News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

**Emergency Help** Charger Fuel Fill Tube

Started by Crazy Larry, May 01, 2006, 07:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Larry

This just happened today - my gas tube lock for my 1968 Dodge Charger fell down the fuel fill tube and is sitting at the space that angles to the tank.

I have to remove the gas fill tube from the Charger tomorrow in hopes that I can shake it out. I have never removed the fuel tube before and I was wondering is there anything special that I need to remember, or any pitfalls/landmines that I can sidestep in the process?

It looks fairly simple, and I have the tools and some-what nohow to get the job done, so I hope I can get it taken care of tomorrow.

One more question - how does the gas tube connect to the gas tank - I see there is a rubber gasket that slips over the space, but what sealant should I use when reinserting the tube?

Any help in this dilemma would be GREATLY appreciated.

- Ryan

I'll be back later tonight to talk some more, have to go now....

8WHEELER

Do you have a gas lock like this? a Chrysler part? there is no way these can go down the tube.

Anyway I would try one of those extendable magnets that can pick up a 1in wrench, that should be able to get it out of there.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Chryco Psycho

the tube is relatively easy to remove , undo the screws @ the top under the cap & remove the rubber boot in the trunk , some silicone lube wil help twist the tube & pull up it should slide out , check the seal on the tank , if it is rotted or spilt replace it , use some lube while sliding it back in as well
I f you need to remove it 

Crazy Larry

8WHEELER - yes, that is the exact same part, and for some reason, it has dropped down the tube. I also thought that there was no physical way to let that happen but it did. I may be missing a small metal lip or something on the inside rim of the gas tube that was supposed to hold the piece in place. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them here.

I wish a magnet would work in this case, but it would take some fancy work to get the lock up to the top, and while still holding it at the top, insert the key so I could line the metal tabs up and pull out the locking device.

Thank God it's just the rubber boot inside the trunk and the screws/cap on the fender - I'm hoping it will be relatively simple.

Chryco Psycho thanks for the silicone lube advice, I'llmake sure I have it handy. The seal should be fine, since the fuel tank is fairly new and was installed back in 2003, complete with the new seals and such.

Crazy Larry

Well, the lock has been rescued from th gas tube.
Fortunately, I did not have to remove the tube itself and was able to work the lock back to the top, and then reinsert the key and work the device free.

Now, from what it looks like is that the almst 40 years of fueling, the gas tube rim was pushed in and the metal lip that hangs over was pushed in, instead of out, where it would catch the locking device and keep it from fall in.

So I used a screwdriver to bend the soft metal of the gas tube rim back outward - so now the locking device sits in the opening and doesn't fall through. Only problem is that I can't turn the key because the rest of the rim hasn't been bent back into formation yet.

Before I start bending some more - I would like to ask if you guys can take a look at the inner rim of your Charger's fuel fill opening and see if what I'm saying is correct.

I took plenty of pictures but unfortunately could not locate the cable to the camera I was using and will have to get them out tomorrow. I will post them here tomorrow so you can have some visuals of what I am typing here.

Thanks again for your help on this one. Now, I just want to get the gas tube lock to work properly and everything will be good to go.