News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I replace the LCA shaft bushings??

Started by bakerhillpins, March 17, 2018, 11:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

All,

I rebuilt my entire front end last year and due to a variety of issues I ended up tightening the LCA shaft nut to torque specs while it was on the lift.  :brickwall:  I realized this after about 100 mi of driving. Is it necessary to pull the LCAs and replace the bushings? Do you think it caused excessive twisting on the T-bars?

Once I realized it I put the car up on jacks, loosened the nuts, dropped the car to the ground, and then tightened them under suspension load like I was supposed to.

Thanks,
Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

John_Kunkel

If the bushings were new at the time, I doubt there's any lasting damage to the bushings. "Over-twisting" damage to the rubber usually appears over long-time use.

Did you jounce the suspension several times while the pin nut was loose? If not, the pin might not have changed position.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bakerhillpins

Yes, they were fresh bushings. So my recollection was that I did bounce the car several times on each front corner because I needed to reset the ride height adjustment and that's part of that process. The sad part is that while I remember doing it I'm still questioning myself. I suppose in the end I will simply spend the 15 minutes doing it again as it will be less grief/worry in the long run.

Thanks for the feedback John!
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

NHCharger

In the FSM does it tell you to tighten those LCA shaft nuts with the suspension under load? I looked briefly today but couldn't see anything.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bakerhillpins

Page 2-9 in the Front Suspension And Steering Linkage section. (Only have a digital copy on phone ATM.)

Installation Section,
Step 4)
"Install lower control arm shaft washer and nut finger tight only"
Step 12)
"Lower vehicle to floor"
Step 13)
"Tighten lower control arm shaft nut 130ft-lbs..."
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

charger Downunder

[/quote]