News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for Nascar Charger 500 Pictures

Started by Oldtimer, February 14, 2018, 04:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldtimer

Please allow me to re-introduce myself and apologize for the time duration since my last visit, and any imposition this visit might cause.

I am a diecast collector and customizer, and have been involved in several custom Nascar Dodge Chargers.

My most favorite one is a replica of James Hylton's Charger Daytona from the 1969 Texas 500 at College Station, TX.

I met Wendell Scott when he came to Texas World Speedway and I worked as a pump jockey for Union 76 during the Nascar races held there.  In my avatar, that is me, dressed all in white, with my back to the camera.

It is a little known fact that Wendell Scott raced Mopar products a few times during his career, usually when his more likely Ford was down and out.

He drove a Plymouth Roadrunner in eleven races in 1970, entered by Don Robertson's Star City Body Shop.

I have been successful in creating a replica, in 1/18 scale, of that one.

At the Falstaff 400, held at Riverside on June 14, 1970; Scott borrowed a Charger 500 from local racer, George Wiltshire, and raced it.  I am trying to create a replica of this one, as well.

This is the only picture I have ever been able to find.

I am trying to find any information on the Charger 500 raced by George Wiltshire, in order to determine what the background color was, so that our replica can be as accurate as possible.  It would be especially extraordinary if we could find a color picture of the Charger as Scott raced it, in order to determine the colors of the door numbers.

I would appreciate any leads that you might provide, and thank you in advance for your courtesy in allowing me access to your message board.

TruckDriver

Only ones I could find on Facebook were these.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

A383Wing

that's not a C500.....has tunnel rear window

TruckDriver

I realize that, but you never know if they still could help. I searched all the vintage Nascar groups on FB, and those were the only 2 I could find.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Oldtimer

Those are terrific photos!

I cannot thank you enough (although I wish they were in color).   :'(

As to whether it was a 500 or not, I apologize for listing my thread as such, just seemed likely that it might be.

Regardless, my donor model is an 1/18 scale Charger 500, so my replica will be accordingly.

I'll keep searching for the color, though.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Oldtimer

I didn't realize that I last posted on this project over three and a half years ago.  I apologize, but life got in the way, as well as a continuing diligence at searching for more information.

Below is a posting I made to several diecast modeling sites that I frequent.  I apologize for any repetition from what I had previously posted above.

I met Wendell at the inaugural Nascar Winston Cup race that was held on December 7, 1969, at Texas World Speedway in College Station, Texas.

I had been hired by Union 76 to man the fuel pumps and distribute oil and lubricants to the Nascar teams.

I always admired the courage and diligence of Wendell, and have gone on to not only collect a considerable amount of memorabilia, but to also create (or have created) a number of custom 1/18 scale diecast models of the various paint schemes he used during his career.

IMG_4022 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Apparently, Wendell Scott had wrecked his usual Ford at the race immediately prior to the 1970 Falstaff 400, held at Riverside, California on June 14, 1970.

George Wiltshire was a black journeyman Nascar West owner/driver, not noted for much success. He had a 1969 Dodge Charger prepared to Nascar Winston cup regulations. He used either #39 or #139 depending on the venue.

Nascar Hall of Famer Scott, of course, is iconic. He was also a died-in-the-wool Ford associate, with reports of "backdoor" contributions of used parts from the Ford factory teams.

Not sure about the details, but Scott ended up in Wiltshire's Dodge for the race, qualifying 28th, but finishing a dismal 35th when the Hemi in Wiltshire's Dodge overheated.

There are not a lot of pictures of Wiltshire's Charger. I have attached the two that I have been able to find on the Internet. The photo quality is not great, and it is difficult to tell if they are color photos or black and white.

George Wiltshire side by Jim Forte, on Flickr

George Wiltshire roof by Jim Forte, on Flickr

There is also only one picture I have found to document Scott in Wiltshire's Dodge, a picture in a newspaper the day after the race.

WendellScott-Dodge-1-3_zps37127ba4 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

There is some video of the 1970 Falstaff 400 available on YouTube. 

https://youtu.be/LtIlf8SY3Vk

If you look at 0:11, you see a purple Charger with what appears to be a lime green rear bumper on the outside. The outside line was the even-numbered starters for the race (at the start of the video you can see Richard Petty's pole-sitting Plymouth Superbird leading the inside line), so it would be appropriate for Scott to be in that line following the green flag.

Based on the video, I chose Mopar Plumb Crazy as a paint color. To me it made sense that a low budget racer would use a factory paint, especially with Wiltshire carrying Star Dodge as a sponsor. I used SubLime Green for the rear bumper.

My donor model for this is the Paul Goldsmith driven Ray Nichels prepared Dodge Charger 500 distributed by Merchandising Incentives Corporation (MIC). This model was part of the Winged Warrior Series, and appears to be based on an Ertl mold.

Working with a very talented artist and decal maker, Sam Lopez with Three Amigos Decals (3 Amigos Decals), we have been able to produce, to the best of my ability, as close of a factual model of the Charger as humanly possible.

I've attached some comparison shots of the donor and final paint.

IMG_4016 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

IMG_4017 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

IMG_4018 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

The finished model.

IMG_4157 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

IMG_4158 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

IMG_4160 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

IMG_4161 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Enjoy!

aerolith

OMG 'Old Timer' I was just going to post a thread on Aero cars about the 305ci Lunchbox Daytona. :patriot:

What were your 'duties' with the No.6 Daytona, back in the day?

I was going to ask if anyone here was involved with the Dick Brooks car or even saw the Daytona race in 1971?

Well done on all you have achieved in the world of Modelling...

I do own a 69-Charger-500 myself and ex racecar (of some description) probably a 'quarter miler'... :drive:

Cripes, those were the days, I just borrowed a Charger 500 of a mate to race at the weekend... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Oldtimer

Quote from: aerolith on September 22, 2021, 05:18:31 AM
OMG 'Old Timer' I was just going to post a thread on Aero cars about the 305ci Lunchbox Daytona. :patriot:

What were your 'duties' with the No.6 Daytona, back in the day?

I was going to ask if anyone here was involved with the Dick Brooks car or even saw the Daytona race in 1971?

Well done on all you have achieved in the world of Modelling...

I do own a 69-Charger-500 myself and ex racecar (of some description) probably a 'quarter miler'... :drive:

Cripes, those were the days, I just borrowed a Charger 500 of a mate to race at the weekend... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

I wasn't with the #6, I worked part-time for Union 76 whenever there was a race at the speedway.

Here's a slightly larger picture of my avatar.  I'm in all white, with my back turned to the camera.

Me and the #6 - TWS by Jim Forte, on Flickr

aerolith

Sorry Jim, my mistake, I missed the Union 76 part... :slap:

Great story on the Wendell Charger, those were the GREAT days indeed!
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Oldtimer

Quote from: aerolith on September 23, 2021, 06:26:37 AM
Sorry Jim, my mistake, I missed the Union 76 part... :slap:

Great story on the Wendell Charger, those were the GREAT days indeed!

Thanks, I'm really proud of how well it turned out.  My decal guy is a wizard.