News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flip up gas cap......rubber seal/gasket.

Started by Polygon, February 11, 2018, 07:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polygon

I smell raw gas. Now after crawling all under the car (Holly Elec pump and filter, following lines, all that) it looks all DRY. Now, I did notice the original rubber gasket on the flip up cap, needs replaced. I'm thinking maybe it's coming from there. I searched eBay and Classic Ind. know where to get it? Thanks....John

www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

70 sublime

Your lid gasket does not look too bad
You do know that the small tube you can see on your fill pipe from inside the trunk vents all the fumes from the gas tank right inside the left rear frame rail ?
Maybe that is where the smell is coming from
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Polygon

www.lostinspaceforum.com

Lennard

I have never seen a reproduction gas cap gasket. I don't think it is being made.

Edit: I stand corrected.  Link for a reproduction gasket posted by another member below.

JR

I'd bet fuel is leaking out of there.

My original gasket looks in similar condition to that. I discovered mine was leaking after getting red flagged at an autocross. I was told gas was pouring out of the cap during hard cornering, like it had no cap on it at all.

I never found a reproduction gasket, but I did have a spare rubber sending unit gasket from a tanks inc fuel tank. It was about the same diameter. I just RTV'd it to the bottom of the original gasket, and it seals 100% now. It's kind of ugly, but no one will ever see it, and it sealed the fuel tank 100% afterwards. No more leaks.

You could probably buy thick rubber gasket material, trace out the right size, and do the same. I know it doesn't look correct, but no one would ever see it.

Also, to add on to what Sublime said, I would add a three inch or so long piece of fuel tubing to the fuel overflow line. Just enough to fent fuel vapor all the way through the frame rail, instead of letting the Hardline terminate inside the frame. That has to help too.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Polygon

Thank, I will look for that fuel overflow, and get a gasket..make one if I have too. Also ( Light bulb goes on), I have the factory manual, Will look there too.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

charger Downunder

[/quote]

JR

Wow, someone actually is reproducing them. I had no idea. Awesome.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

JB400

Thank you much :cheers:

Please note though, this company is in Australia.