News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Options for loss of ignition/door keys?

Started by Chargerguy74, March 15, 2018, 11:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerguy74

I recently had a fire destroy all my Charger keys (this will definitely change how I do things in the future). Are there any options available to me to get new keys made without changing out the ignition cylinder and door/trunk locks? I have not yet spoken to a locksmith, thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks  :cheers:
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

68X426

Some 50 year old key cylinders are so loose or worn that any old Mopar key may just fit and work.  Worth a try, costs nothing.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Chargerguy74

I did try one set from my '72, but no dice.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

XH29N0G

My guess is that they could do this, but I am not 100% sure.  I think they would need the key cylinder.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Ghoste

A locksmith should be able to help you, they aren't a particularly complicated style of lock.

Bad B-rad

I once had a key made for a 1970 Duster, by giving the locksmith the lock from the door.
He then made me a key for it, and the door and ignition keys were the same.
It was cheap but also was 18-20 years ago.

Nacho-RT74

If can be made locally in Venezuela, can be made up there. Don't bother about ign switch cylinder, is harder to deal with that needing to remove the steering wheel. If your car still gets doors and ign switch matched, remove one of the doors cylinders and take it to a dedicated shop. They will get you the new key set based on that.

I would in fact, use the passenger side door to make the key, which USUALLY is the less stressed of all cylinders. Driver and Ign are usually the more used, and inner locks uses to be worn
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chargerguy74

Thanks guys. I'll get on that. Good tip on the passenger side Nacho.

Alaskan_TA

Your ignition cylinder will have an ID number on it.

With that number, I can cut NOS keys for you.

My contact email can be found at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/contact.shtml

Here is an example on a 1970 cylinder;

Chargerguy74

Excellent! Thanks Barry! I'll be in touch.