News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Grill Restoration

Started by 375instroke, February 17, 2018, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

After reading the sticky, it looks like SEM Titanium Metallic Part #15253 Color Coat, and SEM Trim Black Part #39143, are good matches.  Is the grill ABS?  If so, Sand Free Adhesion Promoter Part #38363 is recommended.  Looks like it is a solvent that melts the plastic so the paint mixes with it and chemically bonds.  If I shoot the silver first, what happens when I spray the Sand Free over it to paint the black?  I would think it would at least start lifting around the edges.  Do I go for complete coverage with the first color, then spray the next over it without using the Sand Free?  I feel that may be the best way to go, but I would want to shoot the black first, then, which would make masking a lot more difficult.  For initial cleaning, I've had great success on plastic and vinyl by washing with trisodium phosphate and water with a Scotch Brite pad.  What do you think?

Dino

Your cleaning solution is fine. Any good degreaser works. I do not use sand free, I use another brand of adhesion promoter. All work fine. After cleaning use your adhesion promoter, then spray the entire grille with SEM plastic primer. Now you can shoot one color, mask, and shoot the other without having to use the adhesion promoter again. I sanded the primer on mine. Doesn't take long.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.