News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why does school bus exhaust always smell so darn bad?

Started by lloyd3, February 24, 2018, 01:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Every time I get stuck behind one in traffic, I would know there was a bus in front of me even if I was blind. What gives? They all smell about the same; like a badly set carburetor adjusted way too lean. Is it some sort of a safety or environmental thing?

ralley72

Could be they're using that Biofuel? :shruggy:
They smell bad here too sometimes.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

alfaitalia

Petrol (gas!) powered buses?...really? I bet their isnt a petrol bus in the UK...all diesel...most now are very low emissions....no black smoke these days!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 24, 2018, 04:22:34 PM
Petrol (gas!) powered buses?...really? I bet their isnt a petrol bus in the UK...all diesel...most now are very low emissions....no black smoke these days!

He never said that. He said it smelled like it.
All Buses in the USA have to use Diesel or Natural Gas.  No gas engines allowed.

Fred

MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE IT'S COMING OUT OF THE REAR ORIFICE!     :icon_smile_big:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

lloyd3

Some orifii smell a bit worse than others.  If school buss systems use CNG or another fuel, that might explain it. 

Ponch ®

on a related note, how cool were those 50s vintage buses? Im old enough (mid 30's) that I got to ride them on and off up until I got my drivers license in the 10th grade. Kinda sad that I see them less and less (at least here in L.A.) as they are being replaced by newer, cleaner buses.  :rotz:

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Ponch ® on February 26, 2018, 04:55:04 PM
on a related note, how cool were those 50s vintage buses? Im old enough (mid 30's) that I got to ride them on and off up until I got my drivers license in the 10th grade. Kinda sad that I see them less and less (at least here in L.A.) as they are being replaced by newer, cleaner buses.  :rotz:

If your in your 30's, you never rode on in a 50's (80 Y/0 bus)

smithenhiven

If theyre newer diesel busses that youre smelling, it could have been the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid).  Not exactly sure how or why its used, but I was told it's somehow mixed in with the exhaust (to reduce emissions?), and the resulting smell is something like high ammonia cat piss.  I guess one of the main active ingredients in DEF is Urea, a synthetic urine basically.

alfaitalia

Yes...it's called Adblue ...well it is over here.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Ponch ®

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 27, 2018, 04:23:44 AM
Quote from: Ponch ® on February 26, 2018, 04:55:04 PM
on a related note, how cool were those 50s vintage buses? Im old enough (mid 30's) that I got to ride them on and off up until I got my drivers license in the 10th grade. Kinda sad that I see them less and less (at least here in L.A.) as they are being replaced by newer, cleaner buses.  :rotz:

If your in your 30's, you never rode on in a 50's (80 Y/0 bus)

well, my bus riding years were in the early to mid 90's, so they were still using a lot of those 50's style buses. They may have been newer, but if so its because the basic design didnt change much for decades.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

draftingmonkey

Smells bad because they are running on the left over school lunch :puke:.