News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 500 With XS Dash Vin and XX on Title?

Started by Mopar John, March 01, 2018, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

I have a friend who has an early 1969 Charger 500 with an XS vin on the dash.
His signed over title has XX on the vin.
He is going to title it in his name soon and is confused on which way to go on the new title?
Should he match the vin on the dash and change the title to XS or leave the title as is with XX?
Comments from other 500 owners with this issue are welcomed.
MJ

aerolith

Thats quite funny John,

Mine is the opposite way around.
Its a Florida title with 'XS' and the block is 'XS', but the vin/tag is XX, go figure???
My C500 built on the last day of C500 production December 19th 1968 and they were still getting it wrong... :slap:

Not yet registered in the UK yet, I'm sure they will play up when I do... :shruggy:
They should all be XX vin/title and can't believe mine is wrong!

AeroJon
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Kowal

Mine has this as well.    XS on fender tag.   XX on VIN plate on the dash.

In North Carolina, where I live, the State Highway Patrol inspects classic cars in order to title a car.   They did mine and told me that in the title application the VIN tag on the dash trumps all other information.    The trooper said that the fender tag was meaningless to him and the State of NC.   So my car is titled as an XX.    

Exact opposite of how Galen wrote the inspection report, he used XS.

'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

hemi68charger

I would go with what the VIN tag on the dash states, not the fender tag............ That's the part of the car that is a Federal offense if altered....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69CoronetRT

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 01, 2018, 02:49:31 PM
I would go with what the VIN tag on the dash states, not the fender tag............ That's the part of the car that is a Federal offense if altered....

Agree. LEOs don't know or care about the XS/XX nuances. They care if the title doesn't match the VIN tag.
Remove all concern for the future. Make them match.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

ws23rt

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 01, 2018, 02:49:31 PM

I also agree.
When I needed a title transfer from Calif. to Or. for my Hemi coronet I needed a LEO to help me.  My issue was the J code for hemi on the car vin did not match the corresponding "V" -??-on the Calif. title.--(what are the odds of that typo?)--It had to be fixed :slap:

All that mattered to the officer that came out to help was the Vin on the dash.

BTW no need to dwell on the XS vs XX for these C500 cars. It is well known that a mix-up happened when they were made. It's just another point of interest that makes them unique.--The vin on the dash speaks for legal/proper ownership.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Kowal on March 01, 2018, 01:37:45 PM
Mine has this as well.    XS on fender tag.   XX on VIN plate on the dash.

In North Carolina, where I live, the State Highway Patrol inspects classic cars in order to title a car.   They did mine and told me that in the title application the VIN tag on the dash trumps all other information.    The trooper said that the fender tag was meaningless to him and the State of NC.   So my car is titled as an XX.    

Exact opposite of how Galen wrote the inspection report, he used XS.

Same thing on mine and on the engine and trans the X ( S ) is stamped over with an  X ..  I bought the car new so it had to be done at the factory.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

aerolith

Production lines work well, but ask someone to take a batch of cars and re-designate them is a full of problems!

Hey Fred ''those R/T's are now gonna be XX's'', WTF does that mean...

Don't know Bert, I just do what I'm told... :slap:

They gave Harry the job to restamp the wrong 'uns.

Wait till Babs in the office does the paperwork, she's a daft as a brush...

You know how it goes... :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623