News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edelbrock carb runs awful for 4 mins, then gets better...ideas?

Started by AKcharger, March 24, 2018, 11:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I have an edelbrock 750 that runs awful for the first 3-4 min. Super rich, smokes acts like it's flooded/running on 4-6 cylinders. After a few minutes, it clears up and is fine. Any quick fixes or suggestions?

- Electric choke and seems to be opening ok
- Exact same issue on both '72 and '70 so it's not the car
- Issue started about 2 months ago
- 18 months old

Thanks in advance

RECHRGD

Sure sounds like a choke issue.  Have you witnessed it actually going from closed to open?
13.53 @ 105.32

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

AKcharger

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 24, 2018, 04:35:30 PM
Sure sounds like a choke issue.  Have you witnessed it actually going from closed to open?

Not really, choke closed when I start and after it gets running better choke is open. But it's not acting so much as a stuck choke as a stuck float that's dumping gas like crazy

Alfa... :slap:

Back N Black

Mopar Nut

I've never had good luck running edelbrock's, sounds like the same problems I had.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

AKcharger

Quote from: Back N Black on March 25, 2018, 10:47:10 PM
Check float level in carb, could be too high.

I'll look at that, maybe one stuck?

Molar nut, I'm kinda with ya, seems millions of people make them work well but best I can do is make then work...OK

AKcharger

Well, it's working OK now that I put it on my '70. I think a faulty ballast resistor on the '72 might have something to do with it? When I install a new ballast resistor I move the carb back nd see what happens

Simonic

After watching your gif for some time.........
I'm interested to see how you get on with this carb. I tried for some time to run one on a big block and had various problems. I went to the 650 AVS and found it to be a much better carb and easier to set up.

Good Luck  :2thumbs:
Mopar owner in the UK..

AKcharger

They work, but I can tell there's a lot more power both engines could make with a proper set up. But I value commonality between both cars so I can swap parts...Like I did and simplicity and drivability. One day I'll have to pull the trigger and get a Fuel injection set ups.

lol...up gif is much better than the "save the chickens gif I used to have

W4ATL

I have one with the exact same issue since it was installed. It cranks great but acts like it's rich for a few minutes. I manually open the choke after cranking cold and it idled much better, so I adjusted the electric choke so it opens faster but that doesn't help the problem and it actually stumbles worse on takeoff until it warms up. So I can adjust the electric choke to run rich for the first few minutes, or stumble on takeoff.  Otherwise, the carb is great once it is warmed up. Great throttle response, no hesitation on acceleration like with the old AVS I never could get quite right.

c00nhunterjoe

If you put it on another car and dont have the issue, its clearly not the carb. The carb gets blamed for everything. Check for hot spark, whats your initial timing?

AKcharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 12, 2018, 05:45:44 AM
If you put it on another car and dont have the issue, its clearly not the carb. The carb gets blamed for everything. Check for hot spark, whats your initial timing?

Hi coonhunter, yup, I'm targeting the ballast resistor, after about 5 min running it gets so hot you can't touch it, I'll swap that out next week

Back N Black

That's normal for the ballast resistor to be too hot to touch.