News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Roadrunner barn find...

Started by Dr V, March 18, 2018, 07:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr V

Hello all, long time no see. Figured I would  share a pretty cool story with you all. Been buying a lot of cars both new and old for the last couple of years and I ran into an ad last Monday that intrigued me. A B5 blue Roadrunner that was only 80 miles away. So I went through the formality of sending an email through classiccars.com and received a call from the owner of the car the following day. This is where the story gets neat. A woman tells me that she is representing her uncle who has been placed in a nursing home with dementia in his mid 80s and she is in charge of the estate because she is his only living niece. I'm immediately thinking this is a scam and this conversation is going to end quickly, but then she says... The man had no family and no one to help him, so im now in charge of the entire estate. Come to find out she has no need for this muscle car that he had left behind. He worked in Cleveland all of his life for an auto manufacturing supply company that made parts for Detroit's big 3.... And now to the car, I asked her to send me a few pictures and she did including the fender tag. After I told her how to open the hood. The car turns out to be a B5 blue with B5 blue interior 1970 440 six pack Roadrunner. Air Grabber Hood, hood mounted turn signals, the works. He bought the car brand new in 1971 at Don Jordan Chrysler in Cleveland Ohio and took it off the road in late 1974 after a scare with the bias ply tires. He was a multiple car owner so he parked this one, put a security system on it, dealer-installed of course to prevent his car from being stripped in the early seventies in downtown Cleveland. That is where the car sat, in his garage until last year. His niece transferred the car to her home garage and after one year of waiting for the title through the state of Ohio she put the car up for sale.  Two different local dealers came to look at the car last week and obviously  the offers were not good enough for her.  We came to an agreement and the car is now home in my collection and the woman could not be happier that it went to a good home. I snapped a few pictures this afternoon and placed them in a Google file for everyone to view. The car is all numbers matching, with grease pencil markings on both the spare tire and the Dana. It is a complete Time Capsule, and the best part is the car only has 5082 miles on it. Looking underneath the driver seat the build sheet is there as well as a newspaper that was underneath the passenger seat from the Cleveland Plain Dealer dated 1971. The car has been sitting for 44 years and shows a little bit of surface rust but is one of the most solid cars that I've ever seen. As you can all imagine I'm on Cloud 9 right now, we search for cars our entire lives and love this hobby so much and it finally happened to me. If there are any questions at all bring them on. Enjoy. Eric

Dr. V's 1970 6bbl Barn Find Roadrunner
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5qK2O4ckqAO73LqE3
This Damn Car Thing Is Getting Expensive!

hemi68charger

All I can say is WOW !!!!  Nice find V !!!!!
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

chargermick

Wow!!! You hit the lottery. Congrats.

68X426

Unbelievable. Awesome for you.  :2thumbs:

Pics are great too, 99 cent fish and chips, wow. Thanks for sharing the pics.  :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

FY1 Charger

Nice find  :cheers:, what are your plans for it?

Dr V

Probably just going to leave it as is, its just too cool as it is...   I may get it running though without disturbing it, its heavy to push around...

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Troy

One of my favorite cars! Six Pack or not. I have a hard time buying low mileage cars because I just want to drive all the time.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

66FBCharger

Awesome.
What a great reference for my resto on my 70 440+6 4 speed road runner coupe! Thanks for posting all the pics.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Bad B-rad

GREAT STORY!!!!
GREAT CAR!!!
And GREAT PHOTOS!!!!
You got a once in a lifetime car there!!!!!
In the photos, the picture of the marker light, has like a lock, to the left of the lens. I want to call it the tumbler style,(looks like it takes the round key with the hollow center) for old freezers, or Snap on tool boxes, what is that for?

Dr V

Quote from: Bad B-rad on March 19, 2018, 12:23:25 PM
GREAT STORY!!!!
GREAT CAR!!!
And GREAT PHOTOS!!!!
In the photos, the picture of the marker light, has like a lock, to the left of the lens. I want to call it the tumbler style,(looks like it takes the round key with the hollow center) for old freezers, or Snap on tool boxes, what is that for?

That is a key lock that deactivates the alarm system on the car that was installed in 1971. This guy must have been neurotic thinking that someone was going to strip his car down in Inner City Cleveland . There are red wires that run from there all the way up through the body of the car, and there is a silver box next to the battery tray in front of the master cylinder that has a policeman face on it. That is the brain for the alarm system. There is an air horn looking device right next to the alternator as well. That's the siren. There are two plungers one near the trunk lid in the back and also one on the radiator core support when they are active the alarm is on in order to turn it off you would have to have a special key way to enter the car since obviously there were no push button technology back then. In the left rear quarter panel is where the deactivation key was placed. It is insane.

Troy

Quote from: Bad B-rad on March 19, 2018, 12:23:25 PM
GREAT STORY!!!!
GREAT CAR!!!
And GREAT PHOTOS!!!!
Security system.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mytur Binsdirti

Nice score & nice pile 'o stuff you have.  :2thumbs:

If you ever consider selling the white 68 Charger, I'd like first dibs please.        :yesnod:

Dr V

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 19, 2018, 01:05:13 PM
Nice score.  :2thumbs:

If you ever consider selling the white 68 Charger, I'd like first dibs please.        :yesnod:

I will keep u in mind..  That was my first baby ever..   Ive owned near 24 cars over the last 8 years and that one and my Ford are the only ones still hanging in there...  Love affair I guess

tan top

:o :faint: wow , awesome !   great stuff  , thanks for sharing  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dave Kanofsky

Wow, that's sweet!
Thanks for sharing
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

moparstuart

Wanna trade it for a 68 charger  Barn find  ?   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68X426

Quote from: Dr V on March 19, 2018, 12:39:21 PM
This guy must have been neurotic thinking that someone was going to strip his car down in Inner City Cleveland

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!  :smilielol:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

CRW-FK5

Really nice car.  Glad to hear you don't plan on going through a full restoration on it.  The originality is priceless.  It was certainly ordered with all the right options, too.  Hope to see it someday.  Thanks for sharing.

67440chrg

Just 6T9 CHGR

I see its got the Brooklyn, NY style hood lock as well!  Cool find & nice stable you have there!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

The Brooklyn Hood Lock.  Haha, I like that.

Dr V

Quote from: Ghoste on March 21, 2018, 05:37:35 AM
The Brooklyn Hood Lock.  Haha, I like that.
Bad times back then I guess.   My dad was at the university of Detroit during those years...   yikes

Charger_Dart

Nice Find! So jealous as I have wanted one of those for many years  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

birdsandbees

COOL !!! Great find. I used the same hood lock method in the late 70's early 80's!  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

BDF

Awsome score & story, thanks for sharing  :2thumbs:

Charger_Fan

At first I couldn't figure our the reason for the ratty old chain on the front bumper...until I saw the shot of the hood open with the chain dangling.  :lol: Brooklyn hood lock?!?  :smilielol:

That car alarm looks like it came straight out of the 50's.
Have you figured out what the toggle switch under the steering column is for?

Congrats on the amazing find, that is so cool! Although...if it was me, I think I would have at least stopped at a car wash on the way & blown off the crap on the outside first.  ;D Great looking garage too, along with the rest of your collection. Thanks for sharing the cool pics!  :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dual fours

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 21, 2018, 02:44:18 PM
COOL !!! Great find. I used the same hood lock method in the late 70's early 80's!  :yesnod:
Really cool purchase. Like you two guys, I used a dog choker chain and padlock for my aftermarket hood lock back in the late 70's and a siren for theft deterrent and nosy bastereds, just like you have, both are still in place. I had a switch/button installed back then so I could sound the siren while driving down the street. Silly me. 
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Q5XX29

Very cool find- thanks for sharing! Our tastes are similar, with our collections, right down to the color of our Ford GTs. Love your '68 Charger. Hit me up next, if Mytur passes! 😂
dakota_gt on Instagram

6pkrtse

Awesome find & way the hell nicer than my 70' Road Runner find, but mine was free. So, I am not complaining.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic