News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini-Starter Feedback:

Started by Captain D, March 10, 2018, 03:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi folks,

It's getting closer to spring & upgrades on the ol' 69' Charger, 383. I've got a pair of Hedman shorty headers at the shop now getting ceramic coated both inside / out and will install a new high torque mini-starter along with the headers in about a month.

Just curious to see what some feedback is on which mini-starter to get. I've heard good reviews on DB Electrical, Remy 94' Dodge Dakota, etc. Any consensus on which has the highest ratings for reliability, longevity, & overall preference? I realize all are probably just as equally good, but just curious to post as I get ready to buy...

Thank you for your time + any / all replies.

XH29N0G

I bought one form DB last fall, so not a lot of time running it, but it was straightforward to install (different headers than yours though) and has worked well for the first few months of use.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

68X426

DB has been great for me.  Way less expensive than PowerMaster (those bastards) and it's 1000% more dependable.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Bad B-rad

I have always had great luck with the cheap Mopar truck starter.(from any of the Magnum engines(5.2/5.9)
I used them in stock and mildly built big blocks(10.5 to 1 compression 440) and have had no issues, with cranking power, or speed
It has been always been a nice cheap option for me, and they are just about the same exact size as the other mini starters, I think on big blocks I just had to remove the adaptor for the starter cables.

HPP

I got a cheapy rebuilt truck unit from the local O'Reillys back in the early '90s. Been using it in my 11:1 small block ever since. It whips that thing over like nothing.

Captain D

Thank you gents for the replies! Yeah, I too was looking into those $250 mini-starters. But, the more that I read / learn, it appears that there's no need to. The DB Electrical units, and the like, seem to get the job done just fine. Thank you for the replies once more as I feel comfortable going with one of those vs. the $250 brands...

Best to all,  :cheers:

Captain D

...before we go to install the new mini-starter, just curious to learn if I am in need of different size installation bolts when making the transition from the larger / factory starter to one of these newer high torque mini-starters, by chance? I wouldn't think so, but simply trying to 'cover all of the bases' before we jump into it...

Thank you again for your time and insight,
Aaron

garner7555

You should be able to use the original bolts     :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Captain D

Thanks man for the info! Sound good, I'll simply use my preexisting bolts from the old starter for the new one.

Thank you again,
Aaron

NHCharger

I bought this one. Cranks the 440 over no problem.
One thing, this starter is actually a little fatter than my stock starter. I had to ding the header a bit to clear the starter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132220644257
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Captain D

Ah, that's the one I just purchased as well! Thank you for the feedback as that's exactly what I'm looking for, I appreciate it.  :2thumbs:

NHCharger

FYI. You will need to remove that plastic extension for the wiring.  And wire the starter before you bolt it in. Not much clearance between the studs for the wires and the block.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

gtx6970

Quote from: Captain D on March 10, 2018, 03:40:40 PM
Hi folks,

It's getting closer to spring & upgrades on the ol' 69' Charger, 383. I've got a pair of Hedman shorty headers at the shop now getting ceramic coated both inside / out and will install a new high torque mini-starter along with the headers in about a month.

Just curious to see what some feedback is on which mini-starter to get. I've heard good reviews on DB Electrical, Remy 94' Dodge Dakota, etc. Any consensus on which has the highest ratings for reliability, longevity, & overall preference? I realize all are probably just as equally good, but just curious to post as I get ready to buy...

Thank you for your time + any / all replies.

Ive used maybe a half dozen starters from DB electrical. ( via ebay ) And not one single issue so far on any of them

Captain D

Awesome news - glad to hear it. I'll be sure to make note of the tips, as well - thanks for the friendly 'heads-up.'

oldcarnut

A little late in the game but I'm having to take my db starter out.  Not much use on it but over a year since I bought it. It works for most times then just won't do anything.  No engagement, no noise for solenoid, relay just clicks.  I first replaced the relay but it still occurs.  I tired of getting left in a parking lot and having to knock on the starter with a pole to make it work.

Captain D

Hmm, wonder how the 94' Dodge Dakota mini starters are compared to the DB brand - probably about the same more or less. I did order a DB, but I do like when I can buy locally (easier for returns, etc.). I dunno, maybe I should just go for broke and order a Powermaster brand... :shruggy: I read somewhere that the Powermaster starters tend to use up more amps though...?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/9613/10002/-1

oldcarnut

I'm going to give mine one more round.  Somehow I found one of the bolts not tight good as I was in process of taking it off.  Also appears that starter likes a good ground so maybe I was losing ground with the bolt loose although the other was tight. Time will tell.

Captain D

Thanks for the clarification - the DB arrived today; perhaps I'll stick with them & give em' a shot...

firefighter3931

Been recommending the DB starter for years and have been using the same one on my car with 2 different engine combinations for over a decade. That little badboy spins my 572 stroker over like a 4 cylinder. It is the real deal !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Captain D

Thanks Ron for the reply + info - good info to learn indeed as I appreciate you sharing. I know you wouldn't steer me, or anyone, wrong.  ;) The new DB Starter goes in next weekend! Many thank you's to everyone who responded with feedback...you guys are the best!  :2thumbs:

oldcarnut

Unfortunately mine still decides to not work intermittently.  A couple wraps from the tire iron and it will crank.  Seems to get worse with it hot.  Hopefully I can pull it off again and break down the solinoid to check for any issues.  Not sure what else to check

Captain D

Hi all,

Finally got the shorty headers & DB Electrical mini-starter combo installed (I previously had big long tube Hooker headers). I had the headers ceramic coated both interior as well as exterior, better quality gaskets (none of the 'paper' gaskets stuff), etc. In choosing which set-up to go with, I opted for the shorty headers over the manifolds to help cut down on the heat. Plus with this set-up, tune-ups are easier to do, greater access to the engine, transmission, and, of course, the starter. Speaking of which, the DB fires up the car much much faster now vs. the old stock / factory starter - I'll never go back, lol.  ;) With my Charger simply being a cruiser, this set-up worked out perfectly. Anyhow, not the greatest pic (cell phone), but attached is a quick shot of the new starter and the amount of clearances that I now have with the Hedman shorty headers (I apologize for the huge pic...still trying to reduce image size). Thanks again for all of the tips, feedback, and for looking!  :)

garner7555

Glad to hear that you are happy with the new setup.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Captain D

Thanks man, I 'preciate it!  :cheers:

myk

These mini starters are lighter than the stock one, also...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"