News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lower ball joints

Started by Draco, February 21, 2018, 07:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco

Hi guy's, I am looking for a good quality lower ball joint. 1700 miles on the car and both are bad. the ones on now I think were from P.S.T. joints. I think that the QA1 lower control arms are changing the angle of the ball
and may be putting different stress on the joint. Any suggestion? The car is street and autocrossed.

JR

My big block car is autocrossed frequently and driven fairly hard, and I've had great luck with Moog ball joints. They are holding up really well for me. I have stock LCAs, though.

What brand of ball joints are installed now?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Draco

I  got them from P.S.T. probably 10 years ago

WHITE AND RED 69

I have gone through a couple sets of Moog upper and lower ball joints on my charger and have not been impressed with the quality. I've also installed them on an older Jeep (stock suspension) and had them fail within a couple thousand miles. I've been switching over to Proforged Suspension products and haven't had any complaints so far but I haven't put very many miles on the car in the last year or so.  

Proforged also has a 1 million mile warranty on their products.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Mike DC

There have been tons of complaints about Moog stuff in the last several years.  

I don't know if they ever got their act back together or not.

Troy

Not Charger stuff but there are tons of recent complaints about the Moog joints for my Toyota trucks. For those, I buy factory (or OEM supplier) ball joints but have been going to Proforged for most everything else in the steering/suspension. Very beefy parts even for a "mini" truck. Not only that, but the overall finish is way better - no burrs on the threads and nearly every surface is painted or coated in some way. Bare metal parts last about a week around here.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Draco

So I ordered the Proforged joints from Summit. We will see what happens. Thanks for the info guy's. :2thumbs:

JR

I guess I've been lucky with my Moog ball joints. I had no idea they were having quality issues. Good to know.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

johnnycharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 21, 2018, 03:38:43 PM

There have been tons of complaints about Moog stuff in the last several years.  

I don't know if they ever got their act back together or not.

Well-now I am rethinking the new Moog lower ball joints sitting in my garage.. 

Kern Dog

Back in 2002, I bought a "front end rebuild kit" from one of the three big companies that advertised in the Mopar magazines. I ordered a urethane kit but opted for rubber lower control arm bushings based on advice I read in magazines, The LBJs could have been MOOG, I'm not sure. Mine are still fine, whatever they are. I did have to replace the LCA bushings because I made a idiot mistake and tightened up the LCA pins with the car on jackstands. I found out about 2 years afterwards that they are supposed to be left loose and then tightened with the car resting on the tires!
Since then, I switched to the MOOG K 7103 offset UCA bushings. The strut rod bushings are from the original kit, as are the upper and lower ball joints.

c00nhunterjoe

Thats because moog is now owned by carl ichan.

Mytur Binsdirti

c00nhunterjoe

The govt is stupid letting him create his monopoly. And he is 100% open about his plans. He is going to bankrupt and close the automotive industry from top to bottom and force you to use him for everything. He now owns the major parts manufacturers,  distributors, freight transport, and is now gathering up parts store chains and repair chains. Also buying up car rentals.He has openly said he plans to own the entire market and will raise prices on all shops that are not owned by him to force them out of business, then you will be forced to go to "icahn auto" or whatever name it becomes, to get your parts, service and repairs..... dont beleive me? Look him up. Its already happening in my state. He bought out the major parts warehouse here and he owns moog, anco, wagner and a few other major brands. He has banned the sale of those products to our other parts supplier and the prices are headed up..... unless you are the repair shops in the area that he owns of course....

Mike DC

QuoteThe govt is stupid letting him create his monopoly.

That's corruption.  Nothing stupid about it.