News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint for tail light area...?

Started by limey, May 06, 2006, 02:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limey

Hi guys just bought a new Charger..(see general discussion thread..) I don't know if its best to post this here or under electrical...but here goes..
The rear tail linght lenses sit in a kinda plastic bucket like trim.
This piece does not seem to be available as replacement, and on my car has faded quite a bit - noticeably when up close..

I was wondering was the original colour for this, black or dark grey? also what finish? Matt, Satin or Gloss?
Lastly what would you guys recommend for painting on plastic? I was thinking a satin black on top of some plastic primer either airbrushed or straight out of the aerosol.
Any thoughts?
Cheers, Limey.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Silver R/T

for black I used satin black, for silver you can use argent silver
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Doc74

The original color for the light buckets and the tailpanel itself is satin black, also called semi flat. You can just wetsand the panel and buckets with a grit 1000-1200 so it's supersmooth, no need for a primer if the paint is still good and you don't sand trough to much.If the texture changes you'll need a primer.You sure they're plastic? I know my 68 is at this time not much more than a faint memory but I'm pretty sure it's metal.
I'd also check with a good bodyshop, they can fix it for a small price, especially if you take it apart yourself on their parking lot  :icon_smile_big:
It's just that the paints they use are a bit more sturdy that what you get from a can but either way it's an easy and inexpensive job, I sure do hope you'll black out the tailpanel as well but it's your car !