinyl top, and orignial green seats, and carpet, inside was nice
The guy I bought it from said he never did anything with it, but when I got it, the carpet was gone, and the top was gone, and it had the blue seats in it.

So funny story, I found the build sheet in  the 70 seats for the blue Charger 383 4Bbl auto SE car, they came from, so it was funny to hear him describe the car the seats came from, like two days after I decoded the build sheet!!!!LOL.
I got lucky and also found my cars build sheet in the rear seat back.

So I got a lot of info from him, and parts of what I was told were right on, and other parts were not so right on.
I will be the third guy to have the car on the road, and he got it in 77/78.

He was a great guy to talk to, VERY happy to hear about the car still is around, very surprised I gave a crap about where the car came from, and he was surprised to hear i wanted to talk to him about it.
It was 100% different then when I called the guys brother, and got hung up on!!!!

I am a bit hard of hearing myself, and we chatted for 35-45 MIN, I didnt get to ask all the questions I wanted to, and may have had a hard time hearing some things, but he gave me his address to send him a photo of the car, when I get it done.
(would be bad ass to plan a trip across the USA to return the car to CA and give him a ride in it, maybe find the tree that wrecked the 1/4 panel, and piss on it!!, (that wil show the tree who the boss is,LOL)
So I will be calling him again. And I can now search for the man he said he bought it from, LOL!!!
He said he is not sure if that guy is still alive, but I at least made it this far.
And I got some of the cars history. Maybe I should drive to CA, and film it and cut some of that tree down to keep in the trunk(get it, tree/trunk!!!) for car showes,LOL!!!!!

Very good day, So glad I didnt give up!
So gladd he was nothing like his brother who hung up on me!!!!

Side note someone in the family told me the guy I called first, who hung up on me was an @$$hole, their words not mine!!!!!!!!!

tan top

wow good story , thanks for sharing , great stuff when you can find your chargers / cars history  :yesnod:

:cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Kern Dog

That is cool, man. Glad to hear that it panned out.
I'd be pissed at the jerkoff that begged to buy it, only to sell it later for almost 10 times the amount. If the ungrateful prick were to share the money with the Uncle it would have made it better but it still looks like deception. I hate people like that. You don't have to lie to make it in this world. He burned a bridge and will certainly encounter some problem or another in the future due to this Karma.

Bad B-rad

OH yeah, Kern Dog you are right on 100%.
The nephew has passed away, and it has been 11 years, but you could tell in his voice he was hurt, by the trick played on him. I mean two feaking days later!!!
TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The uncle doesn't know me, but as the time went on he opened up about it a bit, and I know how bad that must suck.
I even said to him would be different if the nephew went to the uncle and said I got a great offer I could not pass up, here is four grand. Nope, NOT A PENNEY.

I felt bad for the guy, but Not much can be done about it now.

I am just stoked.
and I wish that paper work had made it to me, (would help prove the mileage)along with the original seats.
Took me a year to find a set of 69 seats, and they need a recover, and foam!!

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Kern Dog

At first, I was indifferent about the prospect of contact with a prior owner. Your story turned out great and I'm glad for you.
Score!  :2thumbs:

Bad B-rad

Thanks, I am glad I got to know some of the cars history.
It isn't a super great, exciting story, but it is my cars story, and maybe one day, in 60 years some dude will know the story, and add my ownership to the mix!
I will be the cool dude who restored and saved the car!!!

TPR

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

DixieRestoParts

Great to hear you spoke with the original owner. I wonder if the uncle who was such a jerk was the dad of the nephew who flipped it?

I think it might be a cool idea to send the original owner pics of the as it is car now along with you beside it, and a brief description of your plans for the car. Send him pics of it as you progress in the restoration. Did he have any pics from when he owned the car? Would be cool to get those. The original owner sounds like a good dude and I think he may appreciate that.

After it's done, a road trip is an awesome idea!! If the original owner is up for a visit, nice thing to record on the way for posterity for your own family.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia

AKcharger

Smart move bad b rad, You did your part...let it go.

For the '70 I went back through 3 owners up in Alaska, they were nice. I have the title records/ names of all owners going back to original purchase in Tucson AZ, but lost interest. I have original sales documents for the '72 but didn't pursue it.

Bad B-rad

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on March 25, 2018, 10:27:58 AM
Great to hear you spoke with the original owner. I wonder if the uncle who was such a jerk was the dad of the nephew who flipped it?

I think it might be a cool idea to send the original owner pics of the as it is car now along with you beside it, and a brief description of your plans for the car. Send him pics of it as you progress in the restoration. Did he have any pics from when he owned the car? Would be cool to get those. The original owner sounds like a good dude and I think he may appreciate that.

After it's done, a road trip is an awesome idea!! If the original owner is up for a visit, nice thing to record on the way for posterity for your own family.

When I made the call, I grabbed a note book to take notes and write stuff down on, and due to the bad reception, my bad hearing(due to work and loud rock and roll music!!) and my general excitement, I didn't get to ask all the question I wanted to, and I don't want to bug him with another phone call so soon.
I think I will send him a letter and photo and ask a bit more info.
But besides the lack of vinyl top, and lack of  carpet, and front seat swap car seams to be in same shape as he had it in.
The guy I bought it from, is the one who bought it from the nephew, and I know he had it for 9 or 10 years.
He was NOT mechanicl inclinded, and he had the car inside for a few years, then it sat outside, for the rest of the time.
I am going to guess that is when the sun killed the top, and carpet, and also dried the door panels out. But he told me he did nothing with the car, he planned on having it restored, but it never happened. I think, he was more into having a possible General Lee clone, then owning a Charger, and that was just based on his total lack of any Mopar specific knowledge.

I def want to ask for some photos of the car when he owned it, and I am fairly sure he will help if he has them, he is definitely  a car guy(not a 100% Mopar guy, but a car guy) He talks of visiting the drag strip with his blue 70 Charger SE, and said the 69 was his everyday car the 70 was his race car, had it up to 137MPH, or 147MPH.

I would like to ask about what rims it wore when he let it go(it arrived with a pair of 15 inch Cragar style wheels with MAG type lug nuts, one Magnum 500, and one steel wheel from like minivan.

I would also like to ask about the "CARKITT"(something like that) decal under the hood, it sayes something to the effect that the car has some CA, type emmission tuning, and to not mess with distributer, of carb.

He was a great dude, couldn't ask for a more helpful guy.
And I even think it must be a little tough, because he held on to it for SO LONG, only to basicly give it to his nephew, who sold it two days later, and made a mint.
That must be hard to keep reliving.
But he was great with me.
I doubt that I will have the free time or money to finish the car, and take a 2,935 mile (42HR) trip with it,to take him for a ride, maybe lunch, and then take the 2,935mile trip back home.
I would love to do so, would be so freaking cool, and would be what a big part of our hobby is about, enjoying the history and
driving these cars, and doing so with other like minded people.
Would be an awsome trip, I have traveled a TON in my life, but Tulsa is as far west as I have ever been.
(unless someone with deep pockets and a camera would like to fund the project and film it!!? Maybe a new segment for GYC, called Restore and Reunite??!!  Come on Mark Worman, send Royal to ride shotgun, and we can act out when he tagged the tree, like the crash with the ford truck and the phantom Cuda)

So I will at least follow up with a nice letter and photo, and include a SASE and maybe a gift card for dinner, I am sending one to the nephew who put us in touch, for his help!!!
I will hopefully get some more info, and maybe photos, but the letter will allow me to at least take my time with the questions, so I dont forget in the heat of the moment, and I can get his written account of the mileage.

Kern Dog

The decals under the hood may have been the mid 1980s era first attempt to reduce smog in the more populated California regions. I don't know all of the details but I recall the decals being in construction yellow with dashed lines, the word NOX was visible somewhere....The kits were designed to be fitted to pre 1975 cars (Built without catalytic converters) to reduce Hydrocarbons and Nitrogen Oxide (NOX) emissions. Some of the kits used a vapor recovery system, an ignition timing reduction and maybe even a reduced jet size for the carburetor. My 69 Dart (First car) had this CAR KITT style sickers underhood and on the inside of the windshield. My 70 Charger had one under the hood. I now wish that I had taken pictures. It is strange how the insignificant things become important later, like the parts we gave away or threw out that people really want now!

Bad B-rad

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 25, 2018, 11:58:33 AM
The decals under the hood may have been the mid 1980s era first attempt to reduce smog in the more populated California regions. I don't know all of the details but I recall the decals being in construction yellow with dashed lines, the word NOX was visible somewhere....The kits were designed to be fitted to pre 1975 cars (Built without catalytic converters) to reduce Hydrocarbons and Nitrogen Oxide (NOX) emissions. Some of the kits used a vapor recovery system, an ignition timing reduction and maybe even a reduced jet size for the carburetor. My 69 Dart (First car) had this CAR KITT style sickers underhood and on the inside of the windshield. My 70 Charger had one under the hood. I now wish that I had taken pictures. It is strange how the insignificant things become important later, like the parts we gave away or threw out that people really want now!

Sweet, Kern Dog, your the first guy who ever knew what I was talking about.
The sticker looks exactly  like  you said, only my dashed lines are red(or faded orange).
I took a few photos of it, but they came out fuzzy, I will have to use my wife's camera with more MP and get a good shot of it.
The car has the stock 383 Holley carb (list 4440) but jets could have been changed.
It also had headers on it vs the factory exhaust manifolds.

So is this something California supplied to people with older cars to install, or something California MADE you buy and install?
That's sort of messed up to mandate a change on older cars at expense of car owner.
Like making someone install air bags on car made before they were standard equipment.

I know exactly what you are talking about with tossing out parts no one wanted and could not be given away and now, wish I held on to!!!
I wish I had saved at least 4 steel 15inch Mopar steel rims, for myself, ualong with a bunch of other parts! (front B-body seats for one)

Kern Dog

I started driving in November 82. The retrofit emission kits were on cars before that. I don't know if they were owner or dealer installed but I'd be interested in knowing as well. A California mechanic from the late 70s should know....Anyone like that around here??

tcs69rt

You guys are lucky. There was a similar post on this a few years ago that I replied to. I bought my 69 RT in 1999, while stationed in Vegas from the second owner that bought it from his Uncle. I stored it for 5 years while I was overseas. I was reassigned to North Dakota and contacted the dude stating that it was getting a feature in Mopar Collectors Guide. The guy tells me that his Attorney will be calling stating that since the value of the car has increased, I now owe him an additional 25 grand or to return the Charger to him! This was in 2006. I told him "Good Luck" getting thru the front gate of the base attempting to take the Charger away from me. It was not the response I expected. Never did get that phone call.  :smilielol:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Bad B-rad

WOW WTF!!!!!!!

What planet can you get paid retroactively from a completed sale once the item goes up in value, years later???

I think the legal term for that rule comes from the ancient Latin " Finders, keepers, losers, weepers!"   

If that be the case a lot of former Hemi owners are gonna be happy.
I also think my dad had sold like ten 1952 toppes Mickey Mantle rookie cards in 1954 for 5cents, I wouldnt hold my breath to get that cash!!
I think we also may have to cut a check to the Native Americans for Manhatten!!!!!

Was that dude always a tool bag?
Or just when he figured oh the car is gonna be in a mag, must be worth 1.5 million?

That sucks,
Sounds like you handled it like a pro!!!!
Nice!

AKcharger

Well that also shows that finding previous owners carries risk.

I would not be at all surprised to call a long lost previous owner, explain you have the car it's beautifully restored then learn it was stolen in 1983 and he is still the legal owner...you just lost you car. I recall a story like this for a 68 camero but cops flagged it when a guy went to register it in 2012 or something. Yup, it was all restored, yes previous owner got it and was thrilled...wait, here it is!

http://fox8.com/2015/10/21/man-gets-car-back-34-years-after-its-stolen-its-absolutely-beautiful/

Bad B-rad

WHAT A bad break!!!!...............or a good break depending on what side your on!!

THAT SUCKS!!!
But is also why I got a title in my name first thing!!!!!

I worked for a guy who bought and restored a 65 Mustang. Drove it for years then sold it.
He got a call from a New York State DMV investigator, almost a year after the sale, the guy who bought it, was just doing some homework, and the title he was given(here in NY its a registration untill1972)by my employer DID NOT MATCH the vin number on the door.
And the vin on the door came back as a stolen car!!!!!!
I asked him how the F do you own a car and drive it for years,AFTER restoring it and NEVER notice the vin on the title doesn't match the car you have!!!!
He said he just never looked.
So basically he, unknowingly took a title and registered and insured a car,(that may not even exist anymore) and put THOSE  plates and reg sticker on a completely different car and drove it around for years!!
Good thing he wasn't involved in a crash!!!!
He said because the vin was on the door frame he never even checked it vs the sticker on the window!!!!

I know he had to buy the car back from the guy he sold it to, AND the New York State troopers took the car!!!!!
He LOST over $12,500, but with help of his lawyer, and recipts he was able to get the rims he sold with the car, and the engine and trans were returned to him,but could not remove any parts off the car.

I THINK the guy who bought it from him, had pulled the engine and trans to install a bigger engine, so they were not in the car at the time the cops impounded everything.
(that and the recipts for the rebuild motor may be why he got those back, I also think the Mustang had no wheels on it when they flatbedded it and took the car)
I know he had to meet with the DMV investigator, the guy who bought the car from him, his lawyer, and the troopers were there, at the shop where the Mustang was being worked on, and they took it that day, like I said no wheels, just yanked it on a flatbed, he said, once the troopers verified the stolen vin on the car, no one could touch it!!!!!

Then him and his lawyer had to go after the guy HE bought it from, and he said that was a dead end because the car was a wreck when he bought it, and guy had no money.
This was in 2015, and I think he bought the car in 2011. The car was stolen in 1982, and the owner who reported it being stolen was no longer alive anymore, and last I heard his family was taking posestion of a mint red 65 Mustang body with Black inside.

My former employer said it sounded like the car was going to a younger (early 20's)man

I never understood why he would not have cracked into the vin to see what the Mustang was orignialy sold as?
I know I knew my Charger was a 4Bbl 383 way before I even paid for it.
Thats like the first thing us Mopar guys do, check to see if it was a Hemi car, or a 440, or 340, or what not.

SO that stuff does happen!!!

More recently the story I have been hearing a LOT OF.
Is the fully restored cars, are stolen, and driven right to a shipping container, and gone.
Shipped to a country never to be see, or recovered again.
Makes me think about getting "the Club", or the brake pedal lock.

Hell I had to "steal" my 66 Charger back from a fraudulent body guy, small section of wire, and a screw driver,LOL.

Derwud

The Previous owner of my car asked for some money for the car since it has gone up in value.. I told my Sister to kiss my ass, and then we laughed.. Car has been registered in my name since 1981...
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Old Moparz

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 11, 2018, 05:54:42 PM

I agree.  :cheers:

As a firm believer of Murphy's Law, I'm willing to bet that if I ever got the bug to track down an original owner it will end badly. I'd probably end up in court having to defend myself because of some messy divorce in 1974 or some whiny son or daughter of the first owner that thinks it should be their car.   :lol:

The only way I'd be interested in talking to the first owner is if they happened to recognize the car & approached me about it. The chances of that happening is pretty slim since 4 of the 5 I have, have been modified & color changed.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BDF

This is interesting reading, thanks for sharing your stories 👍

krops cars

List pictures on Craig's list. There are people out there that know about the car. There are a lot of very helpful as I found out when I was looking for information on my pink Charger. Hell I even got the original dealers invoice out of all the help. I even found the guy that parked it.