News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fender Scoop repair

Started by oldcarnut, March 09, 2018, 02:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I started to get my scoops set up for mounting and ran into some problems.  The mounting pedistals crack and split when trying to screw into the threads.  Looks like it's just plain resin. They were retapped to clean up but just split or break off at the slightest pressure.  They're unused so it's not been prestressed before.  What I started to do to one was to rivet an insert into one end of tubing and swedge out the other to fit the fg pedistal. After cutting off the cracked up pieces, getting a good fit and correct height, I epoxied it on. Seems to look like it will work.  Before I do the rest, I was wondering what others have done that may be a better way?  As you can see in one of the pics even the bottom where's it's connects to the scoop has popped out a fragment but thread doesn't go down that far.

odcics2

I have seen JB Weld used with good results in the past on real scoops.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

oldcarnut

Quote from: odcics2 on March 09, 2018, 08:59:23 PM
I have seen JB Weld used with good results in the past on real scoops.   :Twocents:
I had thought about that or titanium putty. In the interest of time getting this done I went ahead and started using the threaded inserts in the expanded tubing.  At least I know that the threads won't be pulling out or cracking.  Still would be nice to see some other repair method pics posted.

odcics2

Looks pretty good to me.  :coolgleamA:
They will blend right in when painted. 
:cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

superbirdtom

I really like Q BOND for any plastic repair- its super strong and only thing weve found at the body shop that it sticks to many plastics and is structurally sound