News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Issues bleeding rear brakes

Started by CloedFL, February 11, 2018, 05:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CloedFL

Hey all,

Trying to bleed my rear brakes now for several days and getting frustrated more and more..

Installed a new booster & master cylinder and full new brake lines all the way round with the following proportioning valve an my 1970 dodge charger:
http://manage.hawksearch.com/sites/manciniracing/link.aspx?id=cb397bae-d779-4706-ba5a-fa4c15381158&q=http%3A//www.manciniracing.com/intudibl5.html&i=12&pk=intudibl5&mlt=0

Installed front disc & rear drum brakes and already tried the following steps:
(Master cylinder is bleed twice and 100%  sure it has no air remaining)

1. Manual bleeding with one person pressing the pedal in the car and me opening the bleeder screw for a second several times on the rear
==> nothing change, reservoir remained on the same level
2. Bought a air pressure gun which should create the under pressure for bleeding the lines and tried it several times on the passenger rear side
==> nothing happened
3. To exclude any problems on the flex hose / distributor block / rear lines , i used the under pressure gun on the brake line which goes into the flex hose
==> No bleeding effect / no brake fluid to the rear...

Checked the proportioning valve and the tubes which come from the master cylinder and brake fluid is flowing...
(lower right corner & top line on the picture)
Closed left top screw also gives me brake fluid and the same for the top right to the front ...
Loosening the bottom screw also gives me nice brake fluid ...
But: when i dismount the brake line to the rear and use the under pressure gun on the outlet, i cant get brake fluid out ...

For me it seems that the new proportioning valve lets no brake fluid to the rear, what can i do??
Can i reset it somehow or what could be the root cause for that? or what am I doing wront?

BR
Claudio

cdr

there is a button on the valve that needs to be pushed back ,with power brakes it helps to have the car running, & go slow on the pedal so the prop valve does not switch on you & block the rear brakes.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

The "button" is for the front brakes and it needs to be pulled, not pushed.

As far as the "no fluid to the rear", I would loosen the fittings a little starting at the front to see where the stoppage is.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

sixpactogo

I'm guessing you got your proportioning valve from Inline Tubing.  I had the same issue with two of them from Inline. Finally got one from Doctor Differential that works. I have no idea why the Inline Tubing units won't allow any fluid to the rear. I tried their recommendations for correcting the problem to no avail. I have two of their brand new junkers if someone wants them.

70sixpkrt

The Inline Tubing valves are junk. I got mine from DrDiff also.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

John_Kunkel

I have seen some inline RPV's with MC stamped at one end and an arrow pointing away from the stamping; this makes some installers think that the arrow is pointing to the MC end but the arrow merely shows the direction of fluid flow. This confusion causes the RPV to be installed backwards thus blocking flow.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bad88t-top

Great thread as I'm experiencing the same issue with Inline Tube's proportioning valve.   Fluid in but no fluid out to the rears.     Unbelievable, reproduction garbage you pay a ton for.   
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

b5blue

I bought this for my 100% line replacement that included change from drum to disk. A one man alone game changer the pump presses fluid into and out of the MC and down stream to bleeder. No pumping, no tiny vacuum hand pump or gimmicks. I bitched about shelling out 68.00 but honestly I was done before I knew it.
https://www.motiveproducts.com/products/power-bleeders-single-adapter-bleeder-kit-domestic-adapter-bleeder-kits-power-bleeders-single-adapter-bleeder-kit-classic-car-and-marine-kits-power-bleeders-domestic-bleeder-kits-power-bleeders-classic-car-and-marine-kits