News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your tax dollars at work.

Started by Lennard, March 18, 2018, 05:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Woah! They're gonna need fresh diapers after that one!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ponch ®

Is it me or does it look like the first chopper wasn't in the right spot?  It's too far to the right of the "box" painted on the tarmac. Not that the pilot of the 2nd one shouldnt have been better at checking for clearance...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

dual fours

Here. then click on Satellite. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pasadena+Police+Department+-+Benedict+Heliport/@34.1831272,-118.1708266,147m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sPasadena,+California+police+helopad!3m4!1s0x80c2c25b50557355:0xa0b8d54b4752e531!8m2!3d34.1834802!4d-118.1710373

On deck chopper was on ORANGE #1 and incoming landed on WHITE #2 (?). It should have landed on ORANGE #2.
EDIT: OH I see, looks like there has been a update to the tarmac since the crash. I see another landing pad has been added to the rear of original pads.  I guess that won't happen again.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Troy

Quote from: Ponch ® on March 18, 2018, 12:27:34 PM
Is it me or does it look like the first chopper wasn't in the right spot?  It's too far to the right of the "box" painted on the tarmac. Not that the pilot of the 2nd one shouldnt have been better at checking for clearance...
That's the first thing I noticed when they pulled it out. They didn't leave much room. However.............. the pilot of the incoming craft is responsible for making sure they can land safely. They stopped, turned and (presumably) verified the landing area. This is important because the pilot in a helicopter sits on the right. Once he turned to land and the parked copter was on his left it was probably difficult to see their own rotor tips on that side. Seems like someone on the ground could have helped guide them in - but that may not be standard procedure. If they're parking in the hangar it really doesn't matter if you're close to the door so they could have easily dropped it right on that far edge after looking in.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68X426

Drinking and driving always leads to problems.  :o

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Derwud

My Tax Dollars hard at work..

PPD was one of the first Police forces to use Helos..

Yep, first for Ghetto Birds..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Ponch ®

Quote from: Troy on March 18, 2018, 01:47:06 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on March 18, 2018, 12:27:34 PM
Is it me or does it look like the first chopper wasn't in the right spot?  It's too far to the right of the "box" painted on the tarmac. Not that the pilot of the 2nd one shouldnt have been better at checking for clearance...
That's the first thing I noticed when they pulled it out. They didn't leave much room. However.............. the pilot of the incoming craft is responsible for making sure they can land safely. They stopped, turned and (presumably) verified the landing area. This is important because the pilot in a helicopter sits on the right. Once he turned to land and the parked copter was on his left it was probably difficult to see their own rotor tips on that side. Seems like someone on the ground could have helped guide them in - but that may not be standard procedure. If they're parking in the hangar it really doesn't matter if you're close to the door so they could have easily dropped it right on that far edge after looking in.

Troy

She f-ed up. You know what they say happens when you assume...

QuoteOn final she observed N96BM on the ground and assumed it to be on pad 1; at the time there was no direct/established communications with the pilot of N96BM. The pilot hover-taxied to Pad 2, and was concentrating on keeping her helicopter in the box for Pad 2. She stated that she was getting on the radios to tell the passengers to stay put, and simultaneously lowered pitch; at that point the, "sky fell." The pilot stated that she had seen two helmets in the helicopter, but did not have eye contact with the pilot or TFO of the other helicopter.

The pilot stated that the windscreen and side windows were wet with water drops. She was looking forward to stay straight and utilizing the chin window and her periphery to land inside the box.

The pilot stated that at the time she did not realize that the parked helicopter (N96BM) was not in the box. Her state of mind was that the other helicopter was in the box, so pay attention to your box when you land, and you'll be fine.

https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20121118X14342&ntsbno=WPR13GA044A&akey=1
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West