News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird rear window metal plug.

Started by Seabeckredneck, November 23, 2017, 06:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabeckredneck

Hi,
I'm still working on a Superbird that I want to run on the salts. So one of the things I still need to find is a metal rear window plug.
Also, if anyone has run the salts, I'm all ears! I have questions but I'm waiting until the 2018 rule books come out. What I am looking for are things like the required roll cage requires how many points? Also, how are folks attaching the roof rails that are required on each side of the roof, etc.
  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
By the way, I'm in Washington state, so if any of you have your cars in the area I'd love to see how you have yours set up regarding the rollcage etc.
http://[flash=200,200][/flash]
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Redbird

Read the rule book for what you need.

If you need information on how to build a car, go to landracing.com. Plenty of information there, plus ability to ask questions by others that have done what you want to do.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and consider a 3rd generation Firebird. Least expensive way to go really fast for a reasonable cost. A lot faster than a Superbird, and considerably less expensive.

The money and safety requirements are QUITE high for this.

This is seriously good fun. As much fun as you can have with friends and a car. The whole experience, the people there, the place, and if it is your chosen hobby-the planning, work and long hours to get there are life changing-generally in a very good way.

Think for a really long time about safety. Seems like no big deal when you are young. But seriously planning on building a car in your garage, with quite limited understanding of how to make a passenger compartment safe? I know there are books and information out there. But really, the average home weekend warrior is ill equipped to build a safe car for this sort of thing. After you see cars wrecked at this, it becomes a lot more clear.

Don't plan on setting a record. Plan for safety and fun. Take as a given that there are people that know a LOT more than you do about this, and they have been going to Bonneville for Decades

RallyeMike

The rule book I have is really clear on how many connections points are required, etc. but it's also very outdated. Are you sure it's not in the book?

Better yet, try the Silver State Challenge..... cheaper to run, and more seat time (...have to put my plug in  :icon_smile_cool:  ).

(I'm near Seatac).
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Seabeckredneck

Redbird and Rallyemike,
  Thank you for the information and input. It is greatly appreciated.
  The newest copy of the SCTA rule book I was able to find is a 2015 edition, but I did receive an email from an inspector saying that the 2018 edition will be coming out in January. I look forward to obtaining a copy so I can see what's new and required. I did see the section on the roll cages but due to my ignorance of the terminology I'm not able to decipher the requirement. I mean, it talks about shoulder rails, front hoops, but I'm sure the shop that builds it for me will understand and know the requirement.
  I have been scouring the internet, various forums looking for the information and did see a couple pages of yours Redbird. Looks like you've "been there, done that". So I don't take your input lightly. I will go back and find more of your pages to review.
  I do understand the significance of safety. I've somehow made to 55 years of age, (not sure how) but I definitely want to live through a high speed run (or more) if anything for the bragging rights. With that said, I know my shop skills are limited and therefore will have the important features, such as the roll cage, professionally fabricated and installed.
  I definitely do not expect on setting any records other than personal ones. I do appreciate the suggestion of the 3rd gen Firebird, and from what I've read of "salt fever" I may consider that in the future. My passion and dreams of a Superbird originate back in my teenage years of the 70's. With my disposable income never exceeding the amount of the cost of a real Superbird, I can only build my own. Add to that, the unwavering desire to reach 200 miles per hour in a Superbird drives this project.
  Now as for the cost. I am afraid to find out the total cost to achieve this goal. At best, I buy bits and pieces a little at a time and don't look back. I'm only getting started and I know I've already spent a LOT of money.  I'm doing a lot of research now so I do it right the first time. That's why I appreciate everyone's input as I look to you as a mentors.
  Rallymike, I haven't heard of the Silver State Challenge, but I will look into it.
  Thanks again gentlemen. Any and all information only fuels my drive to reach 200MPH.

Have a great holiday season,
   Chris

5hunert

Seabeckredneck, if you're in beautiful Kitsap county, so am I.  We should get together for a beverage, and I can wax poetic at the joy of watching the Silverstate Classic (at 160+) from the passenger seat of RallyeMikes blue terror. It was a rush.

Seabeckredneck

Hey 5hunert,
  I am in Kitsap county, out in the Seabeck area. (obviously). I'd love to hear about your ride along. We'll have to find a time to meet up. Maybe go to the Garage. Let me know what works for you.
  Chris

Seabeckredneck

Hey RalleyMike,
  So I looked up the SSCC event you were talking about and that looks like a blast! I would love to hear about it. What class did you run in? I may have to get to your side of the water to hear some stories.

Chris

5hunert

The Garage sounds good!  I work in Bremerton. I'll send you a pm and we can set something up.

Seabeckredneck

Hey Jack and Mike,
  Just checking in to say Howdy and that I haven't got much work done on the car lately. I'm still ordering parts like the rear window glass and having some parts made.
  I've got DonC making the A pillar wind deflectors and after I make a template of the rear glass, he'll make the rear plug.
  I'm looking forward to the Silver State Challenge in May. and I'll drive at the Vegas Speedway to get my certificate while I'm down there. So maybe I can do the rookie run in September. I'm thinking I'll do that in my BMW since I'm limited to under 120. What are your thoughts?
  Other than that, just working a lot!
  Chris