News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Standard Steering wheel removal

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, March 15, 2018, 08:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

Can someone tell me how to get the horn pad off of my 69 Standard steering wheel? I suppose the main nut to remove the wheel is under the horn pad? I have a steering wheel puller if I can just get to the nut.

Thanks

Charger-Bodie

Pry the emblem out of the center of the horn pad. Under it is a bolt,remove it. Then the three Phillips screws that hold the nut disc in place. After you remove that you can see the wheel nut,but you will need to remove the horn switch to be able to use the puller.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Sixt8Chrgr

birdsandbees

The orientation "lock tab" is at 3 o'clock.. so pry at 9 very carefully!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 21, 2018, 12:27:59 AM
The orientation "lock tab" is at 3 o'clock.. so pry at 9 very carefully!

Great picture thank you. I got the center piece out and back in without any issues. I got the steering wheel off and lubricated the bearing that I wanted to lube and cleaned up the steering wheel. I still have what I would say is an unnatural feel when I turn the wheel. It feels like the bearing is bad in the column? I had the steering box restored by firm feel, and prior to restoration I don't remember this "crunchy" feel in the steering wheel? What should be next for me to check?

Just 6T9 CHGR

You could isolate the column from the steering box by disconnecting the joint at the steering box.  Then you can determine which one is at fault & move forward... :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T