News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona / Superbird age of ownership

Started by cudavic, March 09, 2018, 03:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Current age of Daytona / Superbird and '69 Charger 500 owners (real cars only not clones or recreations)

40 to 44
2 (3.3%)
45 to 49
7 (11.5%)
50 to 54
14 (23%)
55 to 60
16 (26.2%)
over 60
20 (32.8%)
Under 40 (added 1 day after initial poll was set up)
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: April 08, 2018, 03:57:22 PM

cudavic

Out of curiosity I wanted to make a poll of the current age of Dayton or Superbird owners. Current age only, not your age when you purchased your wing-car.
The poll is intended for owners of real cars only, not recreations or clones.
I am not ditching owners of clones or recreations, I am just wanting to keep the poll isolated to legitimate / authentic wing-cars.
If you do not fall in the options of age groups, and you feel comfortable in doing so please post your age as well as any other details you care to share. IE: multiple wing-car owner, age when purchased.
Thanks in advance, Sincerely Vic

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

WINGMAN

I bought my Daytona when I was 45 now I am a big 60.  :nana:  (Wingman) Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Mopar John

I bought my first wing car ( SUPERBIRD ) when I was 22 and am 64 now.
MJ

birdsandbees

Bought mine just before I turned 28, now turning 56 in 2 weeks.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on March 09, 2018, 05:08:47 PM
I bought my first wing car ( SUPERBIRD ) when I was 22 and am 64 now.
MJ
thats a beatles song    :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

talkiemopar

I bought my bird new when i was 28 on May 19th 1970--I am now 76   Rick    :cheers:  :blahblah: :blahblah:

4spdwing

440 4bbl 4spd Superbird  383 Auto Dart GTSport

69_500

Poll doesn't start a low enough age if your asking how old long time owners were when they first purchased a wing car.

Now if your looking for current ages, there are not many who are currently under 40.

Me, I am wingless. Just a 69 500 for me but still not old enough to be in the poll. Bought first 500 15 years ago now. Was 23 when I bought it.

Wingnut426

First wing car at 22, now I'm 60 years young. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

rainbow4jd

I was 23 when I  bought it - turning 60 in a month

Aero426

While hardly a complete sample, out of 19 owners, the median age is 50+ for 95% of the respondents.    A lot of long time owners who bought in before the major price spikes.   The high  average age does not bode well for the future.  Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?   

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: Aero426 on March 10, 2018, 07:47:25 AM
While hardly a complete sample, out of 19 owners, the median age is 50+ for 95% of the respondents.    A lot of long time owners who bought in before the major price spikes.   The high  average age does not bode well for the future.  Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?   

Can't afford them.  There are plenty of younger guys on here, so the hobby is alive and well.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

69_500

Well I have to wait until I get a Daytona to vote. And I would have to wait until I was 40 to vote as well. Lol

cudavic

Quote from: 69_500 on March 09, 2018, 09:47:24 PM
Poll doesn't start a low enough age if your asking how old long time owners were when they first purchased a wing car.

Now if your looking for current ages, there are not many who are currently under 40.

Me, I am wingless. Just a 69 500 for me but still not old enough to be in the poll. Bought first 500 15 years ago now. Was 23 when I bought it.

My intent on this poll is to determine the current age of wing car owners here.

I purposely started the age brackets on the high end as my thoughts were that most owners here are longtime owners and hence, the majority are older than forty. The poll is showing exactly what I thought it would, that most wing car owners are over fifty years old. If you look at the results so far, there are no current owners that are under 45 years of age.

If I were to have set up the poll on what age someone was when they purchased their wing-car I am certain I would have had many owners that were in the 20-24 year old, 25-30 year old, 31-35 year old bracket. It is my believe that the majority of wing-car owners are long time owners hence they are older in age.

I am however going to set up additional polls on how old wing-car owners were at the age of purchase, longevity of ownership as well as multiple wing-car ownership. The last poll I find kind of interesting as a good many wing-car owners are multiple car owners. They are so passionate about wing-cars that when they stumble across another one they just have to have it.

Your response did make me realize a flaw in my poll parameters. I should have made the poll to cover all aero-cars instead of wing-cars. This was a poor oversight on my part, as I believe the 1969 Charger 500 to be just as relevant to the poll results despite not having a nosecone and wing, especially considering their extremely low production figures. Therefore if you and any other owners, would please include the 1969 Dodge Charger 500 in this poll as they are aero-cars and should be included in the results. Thanks

Sincerely Vic

cudavic

Quote from: Aero426 on March 10, 2018, 07:47:25 AM

Aero, yes you are correct and part of the reasoning behind this poll which is to determine the current age of owners.
And yes, "The high average age does not bode well for the future" all things considered.

As far as your question, "Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?"
I believe the reality is that the younger generation that likes and collects cars, just prefer other cars that are of their generation. Nothing more or nothing less than that. However I am positive that there are going to always be exceptions and younger collectors that will always cherish and preserve the aero-cars.

Sincerely Vic

70 sublime

I am in my 50"s and would like to own a real wing car some day
Can not afford it right now so I am building a clone
Some day some day some day .....
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Moparpoolman

Not sure if you could edit a poll but if you can just add Charger 500 and add a 40 and under category or just change the 1st to 44 and under.  :Twocents:

cudavic

Quote from: Moparpoolman on March 10, 2018, 10:21:07 AM
Not sure if you could edit a poll but if you can just add Charger 500 and add a 40 and under category or just change the 1st to 44 and under.  :Twocents:

I have edited the poll to know include the 1969 Charger 500 and an under 40 year old current age of owner.
Unfortunately the option for under 40 years old is now out of sequence and the last option, #6 at the end of the poll.
I don't think it will create may issues if everyone responding reads all of the options through.
I would be surprised to see many under 40 replies, however now those that may be are included in this poll.
Thanks for your input and advice. Sincerely Vic

Stevetona

I'm 39 and hope to buy one in the not to distant future. The recent auction prices don't bode well though for me! Plus the low Canadian dollar pretty much puts me out of the running for now.  :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: cudavic on March 10, 2018, 09:27:16 AM
...the reasoning behind this poll which is to determine the current age of owners.

Is that so, if we are real old like me (54), you can order us all handicap parking permit?   :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Stevetona

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 10, 2018, 06:31:04 PM
...the reasoning behind this poll which is to determine the current age of owners.

Is that so, if we are real old like me (54), you can order us all handicap parking permit?   :icon_smile_big:

Since handicap parking spots are usually larger it would be ideal for a wing car.  :- ::)

Fitz73Chrgr

"Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?"
I believe the reality is that the younger generation that likes and collects cars, just prefer other cars that are of their generation. Nothing more or nothing less than that.

Seriously guys, that's not it.  Most people, let alone young people can not afford an aero car.  Owner's ages are higher because these are mostly people who have been successful in their careers and have disposable income now OR they bought them long ago before the prices were so high.  If prices were lower, younger people would drive them.

I'm 31.  If I could afford a Daytona I would buy one.  But right now, even R/T's are out of my price range.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

PettyMower

Purchased mine in 1986, at the age of 19....now I'm 51.