News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Fender Extension

Started by AZMoparMike, March 03, 2018, 01:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZMoparMike

I have a customer really needing an original driver side fender extension for my Superbird. Do any of you out there have a spare one you can sell so I can get the car in paint? I really don't want to put a fiberglass one on his car.

Thanks for any help!

Redbird

You might want to add that you are willing to pay $750-$1000 for the piece for an original. Otherwise you will be using a repro.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Redbird on March 03, 2018, 12:45:01 PM
You might want to add that you are willing to pay $750-$1000 for the piece for an original. Otherwise you will be using a repro.

Agreed, not much out there for originals, esp in good shape, $750-$1000 is on the conservative side IMHO, chances are a pair is easier to find, but that often puts you in the $2500+ range from what I've seen...  prices can range though, sometimes you find a seller not into the market/hobby?

several vendors have fiberglass repros with varying degrees of lip/mounting finish, or none at all!, so check with your vendor of choice if going fiberglass

My repros were molded off clean undamaged originals, all flanges/mounting surfaces present

nascarxx29

I had 4 nos ones got from frank mitchell.He may have more of them
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

Looks like steel repros would have a market.
Maybe the diamond pieces by the rear glass in cast metal.    :Twocents:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on March 03, 2018, 05:34:15 PM

Neither item is worth the tooling, and a repro will not fetch near the same price as originals, only a dedicated Superbird enthusiast with the connections or deep pockets will invest in these 2 endeavors, IMHO a carefully prepped and detailed fiberglass part is often indiscernible from it's steel counterpart 

Redbird

I thought I recalled a few years ago there was someone making metal reproductions of these?

One of the real challenges of this part is that it was galvanized in a fairly distinctive pattern. Then as I recall, when it was painted from the factory the back side only had overspray. So the galvanizing remains visible on the backside.

For a clone I don't see fiberglass or metal being a big issue.

For an original car kind of hard to make right without an original part.

Frank Mitchell sold a number of these off 30 years ago or so. I had bought a pair. I had them for sale a couple of years ago. People restoring cars that I spoke with always wanted a cut rate deal. I sold mine to someone building a clone.

The math of original parts interests me. There were 2000 or so original cars. Chrysler built (you guess here) maybe 200 extra pieces? Say 75 pieces were used in the early 1970's repairing accident cars. Then that leaves in the neighborhood of 125 pieces. Deduct the pieces hoarded and there are not a lot of original NOS pieces available. There are certainly some pieces from parted out cars out there too.

In an era where Glen ray charges $1100 for a reproduction radiator. Where people want high dollars for regular Road Runner parts (there were 156,000 b-body Plymouths not exactly scarce- plus the b-body Dodges) and the interchange for 1968-1970 parts is there too. I believe original special Superbird/Daytona parts are way underpriced.

FWIW, I'll ad a thought about fender scoops. I generally think Daytona parts sell for more than Superbird parts. However it is a math component too. If there were 500 Daytonas (and 500 500's for some of the parts-back window for example) and Chrysler built 150 extra scoops for each side. Scoops for original cars are available at a certain percentage for restorations. Now if Chrysler built 200 extra scoops for Superbirds, the percentage of available parts per car needing parts goes way down.

Every 440 Daytona owner seems to want 175K for their car. Superbird owners want 150K up. I know no one restoring a car will ever sell it. Someone restoring a metal free car should have no illusions of the challenge.

A383Wing

don't ferget about all the pieces made for the race teams back then....they didn't use street cars with VIN numbers....the panels and sheet metal was supplied by Chrysler and given to the race teams that had these cars....

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 04, 2018, 01:33:56 PM

Neither item is worth the tooling, and a repro will not fetch near the same price as originals, only a dedicated Superbird enthusiast with the connections or deep pockets will invest in these 2 endeavors, IMHO a carefully prepped and detailed fiberglass part is often indiscernible from it's steel counterpart 

But it's still not metal.  Tap it and hear the difference.   I've seen folks do that at car shows!!  (when the owner was gone, of course!)   

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on March 04, 2018, 05:06:57 PM

But it's still not metal.  Tap it and hear the difference.   I've seen folks do that at car shows!!  (when the owner was gone, of course!)   

I've had that done to my car at shows, right in front of me, the "tapping experts" will tell me my nose is glass and the fenders steel, "they can tell"...so they think, then I tell them the fenders are glass as well, then the more detail looking takes place, I've detailed the nose and fenders inside and out so that no visible sign of "glass" is evident...

I've even had a few "tappers" say my nose was "potmetal" and the fenders steel,because they could "hear the difference"....

And I've had the one's that study my car top to bottom, thinking I'm pulling their leg that the nose and fenders are "glass"....

I've even had a few tell me my STEEL rear wing is glass, because they can tell by the "tapping"....lol!

DoubleDlover

Hi there. How does one get ahold of this frank mitchel guy? Id like to see if he has a drivers ext. I need one. nasscar your inbox is stuffed...

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 04, 2018, 06:34:11 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on March 04, 2018, 05:06:57 PM

I've had that done to my car at shows, right in front of me, the "tapping experts" will tell me my nose is glass and the fenders steel, "they can tell"...so they think, then I tell them the fenders are glass as well, then the more detail looking takes place, I've detailed the nose and fenders inside and out so that no visible sign of "glass" is evident...

I've even had a few "tappers" say my nose was "potmetal" and the fenders steel,because they could "hear the difference"....

And I've had the one's that study my car top to bottom, thinking I'm pulling their leg that the nose and fenders are "glass"....

I've even had a few tell me my STEEL rear wing is glass, because they can tell by the "tapping"....lol!

Did you tell them it doesn't matter what they think, since your car is a clone of a clone?   :lol:

69bfan

Frank Mitchell passed away three years ago.  Prior to his passing, Frank had sold the business to Mike Carter.  The business is AMS Obsolete and the phone number is 706-337-4606.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

montana bird

I agree.  I need a set of diamonds. The originals sometimes have the studs broke off the back. I have been watching on ebay but have not seen any in a long time.  There was a guy at one time sand casting them, but got dumped on because he didn't grind the part number off the back.  I wish  I could find a good set so I could start sand casting the part.  I don't believe fiberglass to be accurate enough to mold up for this procedure.  If any body knows of any for sale please shoot me an email.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: montana bird on March 08, 2018, 06:05:52 PM

I don't believe fiberglass to be accurate enough to mold up for this procedure. 

How would fiberglass not be "accurate enough" to mold up?....

montana bird

I feel a person could use fiberglass, but would prefer not to use a copy of a copy for the sand cast procedure. You have to compensate and spray the part for slight shrinkage of compound of aluminum you are using.  Also stud style and location.  If a person is going to spend the time and money, why not nail it as close to possible as the real thing.   :Twocents:   I thought  a guy should be able to buy a set of original diamonds. If they never show up then the fiberglass would be an option. I just don't know enough on the accuracy.

DAY CLONA      Do you feel that the fiberglass diamonds are spot on other then the stud style and size?  If so who's would you choose?

DoubleDlover

Montana> If you got ahold of a real set. Would you actually make them and sell them? There is a market for them in metal for sure.

montana bird

Yes I believe I would.  I was wishing amd would have tackled this.  I had talked to them at sema.  They were talking about rear glass, trim, and possibly rear window plug production.  Weather the rest of that is even in the works any more I don't know. I was hopping the diamonds were next.  I have not checked into all the casting costs yet.  I figured get a quote from a small foundry, If that came back to pricy I have a friend in the aircraft industry that has sand casted small parts. He said he would give me a hand in getting set up.  Always wanted to try it. It would be slower and small runs but might be more cost effective to resale.  I would have small windows for smelting as I only get 4 months of ideal weather in MT

montana bird

Food for thought. What would you see as fair market value on reproduction diamonds?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: montana bird on March 08, 2018, 10:45:42 PM

DAY CLONA      Do you feel that the fiberglass diamonds are spot on other then the stud style and size?  If so who's would you choose?

Of the repros on the market, I've only seen the "bond on" versions, or the ones molded into a fiberglass repro plug, Janaks are "cast" polymer versions, akin to bondo, no mat...

My repros are fiberglass mat with the steel studs molded in place in the original location (I used Troy Hawkes originals to mold off of) I might be a bit biased, but I'd if i had to choose, I'd be using my own product, I can make the triangles anyway the customer wants them, no studs, with studs, screw holes, no screw holes,molded in screw heads, any combination, etc, etc

Mike   

This version the customer wanted studs and molded in screw heads...

montana bird

Day Clona  Those diamonds look very nice. I was unaware that you even produced the diamonds.  I have one of your noses, fender valances, and headlight buckets, but have lost track of your products since you had taken down your website. Do you have a website now?    When I go looking for parts in fiberglass Janeks,  showcars, and stinger always show up in google.  we really need an updated parts supplier on this website. So many parts manufactures have been past on or have fallen between the cracks.  What is the going price on a set of those diamonds with threaded studs and holes drilled?

DoubleDlover

Montana. I think everyone here would be happy to pay 3 to 400 for a pair of nice cast metal ones. And i bet a lot of people with the fiberglass ones would upgrade to those. And guys with original birds would buy a set just to have them incase of something...

hemi68charger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 09, 2018, 07:04:13 PM
... in the original location (I used Troy Hawkes originals to mold off of) ...

I will vouch that Mike used my originals........ Mike has always had an extreme eye for detail...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemi Runner

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 19, 2018, 06:31:46 AM
... in the original location (I used Troy Hawkes originals to mold off of) ...

I will vouch that Mike used my originals........ Mike has always had an extreme eye for detail...........

I have a pair of them. They're very nice.

nascarxx29

Montana bird this your car at Montana dealer

rob-dirt

Quote from: montana bird on March 08, 2018, 10:45:42 PM

Of the repros on the market, I've only seen the "bond on" versions, or the ones molded into a fiberglass repro plug, Janaks are "cast" polymer versions, akin to bondo, no mat...

My repros are fiberglass mat with the steel studs molded in place in the original location (I used Troy Hawkes originals to mold off of) I might be a bit biased, but I'd if i had to choose, I'd be using my own product, I can make the triangles anyway the customer wants them, no studs, with studs, screw holes, no screw holes,molded in screw heads, any combination, etc, etc

Mike   

This version the customer wanted studs and molded in screw heads...

How much are the fiberglass diamonds with studs ? inc shipping _____________ i would like to get a set

montana bird

I am curios also. Mike must be tied up.

montana bird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 19, 2018, 02:54:34 PM

I wish, I  only know of two suberbirds. One was in circle Mt the other in Forsyth MT. Not allot of birds came to MT. NASCAR was two far away to influence sales. So sad because we didn't have a speed limit here.

rob-dirt

Quote from: montana bird on March 22, 2018, 03:03:56 PM
I am curios also. Mike must be tied up.

dose anybody know the new web site ? the one listed dose not work  ?

nascarxx29

Quote from: montana bird on March 23, 2018, 09:21:20 AM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 19, 2018, 02:54:34 PM

https://moparadsandoddities.blogspot.com/2014/04/hi-line-auto-center-of-montana.html

I wish, I  only know of two suberbirds. One was in circle Mt the other in Forsyth MT. Not allot of birds came to MT. NASCAR was two far away to influence sales. So sad because we didn't have a speed limit here.