News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona wings/noses, best 'bang for your buck'?

Started by aerolith, February 23, 2018, 04:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerolith

Hi Aero's,

Looking to build a Daytona clone and was wondering who does the best wing nose/combo?

Thanx from Aerolite
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

daytonalo

farm966

Fiberglass, I would try Stinger out of Florida.

daytonalo

Hey farm , he did say best ............. I had that kit and I swear a few dyslectic chimps with runny bowel issues could have done better  

Aero426

Quote from: farm966 on February 24, 2018, 08:55:31 AM
Fiberglass, I would try Stinger out of Florida.

I thought Stinger and Showcars were ones to avoid. 

A383Wing

definitely stay away from Showcars out of Canada

hemi68charger

The best glass in the business is Ted Janak's.. The econo-line is just that.. He has his regular product line that are pretty good.. Now, as with anything, there may be adjustments to this or that which needs to be done...

http://www.wingedwarriorbodyparts.com
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

farm966

Definitely avoid Showcars, ask me how I know. I purchased my 'bird clone nose, wing and a few other items from north of the border from him, when I did finally receive it, my body guy was not very amused. I had to pay my body guy to rework every piece.

aerolith

Thanx Farmer,
I was gonna buy some fenders from them there guys, I'm not sure I want to now? :slap:

Plastic is the way forwards for a clone, as the real stuff is MENTAL MONEY!

Any unwanted (cheap/free) plastic Daytona pieces gratefully accepted... :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Whats a ''runny bowl' daytonalo?

I googled it and this is what i got, I'm even more confused now!
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

kevs1969daytona

I picked up some stinger parts few weeks back, very easy to work with.  There was one guy I forget his name but he knew all about the daytona clone stuff, talked about vega plug.  He even threw in some grill for the nose cone inset for free, although it's not correct, but giving him a A for effort.

aerolith

Nive one Kev!

''One man's meat is another man's poison'' as they say.

All plastic needs 'shedloads' of finishing, it all depends on 'standards'... :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

kevs1969daytona

I have no idea what that meant but it was awesome  :o

farm966

My dealings with Showcars was over 6 years ago so a lot of the pain has been forgotten, but what was supposed to be 6 weeks turned into 6 months and I am not exaggerating. When I picked it up from the local truck terminal the guy there told me it looks like the guy just laid the box over on the ground and rolled it down the floor to put the plastic around it instead of wrapping the plastic around a stationary box. I had to beg and then threaten to get Showcars to send me parts. I heard a sad story of needing more money to finish the job or it wouldnt be completed, it was horrible. I will be glad to put my name to this, it is a true story. I dont want anyone else to go through what I did. David Swift, Ocala Fl.

70 sublime

Quote from: farm966 on February 27, 2018, 09:43:21 AM
My dealings with Showcars was over 6 years ago so a lot of the pain has been forgotten, but what was supposed to be 6 weeks turned into 6 months and I am not exaggerating. When I picked it up from the local truck terminal the guy there told me it looks like the guy just laid the box over on the ground and rolled it down the floor to put the plastic around it instead of wrapping the plastic around a stationary box. I had to beg and then threaten to get Showcars to send me parts. I heard a sad story of needing more money to finish the job or it wouldnt be completed, it was horrible. I will be glad to put my name to this, it is a true story. I dont want anyone else to go through what I did. David Swift, Ocala Fl.

Was their anything wrong with the parts or just the frustration in getting them ?
They are only about an hour away for me so it would not be a big deal to knock on their door and see what was going on if I were to look into a nose cone for myself
Shipping from anyplace adds lots to the price and if I go south of boarder the exchange rate is around $1.26 Canadian for every US $1.00 plus I get nailed with duty
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

6pkrtse

I just ordered AAR/Stinger Fiberglass shaker parts for my 70' Challenger & all of the parts showed up in about a week & look great, no complaints about their products from me. Unfortunately, I have to cut them all up to make them all fit my tunnel ram & dual dominator carbs.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

aerolith

Good and Bad in every walk of life!

I would always go steel myself but steel Daytona parts are dearer than Krypton and rarer than unobtanium... :slap:

Just watched Superman versus Batman, I'm sticking to fixing old cars methinks, CGI is for young Folks, who can follow the plot, :scratchchin:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

farm966

Quote from: 70 sublime on February 27, 2018, 09:54:29 AM
Quote from: farm966 on February 27, 2018, 09:43:21 AM

Was their anything wrong with the parts or just the frustration in getting them ?
They are only about an hour away for me so it would not be a big deal to knock on their door and see what was going on if I were to look into a nose cone for myself
Shipping from anyplace adds lots to the price and if I go south of boarder the exchange rate is around $1.26 Canadian for every US $1.00 plus I get nailed with duty

The wing still has a bow across the middle, my body guy, who is very good with fiberglass spent many, many, many hours working on every single piece I received to get them in usable condition. I realize every kit will require some work, but while I thought I was saving a few bucks turned into a huge freaking disaster. I have the Stinger Kit now for my Daytona clone and I can tell you the difference is huge. If you are close to ShowCars and you think you can stay on top of him and make him fix any issues, then maybe, but I wouldn't do business with him again and I would recommend against it for everyone. It was a horrible experience, I do not like being lied to, repeatedly.

wingcar

I also ordered parts from "Showcars" over twenty years ago when they were the only ones offering Daytona/Superbird parts, long before Janak started selling wingcar parts.  I order the following for my Daytona build:  Nose, Valance Panel, Latch Tray, Headlight Doors & Pivot Brackets, as well as Wing Braces & Frame Z bracket Brackets (both these in Metal).  What I received from Showcars was not Daytona but Superbird parts.  When I called the guy on the phone said he thought they were one and the same!  Anyway, to their credit they did take back the valance Panel and Headlight Assemblies with out a problem.  I decided to keep the rest and modify them for the Daytona.  The Wing Braces and Frame Z brackets were very nice, the nose was "heavy", but had no mounting points for the Z Panels or Headlight Buckets, and the Headlight Assemblies were pure junk and unusable, and I told them so. 

I would avoid these guys as Janak and Stinger both offer a much better product.  (Just my two Cents   :Twocents: )
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Arigmaster

Yes... Avoid Showcars out of Canada... Got my Daytona wing from them and it sagged in the middle. Tons of extra work just to make the uprights stomach-able. I didn't have any problems with the pieces from Stinger... Got my 6 pack hood scoop and fender scoops there and only needed to tweak one of the scoops. Overall they had good glass pieces.

aerolith

Nice replies Guys!

I will probably wait for some disgruntled daycloner builder to put their 'krap-kit' up for grabs and I can get a good deal.

Been offered a Birdie kit and its a great price, but it ain't a Daycloner... :shruggy:

Yep I'm a Plymouth guy through and through, BUT the C500-Daytona era is the 'top of the tree' for me... :2thumbs:

This is the look I want, Dirty-JON!

Once you start fitting 'SHINY' parts its the 'ROAD TO HELL'. Chris Rea

IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

daytonalo

If I can acquire a Janak Daytona wing , headlight doors and buckets I will use my 35 years exp in fiberglass in and around the boat building world to make my own two piece mold and lay these up with Vinylester  . His nose is nice  but not sure its worth the torture I hear all the time from wing car builders . Also he  really wants you to buy entire kit  in which if you know what your doing you will throw all but nose assembly in dumpster .Also I will be able to make Daytona nose year round in heated shop 

Old Moparz

Quote from: wingcar on February 27, 2018, 05:01:45 PM

I also ordered parts from "Showcars" over twenty years ago when they were the only ones offering Daytona/Superbird parts, long before Janak started selling wingcar parts. 

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that Janak had been doing this the longest. For some reason I seem to recall his Hemmings ads as far back as the 1980's.

Quote from: wingcar on February 27, 2018, 05:01:45 PM
I would avoid these guys as Janak and Stinger both offer a much better product.  (Just my two Cents   :Twocents: )

This is true, Showcars is far from a professional outfit. Their website was a disaster & it even had a huge "HELP WANTED" message in bold letters at the top of the page.  :lol:

I first saw an ebay ad from them for a Daytona nose cone around 2000 or 2001 that looked crude & unfinished. It was less than $500 so I sent questions, including "Can I come see it in person & inspect it?" but never got a reply until after the auction ended. He gave me his phone number so I called him. After talking & getting a few more red flags, including being asked if I knew anyone looking for a job, I decided that I'd be better off making a nose out of scrap wood & my wife's tupperware before I ever get screwed by this place. ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

A383Wing

I got my Daytona parts from Janak back in the mid 90's.....quality was not great, I had to rework every piece, and the lower valance came to me damaged with the wing upright studs poked through the valance....

Janak's reply to the damaged part was "sorry", and that was it...obviously the insurance that I paid him was just extra profit for his pocket

held1823

i'm resigned to the fact i will have to go with a glass nose on mine. with all the horror stories out there, including on what i thought were the "premium" parts, i'm not even sure who i'd want to obtain one from.

mike,  when do you next plan to run any daytona stuff? i've long thought yours to be the best option, but know you are usually on to other projects.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

rob-dirt

If anyone is interested I have a complete Fiberglass nose setup from Ted Janick it's one of his early noses made right good quality long before the economy mid-grade and Factory equivalent it was made when he only made one grade and it was the best one out there then I have the nose pivot brackets headlight doors z bar brackets buckets and front spoiler everything you need i was going to use it on my car but i changed my mind and bought a steel one PM me if interested

held1823

i'm headed to bed, rob, but could you email me details and possibly photos?

pm sent with contact info
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

XS29L9B2

Yess ted janak has a very good part , i have this its awesome parts
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

superbirdrag

Hey Aerolith,
Do you have you answer yet ? I have Ted janeks high quality superbird version and his cheap line daytona version .I bought the daytona stuff from him last fall. The bird stuff in 1999. There is a big difference in the quality and thickness of his work .If your making a fun driver I would go with Stingers whole kit because Ted cheaps out on his cheaper product line really nicely and stinger doesnot. I could not even buy the extra parts from Ted to upgrade the crap parts because the few parts were the same cost as the hole cheaper line kit . I bought them from stinger.

If you want a high dollar resto definitely buy his expensive parts they are well worth the money in quality. Remember no matter who's parts you buy they will all need to be worked over on your car.

superbirdrag