News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Missing trunk floor extensions

Started by RECHRGD, March 24, 2018, 08:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

My 68 is missing these pieces that go on the lower backside of the quarter panels.  Not being a body guy I didn't even realize that they were missing until recently.  I've had the car for over twenty years and it is very solid and basically rust free.  The only body panel that was replaced is the flat deck behind the rear window, to my knowledge.  The car has undercoating on it that covers the whole area that I always thought was factory.  That said, is there any possibility that this car made it out of the factory minus these pieces?  I know that The aftermarket now sells these things.  Should I put them on the car?  They just look to me as a potential moisture trap to accelerate quarter panel rot......
13.53 @ 105.32

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

RECHRGD

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 24, 2018, 08:31:12 PM
Could we see some pics?

Oh, how I wish I could.  I only work from my iPad now and can't seem to resize anything to make this site happy.  All the factory tabs are there to mount the extension piece to, but the whole area is covered with undercoating.
13.53 @ 105.32

birdsandbees

That'd be a lot of undercoat! You sure..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

Maybe I'm not missing anything the more I look at this.  Does the lower part of the quarter panels have no backing?  Just the outer skin?
13.53 @ 105.32

green69rt

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 24, 2018, 08:09:15 PM
My 68 is missing these pieces that go on the lower backside of the quarter panels.  Not being a body guy I didn't even realize that they were missing until recently.  I've had the car for over twenty years and it is very solid and basically rust free.  The only body panel that was replaced is the flat deck behind the rear window, to my knowledge.  The car has undercoating on it that covers the whole area that I always thought was factory.  That said, is there any possibility that this car made it out of the factory minus these pieces?  I know that The aftermarket now sells these things.  Should I put them on the car?  They just look to me as a potential moisture trap to accelerate quarter panel rot......

I'm going to take a crack at this.  Those lower panels you talk about are actually there, just hard to tell.  Look inside the trunk, between the quarter and the trunk floor ( the extensions you talk about.)  If you take a piece of thin plastic and shove it down between the sheet metal of the quarter and the trunk floor it should go down.  You may or may not be able to stick your fingers down there.  If you look under the car it may look like the quarter is just one layer of metal but it's actually two.   This thin gap is famous as a place where things are lost.

As for moisture, there should be some rubber plugs under there that have drains molded in.

They look like this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-74-Charger-Trunk-Floor-Extension-Drain-Plugs-NEW/400518773619?hash=item5d40c77b73:g:NiwAAOxyFiRRzJ6Z&vxp=mtr

RECHRGD

Quote from: green69rt on March 24, 2018, 09:45:53 PM
My 68 is missing these pieces that go on the lower backside of the quarter panels.  Not being a body guy I didn't even realize that they were missing until recently.  I've had the car for over twenty years and it is very solid and basically rust free.  The only body panel that was replaced is the flat deck behind the rear window, to my knowledge.  The car has undercoating on it that covers the whole area that I always thought was factory.  That said, is there any possibility that this car made it out of the factory minus these pieces?  I know that The aftermarket now sells these things.  Should I put them on the car?  They just look to me as a potential moisture trap to accelerate quarter panel rot......

I'm going to take a crack at this.  Those lower panels you talk about are actually there, just hard to tell.  Look inside the trunk, between the quarter and the trunk floor ( the extensions you talk about.)  If you take a piece of thin plastic and shove it down between the sheet metal of the quarter and the trunk floor it should go down.  You may or may not be able to stick your fingers down there.  If you look under the car it may look like the quarter is just one layer of metal but it's actually two.   This thin gap is famous as a place where things are lost.

As for moisture, there should be some rubber plugs under there that have drains molded in.

They look like this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-74-Charger-Trunk-Floor-Extension-Drain-Plugs-NEW/400518773619?hash=item5d40c77b73:g:NiwAAOxyFiRRzJ6Z&vxp=mtr

Interesting, I'll take a look tomorrow.  It just seems weird that tabs and slots exist that want something attached to them......
13.53 @ 105.32

70 sublime

I am working on that spot on my car right now
Took first picture then noticed something then took second picture

Yes a place for stuff to get stuck over the years and junk bits do start it to rot out in this spot
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

Found a 1/2 by 9/16 open end wrench , long bolt that looks like used on alternator two smaller bolts and an allen wrench and a hand full of crude
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Lennard

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 24, 2018, 10:17:51 PM
Found a 1/2 by 9/16 open end wrench , long bolt that looks like used on alternator two smaller bolts and an allen wrench and a hand full of crude
Score!  :lol:

RECHRGD

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 24, 2018, 09:54:01 PM
Quote from: green69rt on March 24, 2018, 09:45:53 PM
My 68 is missing these pieces that go on the lower backside of the quarter panels.  Not being a body guy I didn't even realize that they were missing until recently.  I've had the car for over twenty years and it is very solid and basically rust free.  The only body panel that was replaced is the flat deck behind the rear window, to my knowledge.  The car has undercoating on it that covers the whole area that I always thought was factory.  That said, is there any possibility that this car made it out of the factory minus these pieces?  I know that The aftermarket now sells these things.  Should I put them on the car?  They just look to me as a potential moisture trap to accelerate quarter panel rot......

They look like this. 

Interesting, I'll take a look tomorrow.  It just seems weird that tabs and slots exist that want something attached to them......

Yes, you are right!  After further research and some dialogue with Charger-Bodi, it seem my car has all its vital parts... :cheers:
13.53 @ 105.32