News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to remove the chrome from bumpers?

Started by randy73, February 12, 2018, 01:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Going to paint my bumpers and I need an effective way to remove the chrome, I tried sandpaper and that did not work so well.

BLK 68 R/T

Not sure you can without using the chemical stripping process that a chome shop uses  :shruggy: I await to be informed of other methods  :popcrn:

green69rt

Take it to a chrome shop.   The chemicals used in chrome stripping are not something you want to fool with.
If you insist on doing it yourself....

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Chrome-Plating

randy73

No chrome shops near me, guess I am going to sand them as best I can and then primer and paint them.

alfaitalia

No need to remove it..unless is very pitted or rusting from underneath. As long as it's keyed well and properly primed paint sticks as well to chrome as well as other metals. Done a couple of cars bumpers before and quite a few chrome motorcycle mudguards ..never had an issue with paint adhesion. My 69 will also have bumpers matched to the body...no chrome will be removed.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

PlainfieldCharger

How about a cheap Harbor Freight bucket sand blaster?  :Twocents:

alfaitalia

If you go that route...be careful with using a suitable particle mask. Chromium dust is very nasty stuff indeed and you don't want to breathe it in.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!