News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there any reason why you can't use JB Weld on pinholes?

Started by bull, May 05, 2006, 01:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I was talking to my brother about this tonight and he whipped out his JB Weld to show me all the uses it has, one of them being body repair. So I thought why not use it on pinholes in the trunk and floor? Is there any reason it wouldn't work?

doctorpimp

I don't know, It may be hard to paint over.
POR 15 makes a putty for that sole purpose, just for pinholes etc:
http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/PUTTYFILLERSSEALERS/PORPATCH/tabid/186/Default.aspx
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

4402tuff4u

I'm not sure you get a good adhesion between JB and metal. It works great for plastic since it's an epoxy based material similar to a plastic consistency, i.e they expand and contract to temperatures about the same rate. Epoxy and metal react to temperature changes differently, not quite that similar. I would choose something else made exclusively for metal. :Twocents:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

hotrod98

On our restos, we use JB weld in many areas since it will not shrink later. It's slow to use since it takes several hours to cure and you have to work it differently than regular fillers. We usually grind the areas and then use a polyester top coat to finish it off. Many of the high end shops are using JB weld now. It's great for areas that have been welded and then ground down. Many times if you use polyester fillers in those areas, you will be able to see shrinkage later on. We have not had any problems using it over clean bare steel that has been abraded well.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Drop Top

JB Weld works very well on metal. I used to use it on the farm for quick repairs out in the feild. I have also used it as a filler on a frame that I had Powder Coated. Worked very well there also. I have seen it used by other friends of mine on turn around cars in cases like yours. Yes in worked great. Just make sure you have clean metal before you put it down. It will take a little to sand smooth. 80 grit works good. Then just prime over like any other repaire.

One thing to remember is this. I don't recomend doing it. The people I work for would never stand for this kind of repaire. This is a short cut and you didn't hear this from me.  :angel:

bull

Quote from: Drop Top on May 05, 2006, 09:36:25 AM
JB Weld works very well on metal. I used to use it on the farm for quick repairs out in the feild. I have also used it as a filler on a frame that I had Powder Coated. Worked very well there also. I have seen it used by other friends of mine on turn around cars in cases like yours. Yes in worked great. Just make sure you have clean metal before you put it down. It will take a little to sand smooth. 80 grit works good. Then just prime over like any other repaire.

One thing to remember is this. I don't recomend doing it. The people I work for would never stand for this kind of repaire. This is a short cut and you didn't hear this from me.  :angel:

So what is the correct fix, short of replacing the pans?

Drop Top

You got it. Replacement is always the best. But you have to wheigh the options on what your going to do with the car and just how bad it really is. If there is just a few pin holes and is it going to be a dailly driver. Or is it a rare car and your doing a full out rotisory stile restoration.