News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B Body trailer hitch

Started by F8-4life, February 25, 2018, 11:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F8-4life

Just bought this trailer hitch for my 69 roadrunner.
It was on a 69 coronet and mounts to the frame.
It is a production made hitch but could be aftermarket or chrysler...
Anybody know if this is a factory mopar unit?

70 sublime

It looks something like the one I have laying around that I took off a Charger
Except yours looks like it has a square hole for the receiver with the ball to slide into where I think mine just had a tongue with a hole to bolt the ball on with 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

fizz

I don't remember ever seeing a receiver hitch back in the day. Where they even available?

warmpancakes

i have worked in the trailer hitch industry for 10plus years  the old company (Valley)  had all the test photos from back in the day.
cudas, chargers,   superbird,   its a shame all the photos when in the trash when they shutdown

F8-4life

More pics

Alaskan_TA

There were not any available form the factory, even on the trailer towing package cars.

They were available via the aftermarket though.

The vintage ones I have seen have a flat plate mount for a ball though.

F8-4life

Update,

I received the hitch and it is a factory unit although aftermarket.
It is stamped "draw-tite" "belleville, MI"
It is also stamped "68 coronet" with a updated "69" stamped next to the coronet.
Pretty cool, now I can tow a mopar with a mopar!

oldcarnut

I have a couple of those laying in the yard behind the garage.  I'll get a pic.  A little different style from each other but removed from a couple b-bodies.  I can check for mfg stampings.

F8-4life

Cool, these are good to tow a car trailer ya think?

70 sublime

Quote from: F8-4life on March 10, 2018, 12:45:51 AM
Cool, these are good to tow a car trailer ya think?

Only thing would be is how good the frame of your car is that you are bolting the hitch frame to
Another thing is that it is all very close to the gas tank if anything should happen
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

F8-4life

Polygon

I got one in the back yard, came off a 73 Challenger.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

oldcarnut

I forgot about posting my pic

Alaskan_TA

Can you get measurements on the frame mounting hole placement please? I am looking for two if they will fit.

ACUDANUT

What are going to do about slowing the load down, that you are pulling it with....  I wrecked both my 73 Charger that was pulling, and a 70 Charger that was on a car dolly. This was back in 1986 in So Cali.  BAD IDEA... I killed 2 Chargers in 2 seconds. Lost thousands.
Traffic back then, is the same today.   75 MPH one second, than boom its 5 mph bumper to bumper.

elacruze

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 19, 2018, 10:39:46 AM
What are going to do about slowing the load down, that you are pulling it with....  I wrecked both my 73 Charger that was pulling, and a 70 Charger that was on a car dolly. This was back in 1986 in So Cali.  BAD IDEA... I killed 2 Chargers in 2 seconds. Lost thousands.
Traffic back then, is the same today.   75 MPH one second, than boom its 5 mph bumper to bumper.

Towing rule #1

If it weighs more than 80% of the tow vehicle, don't even hook it up.

I'm from Belleville, Michigan. Draw-Tite was started by Steve Gray, funded by my Grandfather.

Gramps loaned him the money but didn't want to be a partner, said he'd probably fail but if he did don't worry about the loan. :/

Who's willing to part with a hitch for my '68? I have a single-rail MC trailer I've thought about touring with.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

69bronzeT5

That hitch looks a lot better than the one that's welded to the rear frame rails on my '70 Coronet.  :lol: I got an aftermarket plug and everything that was spliced into the rear light harness. Pretty crafty for sure.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

billssuperbird

A hitch for a 70 roadrunner with duel exhaust. What does it look like.  :shruggy:

Todd Wilson

My dad pulled a uhaul trailer for his job back in the 70's with his 72 Charger. It was not a receiver type hitch.
Picture below of it.............

Todd

oldcarnut

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on May 19, 2018, 09:29:31 AM
Can you get measurements on the frame mounting hole placement please? I am looking for two if they will fit.
Sorry for the late post.  I've been engulfed in home repair trying to flip a house

oldcarnut

Rear mount

oldcarnut

If you need more let me know

42TIM

Quote from: oldcarnut on March 10, 2018, 12:44:13 AM[...] but removed from a couple b-bodies.

Does one of those hitches fit a '72 Charger? And would you ship the item?

Cheers

Tim

6pkrtse

My red 70 has evidence of once have a trailer hitch mounted to it. Besides mounting directly to the bottom of the frame rails it also had two mounting points that went up to the rear bumper on either side of the license plate. The holes are still in my bumper today. Mounted just like the one pictured. I am looking for this style if anyone has one available.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

XH29N0G

Probably put on after buying the car.  The disadvantage was the dents in the trunk.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

ACUDANUT

I have one, I took off my 72 Charger for sale. 50 bucks !!