News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona / Superbird age of ownership

Started by cudavic, March 09, 2018, 03:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Current age of Daytona / Superbird and '69 Charger 500 owners (real cars only not clones or recreations)

40 to 44
2 (3.3%)
45 to 49
7 (11.5%)
50 to 54
14 (23%)
55 to 60
16 (26.2%)
over 60
20 (32.8%)
Under 40 (added 1 day after initial poll was set up)
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: April 08, 2018, 03:57:22 PM

Q5XX29

43 now, bought my Q5 Daytona when i was 39. Have several mopars (and others), but that's my only wing car. Might get some others at some point.
dakota_gt on Instagram

1969daytona

Quote from: cudavic on March 10, 2018, 09:27:16 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on March 10, 2018, 07:47:25 AM
While hardly a complete sample, out of 19 owners, the median age is 50+ for 95% of the respondents.    A lot of long time owners who bought in before the major price spikes.   The high  average age does not bode well for the future.  Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?  

Aero, yes you are correct and part of the reasoning behind this poll which is to determine the current age of owners.
And yes, "The high average age does not bode well for the future" all things considered.

As far as your question, "Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?"
I believe the reality is that the younger generation that likes and collects cars, just prefer other cars that are of their generation. Nothing more or nothing less than that. However I am positive that there are going to always be exceptions and younger collectors that will always cherish and preserve the aero-cars.

Sincerely Vic

Well its not all true... but then again i am not and young timer any more (33y) I have loved the wing cars since i was around 12. And there is more people like me.
But I realize it will be some more years before I get one. But oNe DAY :2thumbs:
( I have to ad 25% VAT to the cost of the car and the Shipping) :flame:

K-E
MoPar or NO car

SBBob

I will turn 67 this year.  I was lucky enough to by a 1970 Roadrunner brand new.  Sitting on the show room floor was the most beautiful car I had ever seen.  There was a Vitamin C Superbird!  The salesman was nice  enough and told me I was just able to get the regular one, but I vowed to have one someday.  It was in 1982 when I was lucky enough to get my Superbird after many trips out of town to look at one when it came up in the Auto Trader.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

cudavic

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 10, 2018, 06:31:04 PM
...the reasoning behind this poll which is to determine the current age of owners.

Is that so, if we are real old like me (54), you can order us all handicap parking permit?   :icon_smile_big:

I turn 54 this July. They say 50 is the new 40, I am just not sure who "THEY" are.  :lol:

cudavic

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on March 10, 2018, 07:51:17 PM
"Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?"
I believe the reality is that the younger generation that likes and collects cars, just prefer other cars that are of their generation. Nothing more or nothing less than that.

Seriously guys, that's not it.  Most people, let alone young people can not afford an aero car.  Owner's ages are higher because these are mostly people who have been successful in their careers and have disposable income now OR they bought them long ago before the prices were so high.  If prices were lower, younger people would drive them.

I'm 31.  If I could afford a Daytona I would buy one.  But right now, even R/T's are out of my price range.

Valid point on disposable income.
I agree, I can remember passing on a Superbird back in 1985.
The seller wanted nine thousand dollars at the time, which was on the high side for a Petty blue 440, automatic car.
However he could have been asking half that and I couldn't buy it without selling my '71 Cuda.

panhead

I was 46 when I got my C500 :2thumbs: I'll be 54 this year.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Luis9995

While hardly a complete sample, out of 19 owners, the median age is 50+ for 95% of the respondents.    A lot of long time owners who bought in before the major price spikes.   The high  average age does not bode well for the future.  Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?   

For me I have most of the money for a bird project but haven't been able to find one. Been looking since 17. Now 22. I've seen two on eBay but one was from a fire and the other was too far too restore and missing vin and everything pretty much. I love these it's my dream to own a superbird but just too dang hard to find. I do think most young people like modern cars but there's a few of us who do like the older ones and even fewer who are willing to save their money for a car this expensive. I know my friends rather get the same power from newer cars since ThTs what's in style with them.

70 sublime

Quote from: Luis9995 on March 11, 2018, 11:39:49 AM
While hardly a complete sample, out of 19 owners, the median age is 50+ for 95% of the respondents.    A lot of long time owners who bought in before the major price spikes.   The high  average age does not bode well for the future.  Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?   

For me I have most of the money for a bird project but haven't been able to find one. Been looking since 17. Now 22. I've seen two on eBay but one was from a fire and the other was too far too restore and missing vin and everything pretty much. I love these it's my dream to own a superbird but just too dang hard to find. I do think most young people like modern cars but there's a few of us who do like the older ones and even fewer who are willing to save their money for a car this expensive. I know my friends rather get the same power from newer cars since ThTs what's in style with them.

Curious how much $$ do you think you need to find a project bird ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Luis9995

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 11, 2018, 11:47:02 AM
While hardly a complete sample, out of 19 owners, the median age is 50+ for 95% of the respondents.    A lot of long time owners who bought in before the major price spikes.   The high  average age does not bode well for the future.  Is it because people in the younger group can't afford them, or prefer other cars?  

$5,000
Lol I'm just kidding.
Something along the lines of $40,000-$90,000 depending on if 440 or 6 pak bird and how much it's missing because wing car parts cost an arm and a leg. And also depending on the amount of rust repair needed.

70 sublime

Quote from: Luis9995 on March 11, 2018, 12:08:24 PM

$5,000
Lol I'm just kidding.
Something along the lines of $40,000-$90,000 depending on if 440 or 6 pak bird and how much it's missing because wing car parts cost an arm and a leg. And also depending on the amount of rust repair needed.

If you are only 22 and already have $40 000 saved up good for you
At that rate someday you will have a real wing car
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Luis9995

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 11, 2018, 02:59:47 PM

$5,000
Lol I'm just kidding.

Thanks! I'm hoping. I also have a 383-4 gran coupe 70 barracuda I'd sell. And a 72 340 demon I'd sell to get that a project bird. I just don't want to sell them until after because I know I won't be able to find them again.

moonlithaven

I bought my current Daytona recently, only back in July of 2016. It is a very special Daytona! It was very expensive but well worth it! I am now 62 and I love this Daytona more than any other car I ever owned!
T-5 Copper Daytona

Hoser2455

I purchased my Superbird in 1984. I was 24 at the time.  At the time I was saving up to put a blower on the 74 Cuda that I had.  I seen the Bird for sale in an Autotrader add and ended up buying it  thinking that I would like to restore it because I knew the car was kinda rare and I would never lose money on it.  I also was really liking the Birds then but could not afford a Hemi one.  The Bird I bought it needed restored and I was fortunate enough to keep it garaged and be able to hold onto it for 30 years.  Then 4 kids later I was able to save up enough to get it restored 30 years later.  I am 56 now.  It is the only car I have done now so I drive it like it is supposed to be, weather permitting.  Enjoying the heck out of it for 4 years now!! 

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 11, 2018, 02:59:47 PM

$5,000
Lol I'm just kidding.

Hopefully you've got more than that in a retirement account already.   :Twocents:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Aero426

I find there is a lot of crossover to the car hobby in other forms of collecting.   Here's a shot from a large slot car show in Chicago yesterday.    Look at the average age of the attendees and vendors.    We are all old!    Where are the younger people who will want to buy those mint in box slot cars and models you have been saving forever?      By and large, they don't exist!

FJ5WING

I have a similar story to several I've read. I bought my Bird in 87
when I was 23, now I'm 54.
wingless now, but still around.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on March 12, 2018, 11:57:59 AM
I find there is a lot of crossover to the car hobby in other forms of collecting.   Here's a shot from a large slot car show in Chicago yesterday.    Look at the average age of the attendees and vendors.    We are all old!    Where are the younger people who will want to buy those mint in box slot cars and models you have been saving forever?      By and large, they don't exist!

Same goes for the 'antique' radio crowd...

I'd also suggest that if you want a real wing car, unload your other cars to be in a cash position when one turns up...  Nothing worse that having to dump a car for less than it's worth to get fast cash. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Dragon Slayer

I have been into the Slotcar and train hobby starting early in the internet age.  The Slot car hobby was hot an crazy, then tanked.  Trains are same way, though the modern electronics with full command control and wifi have kept it going.

But the average age for cars, any older car is high.  So you do have to believe there will be a price reckoning sooner or later.

Recent vintage car show swap meeting and it was hard to watch the guys barely walking across the parking lot.  Canes, walkers, wheel chairs.
Mopar club of over a hundred folks and maybe 4-5 in the 30s, only one with antique car, other have modern challengers and charger.  Not interest in the older cars.  They hop up the new ones.
The rest of the young crowd go towards the Japanese cars.  Go to a good all vehicle type car show and watch the crowd and what they look at.  They will stop at the OEM Daytona, but they stay at the customized modern cars.

I think only the auction houses keep the price up, because they have made it a show/circus.  So folks with lots of disposable money do it for the competition and fun.

At some point cars will start to flood market.  Old person with collection unexpectedly passes.  His children not interest, and the wife (maybe second or third) wants to move immediately closer to grandkids and every thing sells well below current market.
Hoarders get eaten alive, there is so much stuff who can even deal with it or knows what it is, guess who gets most of it.  The scrape metal guys.  I have seen this first hand in my area.

So I do not believe the buy and hold applies to the collector market if you looking at investment.  I do believe that period has passed as in many other hobbies.  More losers then winners, other than BJ/Mecum etc...  They get 20% plus coming and going regardless and for about 3-4 minutes of work.

odcics2

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on March 15, 2018, 08:23:20 AM
I have been into the Slotcar and train hobby starting early in the internet age.  The Slot car hobby was hot an crazy, then tanked.  Trains are same way, though the modern electronics with full command control and wifi have kept it going.

But the average age for cars, any older car is high.  So you do have to believe there will be a price reckoning sooner or later.

Recent vintage car show swap meeting and it was hard to watch the guys barely walking across the parking lot.  Canes, walkers, wheel chairs.
Mopar club of over a hundred folks and maybe 4-5 in the 30s, only one with antique car, other have modern challengers and charger.  Not interest in the older cars.  They hop up the new ones.
The rest of the young crowd go towards the Japanese cars.  Go to a good all vehicle type car show and watch the crowd and what they look at.  They will stop at the OEM Daytona, but they stay at the customized modern cars.

I think only the auction houses keep the price up, because they have made it a show/circus.  So folks with lots of disposable money do it for the competition and fun.

At some point cars will start to flood market.  Old person with collection unexpectedly passes.  His children not interest, and the wife (maybe second or third) wants to move immediately closer to grandkids and every thing sells well below current market.
Hoarders get eaten alive, there is so much stuff who can even deal with it or knows what it is, guess who gets most of it.  The scrape metal guys.  I have seen this first hand in my area.

So I do not believe the buy and hold applies to the collector market if you looking at investment.  I do believe that period has passed as in many other hobbies.  More losers then winners, other than BJ/Mecum etc...  They get 20% plus coming and going regardless and for about 3-4 minutes of work.

Well stated.  Accurate, too. 
I know guys with pole barns stacked to the rafters with OEM and NOS stuff...   Waiting for... ??
If it all got unleashed across the country, the repop market would collapse!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

3--Daytona

I'm a little late in replying,as usual
First one  1974,,R4 red
Sec,one 1988   x9-black
Third one     2003  R5
All are still at home.

All daytona's                               Iam,, 82 years old

moparstuart

Quote from: 3--Daytona on March 15, 2018, 01:32:51 PM

First one  1974,,R4 red
Sec,one 1988   x9-black
Third one     2003  R5
All are still at home.

Hi Jim   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Hemi Runner

I'm 50 and building a clone. Buying an original would have been less expensive :brickwall:

moparstuart

Quote from: Hemi Runner on March 15, 2018, 03:28:15 PM
I'm 50 and building a clone. Buying an original would have been less expensive :brickwall:

yeah but what a clone it will be   :icon_smile_big:   Im 50 also
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Davtona

Quote from: 3--Daytona on March 15, 2018, 01:32:51 PM

First one  1974,,R4 red
Sec,one 1988   x9-black
Third one     2003  R5
All are still at home.

Hey Jim, Shouldn't this one read like this?

Third one     2003 F5   :scratchchin:

3--Daytona

.You are so correct sir,,  I didn't notice it tell after it was posted. F5 is on fender tag.  I will try harder next time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,