News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about Daytona trunk lid.

Started by hotrod98, May 01, 2006, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Does anyone know why the front lip on the Daytona trunk lids are not hemmed over like 99.9% of the other trunk lids in the world?  I don't see the reason for that lip to be turned down at a 90 degree angle like that and left that way.  I may just go ahead and hem mine over against the reinforcement since it will make the trunk lid much stronger.
Just curious.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 01, 2006, 04:51:58 PM
Does anyone know why the front lip on the Daytona trunk lids are not hemmed over like 99.9% of the other trunk lids in the world?  I don't see the reason for that lip to be turned down at a 90 degree angle like that and left that way.  I may just go ahead and hem mine over against the reinforcement since it will make the trunk lid much stronger.
Just curious.

I'm sure it's for quick production... Creative just cut the deck lid and welded the reenforcement support in, off it goes to get painted........... Sure they weren't concerned with cosmetics..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WingaXbert

Just curious.

Larry,
The 90 degree edge offered more control , to match the conours of each rear plug, as their installation varied from crew to crew, at creative: just look at some original cars, and you'll see the variations, .............the "dutchman " panel on a C500/ Daytona  has a varied amount of transition lines, ..............on some 500/Daytonas , 90 degree trunklip (front) you'll see "twist" crimps, made with plyers to help retain the necessary shape required to make the lid conform to the dutchman section...........................if you've ever worked on a sunroof car, the sliding panel has 90 degree "ribs" that perform the same function,.........to help contour the panel to fit the roof profile..............by "crimping/ twisting" the metal edge, it shrunk/convexed the panel

WingaXbert   

hotrod98

Sounds plausible. I'll probably just go ahead and fold the lip over on my trunk lid since no one will ever think that my car's a real daytona anyway.
Thanks

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi68charger

Quote from: WingaXbert on May 01, 2006, 09:34:02 PM
Just curious.

Larry,
The 90 degree edge offered more control , to match the conours of each rear plug, as their installation varied from crew to crew, at creative: just look at some original cars, and you'll see the variations, .............the "dutchman " panel on a C500/ Daytona  has a varied amount of transition lines, ..............on some 500/Daytonas , 90 degree trunklip (front) you'll see "twist" crimps, made with plyers to help retain the necessary shape required to make the lid conform to the dutchman section...........................if you've ever worked on a sunroof car, the sliding panel has 90 degree "ribs" that perform the same function,.........to help contour the panel to fit the roof profile..............by "crimping/ twisting" the metal edge, it shrunk/convexed the panel

WingaXbert   

Wow, that was pretty indepth, love it............

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

BigBlockSam

very in depth, sounds like someone that use to be on the board. even his writing style with all the periods...................... remember.......................he's an expert too. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 02, 2006, 10:43:25 AM
very in depth, sounds like someone that use to be on the board. even his writing style with all the periods...................... remember.......................he's an expert too. Rene

Rene.............you're reading my mind again. How doooooo you do that?  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

hemigeno

Ummm, nope, that's not Dave....   ::)

BigBlockSam

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on May 02, 2006, 12:54:09 PM
Ummm, nope, that's not Dave....   ::)

I was thinking of Dave Patick..........  ???

Troy

Don't think it's Gary or Mike........   again.........   ???
Troy

BigBlockSam

Mike always did the dot thing.................like...................that...................get it.................... :wave:

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

I was going to guess Dayclona too when I saw the way they typed.

HOpefully its Dave Patik, but I don't think so. 90% sure it isn't.

BigBlockSam