News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

good project car/truck for father/son project

Started by lloyd3, March 04, 2018, 07:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

It's something I've been pondering for several years and my boy is now finally getting old enough to consider it a bit more seriously. I certainly have my preferences but I was wondering what has worked well for you folks.  I have had good experiences with Ramblers, Mopar stuff (obviously), Ford trucks, even early Jeep stuff.  I'd prefer a straight six motor (or a slant) and probably American made, but I'm open to suggestions.

JB400

mid to late 80's Dodge truck.  Parts are available through LMC.  Drove one as my first drivable vehicle.  I would definitely recommend a truck.  He can haul a lawnmower if needed for extra cash.

Bad B-rad

I am in the same boat, and I wanted to get my son a Mopar car for us to do.(I am doing a 1969 Charger, and he can help,I would love that, but that is DAD,S car!!!!!)
I had found a 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, and I really liked the car, a 400/ 4 Speed , anyway, I think I liked the car more then my son!!!
So ultimately I passed, as It seamed I was way more into getting him the car then he was about getting that car.(Maybe 40 year old cars just aren't cool anymore??????)
I ended up getting him/ us a 1989 Jeep Wrangler.
I have had a few so I know them well, Its a 4.2, auto.(so there is your straight six)It has turned out to be a very good,choice, as he can drive it on the trails behind our house, and get used to operating it, they are very dependable, not to expensive  to  repair/ maintain.
And TONS of parts on the aftermarket to modify the vehicle for his/our likening.
Its still a Mopar, and it seams maybe a better choice then big block 4- speed for a first car for my son!!!!
As he has really started to enjoy this Jeep, and it is getting in into wrenching more then I had thought he would.
Maybe one day he will get into the MOPAR muscle, and we can get that Road Runner (68/69/or 70 HOPEFULLY!!!!)
but for now the Jeep was a great pick!!!

You may also be able to find a nice Duster or Dodge pick up with the leaning tower of power slant six, for your son if a Jeep is not a good fit for you two.
Anyway you go, good luck and, have a good time with your son!!!

BDF

What type of activities/hobbys does your son like? If he's 'outdoorsy' I'd go with a nice older Jeep!
If he like imports/drifting get a rear wheel drive ricer...LOTS of parts & upgrades available for something like these and good to learn on.  :2thumbs:

garner7555

If your son likes trucks, then do some looking at putting a truck body on a crown vic frame.   It's a relatively easy swap and fairly inexpensive as well.  The end result is a truck that drives great and is reliable.    :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

41husk

I have a 1950 Dodge pilot house truck with flat 6.  I would sell reasonable.  where are you located?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

lloyd3

I'm in Denver. I'm actually considering a 1978 Ramcharger at the moment. Saw it the other day while on a short field trip with my boy.  I'm guessing it's a 318 auto, but need to take the next step.  I used to drive these during a short stint with the Federal Government in the early 80s.  Simple but effective, and if properly equipped...it could work.  Big and fairly safe, good visibility, & minimal technology that I might actually understand. Didn't see much rust or signs of abuse. I know the owner, and while he's hard to connect with, he's always good to his stuff (even when they're not being driven any more).  We'll see...

birdsandbees

Don't get carried away with it...   :icon_smile_big: Mine (77) has a 400 x 2 barrel in it. Father in laws was a '78 with a 360 in it.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

lloyd3

That's way-more than I could tackle. I'd be much happier with a Valiant or a Dart but they seem to be hot property these days.  Older trucks are even pretty popular but the early SUVs are mostly unloved. I hope to find a suitable project that teaches some good skills and then provides a fun, practical and useful mode of transport.